What to Play First?

Tinnitus

You’ve just got some new speakers or you’ve completed some modifications to a pair. Now it’s time to listen to them for the first time. Do you have a go to recording that that you play for this purpose, or do you just grab something off the shelf? 

For many years I have used Post Toastee by Tommy Bolin to audition my new or modified speakers. For me, it’s a good mix of  vocals, strings, percussion, and horns that reveal the strengths  or shortcomings of the speakers. Do any of you have a standard you use for fist time auditions? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tinnitus said:

You’ve just got some new speakers or you’ve completed some modifications to a pair. Now it’s time to listen to them for the first time. Do you have a go to recording that that you play for this purpose, or do you just grab something off the shelf? 

For many years I have used Post Toastee by Tommy Bolin to audition my new or modified speakers. For me, it’s a good mix of  vocals, strings, percussion, and horns that reveal the strengths  or shortcomings of the speakers. Do any of you have a standard you use for fist time auditions? 

Chicago 25 or 6 to 4, a nice array of vocals, horns and percussion generally a good starting point for me

• Like 2

OP has a good one there with Tommy Bolin. Just had a listening session with fellow member @codewritinfool and Post Toastee was one of the many songs we listened to. Often depends on my mood or what speaker/upgrade/update is new. 

While my guitar gently weeps - Santana w Yoyo Ma and India Arie

Lenny - SRV

You - Bonnie Raitt / Allison Krause

Beginnings - Chicago

Uptown Funk

All usually get a spin.

Hard to pick a ONE go to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wolfden said:

Chicago 25 or 6 to 4, a nice array of vocals, horns and percussion generally a good starting point for me

Have you heard the cover by Leonid & Friends?  Sure, it's not the original band, but it's a great cover, and it was recorded on modern hi-res equipment.

Leonid & Friends -- 25 or 6 to 4:  

• Like 1

Female vocal and a piano

the two most demanding sounds

Less reverb etc the better.

A list of test tracks I use to evaluate systems

Nicks Trouble in Shagrala is a good LP

Noemi Wolfs,  Hooverphonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGCzTlT2hI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oox5S-HM74&list=PLgugWBANrQyU39SWyIM6sCIJWo-A3GBlD

You only live twice cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-GC5y_adg&list=PLgugWBANrQyU39SWyIM6sCIJWo-A3GBlD&index=5

AXPNOA play list.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

OP has a good one there with Tommy Bolin. Just had a listening session with fellow member @codewritinfool and Post Toastee was one of the many songs we listened to. Often depends on my mood or what speaker/upgrade/update is new. 

While my guitar gently weeps - Santana w Yoyo Ma and India Arie

Lenny - SRV

You - Bonnie Raitt / Allison Krause

Beginnings - Chicago

Uptown Funk

All usually get a spin.

Hard to pick a ONE go to.

we also heard some norah jones, keb mo, steely dan, daft punk, the omnific, several by the aristocrats (guthrie govan), some steven wilson, and some dire straits.  all wonderful, dynamic, and spectrally rich.

• Like 2