L lads

I use them only on one driver. Like on the KPT 904 to tame the 510 horn + DE75 down with the factory crossovers as they were to strident otherwise. There might be better ways to do this but it is all I know to do and I am not a crossover expert to know what to alter to balance the HF to the LF on a two way like the 904.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edgar said:

Yes, the sound is similar to using the wrong color zip tie.  😈

I have thought about experimenting with different colors of paint on crossover boards and adding various powdered metals to the paint.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you put L Pads in Klipsch speakers they are no longer Klipsch speakers. 

Does it mean that Klipsch does  not produce Klipsch speakers anymore? :) Or they again use autoformerts?

Anyway from Chief bonehead comments on other topic, if you put anything into a Klipsch speakers they are no longer Klipsch speakers (key word is you, not LPAD, and I get this point of view).

But I have trouble following this thread. What was actual question that started this topic? I miss some context in here. Who advises L Pads and for what purposes and where and in contrast to what?

• Like 1

I think it would be better if one does not like the sound they are hearing with their Klipsch speaker to use L-pads to tame a high frequency they cannot live with then to get rid of their Klipsch speakers. It is a cheap solution that solves the problem that improves the sound to the owners ear in their room. No crossover is a one size fits all in any speaker. Those that play with active crossover tailoring the sound to fit their taste can attest to this. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, henry4841 said:

I think it would be better if one does not like the sound they are hearing with their Klipsch speaker to use L-pads to tame a high frequency they cannot live with then to get rid of their Klipsch speakers. It is a cheap solution that solves the problem that improves the sound to the owners ear in their room. No crossover is a one size fits all in any speaker. Those that play with active crossover tailoring the sound to fit their taste can attest to this. 

Yes and as our hearing degrades over time it is nice to be able to to boost HF and be able to hear certain sounds again.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 4:16 AM, Bacek said:

But I have trouble following this thread. What was actual question that started this topic? I miss some context in here. Who advises L Pads and for what purposes and where and in contrast to what?

And who is against their use and why?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

And who is against their use and why?

Thanks!

This we actually know. Check  PWK article on previous page. Although I never understood this measurement effect and if it's something general or rather it was artifact of that particular test circuit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Did anyone read Mr K’s article?

I remember my teacher in middle school saying "when all else fails, read the directions"

So it looks like you can design a network using L Pads where it would be OK because you can account for the error in your design where if we just put one in, we will introduce this error and have no way of designing around it. 

That said, if someone is not willing to part with $80 for a set of decent transformers and is thinking about 'stacking' two together, L Pads are probably their best option (other than just leaving everything alone).

Trans.jpg

• Thanks 1

A simple example in the video world w/audio combined was some early satellite receivers for home that used 70 mhz as the IF frequency with too much gain at frontend of unit. Without an attenuator pad in line, video and audio were overdriven.

Too much gain produced by too short of a coaxial run. 

Necessary in that case.

3 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Did anyone read Mr K’s article?

Yes. And I'd like to see how the peaks and troughs in the response compare with the peaks and troughs in the driver/horn impedance magnitude. The resistor values in an L-pad are computed for a specified load impedance. If that load impedance changes, so does the attenuation in the L-pad.

• Like 1