Would you want a revived 'original' Klipsch Heritage line?

MeloManiac

Would you want a revived 'original' Klipsch Heritage line?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. In the previous century, the BBC wrote out a specs sheet and allowed 11 or twelf UK speaker companies to build these studio monitors to the highest specs. In the 21st century, one company (Rogers) decided to revive these speaker according to their original specs: the Rogers LS3/5A revived vintage speakers. They are made in the UK and cost around €3,300 https://www.rogers-hifi.uk/rogers-ls35a-classic-speakers https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS3/5A POLL QUESTION: Would you appreciate Klipsch doing the same? eg build the original Heresy (or Klipschorn) according to its original specs?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What model would you prefer 'revived' to original specs?

• Heresy
    • Klipschorn
    • Forte
    • Cornwall
    • La Scala
    • None of the above

I agree that this project wouldn't make sense but it begs the question what would a newly discovered inventory of vintage NIB Heritage speakers bring in today's market? Of course it would be something Klipsch would be interested in but I can't imagine it bringing a premium even in the audiophile market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

Why?

The LS3/5a are 'studio monitors' for BBC personel. So they are targeted not to musicians, nor to the radio audience, but for radio broadcasters and their technicians. They are small and compact and fine-tuned for the human voice. The licenced companies were given a very detailed specs sheet in order to make sure that speakers would sound the same, no matter who built them, where they were put to use, or what brand they were. The aim here was a uniform, comparable and quantifiable output during the production process. 

For audiophiles around the world, the great advantage of such uniform, standard speaker is this: when A/B-ing rooms and damping, recordings, amps, turntables etc. it gets a lot easier!

For the company, it could mean they really stand behind their original and are willing to put up the effort of starting a production line and even starting up production of parts that are no longer available. (It also could be a clever way of getting the attention of the press and the media, and get the business going again, and later role out other models, but that 's not the core of the matter here).

@dtel

Please remember that for this though-experiment, these  'revived original speakers'  must have the same specs (in every detail): from choice of wood to crossover components, to finish, to drivers, and of course sound output. They are the 'perfect replica' in the minutest detail.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

Please remember that for this though-experiment, these  'revived original speakers'  must have the same specs (in every detail): from choice of wood to crossover components, to finish, to drivers, and of course sound output. They are the 'perfect replica' in the minutest detail.

Oh I didn't realize that, OK I get it now. Only problem is it would cost about like the improved versions or more with exotic woods. Which some are illegal now.

If I remember correctly somewhere in the plant I seen a freestanding rack than had many different pieces of wood in many species, looked like samples you could look at to decide back then.  

I think JBL tried that in the last few years with the L100  ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

For the company, it could mean they really stand behind their original and are willing to put up the effort of starting a production line and even starting up production of parts that are no longer available. (It also could be a clever way of getting the attention of the press and the media, and get the business going again, and later role out other models, but that 's not the core of the matter here).

I appreciate the thought experiment but given what I said below and that there has been notable advances in those models to get them where they are at today I think it would backfire as a marketing tool and they would be in a "parts" competition with aftermarket venders who have pretty big following. I also gotta think the Heritage line isn't where Klipsch's bread-n-butter is today. 

11 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I agree that this project wouldn't make sense but it begs the question what would a newly discovered inventory of vintage NIB Heritage speakers bring in today's market? Of course it would be something Klipsch would be interested in but I can't imagine it bringing a premium even in the audiophile market.

After following this and other forum's for the last 20 years folks would still recommend purchasing used Heritage for the best bang-for-your-buck and New for the best sound in that class. Otoh, Home Theater is where sales are going to be and those speakers have smaller footprints and are cheaper to make. That's my take.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 10:02 AM, ChrisK said:

I have 1975 Cornwalls. Other than refinishing, new woofer cones and 5 way binding posts, they're completely original.

cornwall.jpg.0e970d8d0f83e4f7e289cf525939d280.jpg

I have long lusted after these...

• Like 1

$4500 for LS3/5A?  Oh, Heck NO!  Not even with a gold brick ballast lump in the bottom. 

Technology changes.  New materials are developed or found.  The new Heritage speakers sound better than the old ones ever did.  Just flush mounting the tweeters and squawkers are an audible improvement. 

• Like 2

Though a classic...would I want to buy a factory new 57 Chevy today?  Nope.

Would I however, consider buying a factory fresh SS, GTO, Mustang or 442?  Yep.

Maybe Roy can make the new Jubilee's in Macassar Ebony??!!   A blend of new and old.

• Like 1

This is my first poll post ever, so I'm not sure if other members can see the results of the poll. If that is not the case, here are the results:

image.thumb.png.c9013276b5231aaf0b2167a011dfa058.png

I think the results speak for themselves.

Thank you all for taking part and sharing opinions.

Have a nice day, keep it safe, and enjoy some good music, no matter what genre!

• Thanks 1

"eg build the original Heresy (or Klipschorn) according to its original specs"

But what does it mean original specs? For Klipshorn exact set of drivers and horns from 1947? Not sure it's possible and it makes sense.

I picked up a pair of Heresy II oiled oak for my brother a year or so back.  They were beautiful, obviously loved their whole life.   

only bad part, no serial number tags....  so I guess they are a matched pair.   

I got a good price and he loves them so I wasn’t so hung up about their provenance   They appear to be stock and sound great.   

However, if buying new, I would want the Heresy IV....  not a copy of an original Heresy