Passive radiators blowing tweeters ??

heard something on a facebook klipsch group today that ive never heard or read before, would like to hear from other knowledgeable members on here regarding this.  

the statement was that passive radiators cause "unloading of the cabinet" which in turn blows tweeters.  the person that made this statement says that klipsch is "well aware" of the issue & that hes blown many K77 tweeters in passive radiator speakers because of the passive radiator unloading the cabinet. ???

anyone ever heard of this & can explain a little clearer how this is possible?  the tweeter is completely sealed from the cabinet & crossed over to avoid any bass related signals.  & if it is an issue, why would klipsch have made speakers with passives for decades & continue to make current speakers with passives if they can blow tweeters?  

i'm not doubting it just never heard it before & doesnt make much sense based on my limited understanding of all the aspects involved with speaker design. i've owned 4 pairs of chorus 2 & 2 pairs of forte/2 & some KG's that use passives & listen at rock concert levels frequently, also own other brands of speakers that use passive radiators & i have never blown a tweeter in them or non passive speakers.      

Pure conjecture:

This person has the bass control turned waaaaay up, attempting to boost frequencies below the box tuning frequency (which is a waste of effort because at those frequencies the driver and the passive radiator are operating out-of-phase), and in the process clipping the amplifier. The high-frequency energy resulting from the clipping is blowing the tweeter.

That's the only somewhat plausible explanation that comes to my mind,.

38 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

the statement was that passive radiators cause "unloading of the cabinet" which in turn blows tweeters.  the person that made this statement says that klipsch is "well aware" of the issue & that hes blown many K77 tweeters in passive radiator speakers because of the passive radiator unloading the cabinet. ???

anyone ever heard of this & can explain a little clearer how this is possible?  the tweeter is completely sealed from the cabinet & crossed over to avoid any bass related signals.  & if it is an issue, why would klipsch have made speakers with passives for decades & continue to make current speakers with passives if they can blow tweeters?  

This sounds like BS, but I am not an expert.

The tweeters are enclosed.  I also guess that a ported box, passive box and a sealed box both have similar pressure swings when the woofer moves. 

Maybe the fact that the tweeters can only handle about 5 watts has something to do with this...

5 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

heard something on a facebook klipsch group today that ive never heard or read before, would like to hear from other knowledgeable members on here regarding this.  

i'm not doubting it just never heard it before & doesnt make much sense based on my limited understanding of all the aspects involved with speaker design. i've owned 4 pairs of chorus 2 & 2 pairs of forte/2 & some KG's that use passives & listen at rock concert levels frequently, also own other brands of speakers that use passive radiators & i have never blown a tweeter in them or non passive speakers.      

Your own experience should give you enough data points to tell you what you read on the facebook klipsch group is what you'd expect from people smoking crack.

• Like 1