Klipsch Forte IV Speakers - $3,000, Buffalo, NY

Bobby Z

Those are mine.  I moved up from the RP-280Fs, and the Forte IVs are the best speakers I have ever owned.  However, they bother my ears for some reason -- don't know if it's because they're 3-way, they're pointed more directly at me (as oppossed to the 280's tilt), or something else. Anyhoo...I decided to pull them off CL and work with them some more because I really, really love them.  I put up some room treatments, moved my seat back, and decreased the toe in without sacrificing the nice center-imaging that I get.  One other thing, I'm not playing them as loud as I normally do.  I had to break-up the nice, even triangle I had formed between the speakers and the listening position, but I think it has all has worked.  :)

Edited by Signals
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If you must keep something on top of the speakers, please put something soft under the lamps like a cloth or some form of cardboard. 

Of course.  I'm an ex-drummer who has owned many exotic-wood kits costing $$$.  I baby my gear and take great care in preventing scratches and the like.  I have small, thick rubber pads underneath the lamp bases, and the lamps themselves are very light.

2 hours ago, Signals said:

I have small, thick rubber pads underneath the lamp bases, and the lamps themselves are very light.

I prefer felt type pads versus rubber whenever possible due to having seen some finishes and rubber pads chemically interact causing finish damage.

miketn

19 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I prefer felt type pads versus rubber whenever possible due to having seen some finishes and rubber pads chemically interact causing finish damage.

miketn

That's a good idea, thank you.  I have similar padding under my gym equipment, and yep, it has turned my linoleum floor yellow underneath.

15 hours ago, Signals said:

That's an Outlaw Audio rr2160.  I think it sounds fantastic.

You mentioned having issues with brightness and I agree that pointing the speakers directly at you is not a good idea. But the fact remains that the Outlaw is still a receiver, even if you like it. That said, you won't get all the Forte IV is capable of with a receiver. It's great that you like it, but it's still the weak link.

Shakey

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

What’s BS? No receiver is going to touch a good integrated or separates. You don’t have to agree with it, but it’s almost inarguable. 

So adding a radio ruins it? 

Or putting in separate boxes makes it better? 

Audio hype.  Generally separates are higher quality devices, but that does not mean that an integrated or a receiver is necessarily bad.  The Outlaw is a very good piece of gear. 

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Everything is inarguable to you. Excellent High quality receivers can be just as good as any other component.  

A receiver will never sound as good as a high quality amp and preamp.

You might like it and that’s fine. But once you hear something better it’s pretty obvious. Unless you are in that famous klipsch forum club “it all sounds the same”.

The Outlaw piece may be a quality receiver. But you can have hamburger, or you can have steak.

So OP, if you like the Outlaw, by all means keep it. I was just making a suggestion that would make the fortes sound better. Some people get all worked up about that around here.

• Like 1