Klipsch R620F to Receiver Help!

Paige

Hello All!

I am getting a new TCL 4K TV soon and was looking at getting two tower Klipsch R620F speakers and then eventually adding a center speaker as well.

Lets be clear, I have never owned a sound system before and this is all very new to me!

On the spec sheet for the tower speakers it says: 

POWER HANDLING (CONT/PEAK) 100W/400W NOMINAL

IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible

Does that mean I need to get a receiver that does over 120W-150W/8 omhs per channel for the front channels? I was reading and people are saying that you want anywhere from 20% to 50% more wattage on the channel than the speaker has, is that also correct?

I appreciate anyone that can help me out :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome

No you don't need a more powerful amp/receiver but it may make it sound better. Just whatever receiver you use don't turn it up enough to where it distorts, that is what kills drivers/speakers. 

1 hour ago, Paige said:

Does that mean I need to get a receiver that does over 120W-150W/8 omhs per channel for the front channels? I was reading and people are saying that you want anywhere from 20% to 50% more wattage on the channel than the speaker has, is that also correct?

For Ht the front 3 channels will use most of the power, so if your adding a separate amp to your receiver a 3 channel receiver will help with that and let the receiver power the surrounds.

Others will have some ideas, many here have more experience with Ht than me. And yes going from say 75 wpc to 100 will make little difference, others can explain this better.

• Like 1

We would mostly be watching movies and tv with the speaker with very occasional music.

We are considering the Denon AVR-S650H just because it has everything we would want (4K capabilities, more than 3 HDMIs, Phono for a turntable, Banana Plug Connections, Digital Audio plugs. 

If anyone has any suggestions on if this is a good fit that would be great. Also if anyone knows of any other receivers that would have everything we want for less that would be so helpful! I'm in Canada where everything is 100 times more expensive so even though its only $400 USD, here its $600 CAD.

@Paige, if it comes down to it, give them all a call or a chat stating that you are looking at the Denon or another brand to all suppliers there, with the features that you require. Ask if they have any new refurbished or open box.

Let them make their day by selling to you at a deal you can live with.

Thanks!

So we ended up getting:

2 X R620F Tower Speakers

1 X R52C Center Speaker

1 X R-100SW Subwoofer

The first place I called told me that I would need a minimum of a $1000 receiver to power the speakers we got, does that sound right to you guys?

Based on the specs of the Denon AVR-S650H I thought it would work with the speakers? Am I wrong, do we really need to look at better receivers?

Sorry about bugging and I really appreciate the help for this newbie :)

4 minutes ago, Paige said:

So we ended up getting:

2 X R620F Tower Speakers

1 X R52C Center Speaker

1 X R-100SW Subwoofer

The first place I called told me that I would need a minimum of a $1000 receiver to power the speakers we got, does that sound right to you guys?

Based on the specs of the Denon AVR-S650H I thought it would work with the speakers? Am I wrong, do we really need to look at better receivers?

In a word, no...is my opinion.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yiIVFGtDFxN/p_033AVS650H/Denon-AVR-S650H-2019-model.html?

• 2 years later...
On 4/16/2021 at 11:04 AM, Paige said:

So we ended up getting:

2 X R620F Tower Speakers

1 X R52C Center Speaker

1 X R-100SW Subwoofer

This is the exactly the same speaker config that I just bought. Which AV receiver did you finally get and how is it performing?

3 hours ago, DishoomDishoom said:

This is the exactly the same speaker config that I just bought. Which AV receiver did you finally get and how is it performing?

If you click on their screen name you’ll see that they haven’t been on the forum since April 2021.