Speaker considerations

geezin'

I currently have a pair of R610f speakers. I like them but want something a little higher in the range. Will keep my modified (500T power transformer installed when refurb'd) Fisher 440T receiver 'cause I enjoy the sound.......and well it's paid for.

I will stick with Klipsch but go used Heritage. Looking at Heresy I/II,earlier La Scala and Belle. My preference is the Belle with no real reason other than I want. I listen to just about everything musically so the speaker needs to be versatile. I enjoy my 610's so my ears aren't super critical. I am not concerned with the perceived lack of bass in the Heresy or others. Just don't see/hear it.

All that said any suggestions,ideas or advice. Listening may be difficult for me. Given all that what say you?

• Like 2

Get a pair of any one of the Heresy incarnations.  If you don't like(you will), they can be easily resold.

15 minutes ago, geezin' said:

I am not concerned with the perceived lack of bass in the Heresy or others.

Not lack of bass, lack of low bass.

Bill

44 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Your location, budget, and wait time might dictate what you'll end up with. No La Scalas on your list?

La Scala? Yes second sentence second paragraph. I do see more Heresy and La Scala than Belle available at what I wanna spend. Honestly any of the three would likely be fine. More concerned about compatibility with the receiver than anything else.

Heresies are great little speakers. I've had several pairs of them, but I've kept my belles. I love my belles and Khorns. La Scalas should pretty much sound the same as belles, but belles are prettier. It basically depends on if you want to take it slow and dip your toes in the Klipsch heritage waters, or dive right in. Either way, enjoy! 

44 minutes ago, geezin' said:

La Scala? Yes second sentence second paragraph. I do see more Heresy and La Scala than Belle available at what I wanna spend. Honestly any of the three would likely be fine. More concerned about compatibility with the receiver than anything else.

Don't worry about the receiver. The speakers are fairly friendly unless the source/amp/ etc have any hiss or hum. It is the downside of using efficient speakers

• Like 2

If you're using a TV in your system, a Belle Klipsch makes a great TV stand and centre speaker.  It's only 18" deep, so your TV will be closer to the wall than if it was sitting on top of a La Scala.  It's hard to find single Belles, so you might have to buy a pair in order to get one.  I did that.  The second Belle could be used as a rear centre speaker in a 6.1 or 6.2 system.  As well, if you decide on La Scalas as main speakers, their timbre matches well with the timbres of Belles, so you have a uniform sound field in your room.  This is a good thing.

As for Heresys, they match well with La Scalas, as centre front or rear speakers, or as surround or rear surround speakers.  The higher sensitivity, as well as deeper and stronger bass, of the Heresy III makes them the best match for Belles or La Scalas.  You can also get post-1985 Heresy IIs and upgrade/update them to full Heresy III spec with the kits from Klipsch.

Apart from the Klipschorn and Cornwall, and maybe the Forte, most of the Heritage Series speakers don't do deep bass, so they really benefit from the help of one or two subwoofers.  Without one, you won't be hearing all the music, so they're very highly recommended.  The choice is yours, of course.  You can see what I'm using in the bottom of my post.  The system had its basic configuration a couple of years after I got the first pair of La Scalas, and the following many years included doing various tweaks and upgrades, all of which improved the sound quality, and now it's at a performance level that should keep me really happy for a long time.

Good luck with your search for great sound!

• 2 weeks later...

Get some cardboard/heavy paper and make a couple 2×2ft squares (close enough). Try placing where you want in your space. I only sit 8-10 ft back, with the LS about 6-8 ft between them. Pretty magical for me. I'v had them farther apart and farther away as well, still sou ding great.

Bruce

I'm currently seeking new digs that's why I ask.  only have so much to spend and the market sucks to be a buyer right now. At least 'round here it does.

I've just heard they're so big you need to be far away and just do not get that. As far as I've seen/heard a good speaker is a good speaker regardless of how far away you sit. I've also heard they got no bass,the sound is "thin" and on and on. I believe the things I hear from you guys so I ask.

I’ve got La Scalas and Heresy Is in a relatively small room. 13’ X 20’ X 7’. You won’t be disappointed with either choice. I use the Heresys with a turntable powered by a tube amp, no sub, for the pure “old school” experience. The La Scalas do everything else from 2.1 to HT, and they are awesome. If your tastes run to more a more modern sound, you’ll want a sub. We didn’t need them back in the old days, because we didn’t know anything else. I resisted the subwoofer for years, I was wrong. A horn loaded subwoofer paired with La Scalas is really impressive.  Good luck, whichever way you decide.