L lads

59 minutes ago, Edgar said:

ย 

Not under the classic definition of harmonic or intermodulation distortion, which result from nonlinearities in the system. This would just be frequency response variations.

What, no PHASE variations in the respective bands?

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Would not call it distortion and the effect of resistance changes may effect the amount of attenuation but at such a small amount not anything audible. Even an autotransformer has resistance as well as capacitance but neither are significant enough to be meaningful. Electrical engineers get down to specifics and tradeoffs and the ones at Klipsch now do not think it meaningful enough to matter by their chose of discrete l-pad networks. There are electrical engineers who participate on this forum who could say more on this subject and specifics of how much and the effects between different ways of attenuation. There are very few speaker manufactures that use anything other then L-pads, either discrete are adjustable for attenuation. I am sure there are exceptions like most everything.ย  The one negative of an adjustable L-pad is what happens to all controls is that over time they can be a problem but we are talking 15 years and a shot of deoxit cures that.ย 

As a former Printed Circuit Board designer (PCB), I say it's a Production Issue/Consideration also besides Electrical/Sonic performance. The trend at Klipsch, for the last 30 years, has been to use PC Boards with single or double layer copper to accommodate the increasing parts count required to do higher order, more complex Dividing Networks (crossovers). Hand labor is expensive when you have to solder to the terminals on an auto-former, screwed down by hand to a piece of plywood. PC Boards can be Wave Soldered on an assembly line for much greater economy, quality, and consistency. If all Axial Leaded components are used, they can be inserted by Universal Equipment that also cuts and trims the leads. They can also be outsourced to many AMERICAN assembly houses as well as China or Mexico. I don't know what the Per Capita Overhead is for the Klipsch Factory in Hope, but I do realize that only the "Top of the Line" Products are made there for the markets that can afford them.ย 

56 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Properly designed Zobel networks pretty much eliminate these problems. That's an art in itself.

The terms "properly and art" allow for an awful lot of "Kentucky Windage", rather the applied SCIENCE, on the part of DIY guys that don't have proper equipment, aye?

ย 

Me quoting PWK quoting Dr. Irving Gardner: "You can't make what you can't measure because you don't know when you have it made."

30 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The terms "properly and art" allow for an awful lot of "Kentucky Windage", rather the applied SCIENCE, on the part of DIY guys that don't have proper equipment, aye?

ย 

Part of the problem, as with so many aspects of high fidelity audio, is the definition of "correct". I've designed audio equipment that was mathematically, scientifically, morally, and ethically "correct" (well, maybe not those last two) that didn't sound as good as other equipment in which I allowed a bit of "Kentucky Windage".

ย 

All you need to design a Zobel is the ability to measure impedance magnitude and phase (something like DATS will do it) and the patience to try different values of resistance and capacitance until you get what you want. The hard part is deciding what you want!