To upgrade or not to upgrade tower speakers

AudioHobby

Hey everyone,

so I’ve gotten the urge to upgrade since I’ve joined the community (probably not a big surprise 😆). I’ve recently picked up a second sub and also ordered a RP-450C (replacing a R-25C). I’m wondering if my tower speakers will pair ok with the new center? I’ll test it out when it arrives but, figured I’d ask in case someone else has been in a similar situation.

My current set up is below. 
Denon AVR-X2300W - receiver

R-28F front left and right

RP-450C

R-120SW & R-10SW - subs

Mirage Nanosat - surrounds

thanks

Hey @wuzzzer
thanks for the reply. I mainly watch movies and tv. Not hearing the dialogue clearly always seems to be an issue for me. Therefore, if the RP-450C solves that problem, I’ll be pretty happy. The second sub was a huge improvement even though they don’t match. I’m excited to try the bigger center. I was thinking maybe the RP-280F’s as well (if I upgrade). I’ve heard good things.

Edited by AudioHobby
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AudioHobby said:

Do you think I’ll hear a strange difference in voices when dialogue moves from the center to left or right mains when watching movies? Not sure if it will sound unnatural since the RP will have a titanium tweeter and the mains have aluminum.

Hard to tell. Of course there will be some sonic difference because different speakers sets were Voice-Matched together but everyone's hearing is different. Either psychologically  or actually being impressed with the new center channel may or may not change your opinion of your mains especially if you have upgradeits....That said, I played around putting an RC-7 between RF-3s and immediately noticed the difference in SQ between my mains and center when I realized aesthetically/practically my room could use a thinner footprint up front. YMMV. 

8 hours ago, AudioHobby said:

...If I only had a bigger room

Yep. My speakers below definitely look like overkill in our 2,000 cu ft Library HT listed below, but when the lights are down and listening to music or watching a movie it's sonic bliss and as if I'm in the middle of the action instead of listening to speakers or components. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rebuy said:

The Denon has a Great Menu Choice for The Dialogue Channel.

You just have to learn how to use it.

This....plus most of the dialogue in movies comes from the center, and that RP450c is great speaker, I think you'll be impressed.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...