Chorus II passive radiator damaged.

tickertape

Hello, all. I just got a set of Chorus IIs but the passive radiators don't match plus one is torn.

Any advice on how to approach them? Are these 1994s? The serials are consecutive. I got 2 Chinese made Synergy S2 with these Chorus IIs.

The intact one has a rubber surround, while the torn one has folded paper fiber surround.

EDIT: I pulled them and they're both marked KD16. The rubber surround one is probably a replacement and looks like it has what is probably a date on it 01/04/08.

I located a 2018 thread that says the Forte III version fits tightly.

I wonder if the Forte III from Klipsh (if still available) is a rubber surround? EDIT: it looks to be a rubber surround by looking at the online catalogue.

I sold some Cornwall IIs in Walnut(?) several years ago and found some LaScala club finish for a friend, both in the 90s. Klipsch will work for me.

IMG_4994 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4995 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4985 (Medium) (Medium).JPG

Edited by tickertape
  • Like 1

hi.  the forte 3 will work as mentioned in previous threads on here but they are cosmetically different & i think some have said they require minor modification to the opening to fit right, possibly a little too tight?

you can also have your passives reconed from simply speakers, they offer a recone kit with the pleated fiber surrounds so they will look correct for chorus 2, you can buy just the kit & do it yourself or ship to them to be installed.  

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/Klipsch_bymfg_16-0-1.html  

On 4/14/2021 at 9:28 PM, tickertape said:

Hello, all. I just got a set of Chorus IIs but the passive radiators don't match plus one is torn.

Ir is important to use the correct parts , otherwise , the speakers  won't sound right -

the Chorus II  shipped with the KD-16 Passive radiator  -----while the Forte III uses the KD-15  -2 very different parts in terms of specs -

Given both your KD-16's  are identical part numbers ,  both do perform equally   , the torn woofer can be repaired temporarily with Black speaker rubber cement -

Finally , the KD 16 Passive radiator recone kits from ----Simply Speaker are Aftermarkets kits versus klipsch Original which are made for your speakers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

Ir is important to use the correct parts , otherwise , the speakers  won't sound right -

the Chorus II  shipped with the KD-16 Passive radiator  -----while the Forte III uses the KD-15  -2 very different parts in terms of specs -

didn't @Chief bonehead & others recently confirm the forte3 passive is the same spec as & will work for the chorus2?  can you explain how they are "very different specs"?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I repaired a torn woofer by using rubber cement to glue a strip of tissue paper to each side of the woofer.  It didn't look great but it seemed to have worked. 

I have seen similar repairs that worked as well.  Being a passive, I would think that it is less crucial. 

• Like 2

Thanks, all. And thanks for the follow up on the Forte style usage. A temp repair to get by will be attempted.

The catalogue I mentioned is actually the Klipsch webpage where the Forte images are located under the Heritage offerings. The rear view shows a rubber surround used.

My radiators share the "KD-16" designation, but the rubber surround one has a 7 digit part number too and an apparent date of 01/04/08. The pleated one just says KLIPSCH KD-16 and "9310" which I'm guessing is an original date, but maybe it's a part number? No other markings I noticed.

The Simply Speakers images show a pleated surround so I'd have to do both. A rubber surround version will satisfy my ear. I'm just running a Carver receiver for now. There's a Hafler preamp and a Rotel amp around somewhere.

Anyone know which phone number is the correct one for parts ordering? I see 544-7724 for order from Klipsh.com,  P: 317-860-8100 / 800-544-1482 Klipsh headquarters and P: 317-860-8100 / 800-544-1482 for the Indianapolis Engineering location.

Edited by tickertape
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

The forte 4 drone will work for the forte 3 and 2. The chorus drone is different but can be ordered at klipsch. 

if I did say that before, then  I was wrong. 

so your previous statement that the forte 3 passive will work for the chorus 2 is now wrong?   "You don't need the parameters. All you need is me saying that the drone in the III will work in the ii. That's all. "

didnt a bunch of people buy the forte 3 passives for their chorus 2 based on this info?  & is the KD16 for the chorus 2 available for sale from klipsch?  as of the comment in 2018 the member said he was told by klipsch the KD16 is not available & they referred him to simply speakers.  

just trying to clarify this for the OP & future members that may read that thread or the others saying the forte 3 passive is correct for chorus2. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The weighting needs to be identical to the original drone or they will not work correctly.

that is correct, im trying to get confirmation regarding the forte 3 passive being used in the chorus 2... it was stated more than once in the recent past that its acceptable to use the F3 in a CH2...    

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 9:48 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

that is correct, im trying to get confirmation regarding the forte 3 passive being used in the chorus 2... it was stated more than once in the recent past that its acceptable to use the F3 in a CH2...    

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2021 at 9:47 AM, Chief bonehead said:

The forte 4 drone will work for the forte 3 and 2. The chorus drone is different but can be ordered at klipsch. 

Pretty clear here the Chief had previously made an error and has owned up to it, it happens. I imagine the Forte passive would work in a pinch but tuning would be off because of different weight? If exact weights for each were known they could be modified to work if actual KD-16's are no longer available.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Pretty clear here the Chief had previously made an error and has owned up to it, it happens. I imagine the Forte passive would work in a pinch but tuning would be off because of different weight? If exact weights for each were known they could be modified to work if actual KD-16's are no longer available.

yes errors happen.  after re-reading that thread i wonder how many people have kd15 passives in their chorus 2 & dont realize they are different?  might be a good idea to at least update that thread so hopefully the people who posted that they did it & future readers see it & know it's not correct... i know i would want to know about it.    

Also chief says above that the chorus drone can be ordered from klipsch, is this correct? is it newly available?  i never got confirmation on that question. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, Chief bonehead said:

Can I return Forte 3 Passive radiators that are still new in the box and get them replaced with new Chorus II PR's? You were very adamant at defending your position that the Forte 3 PR was a acceptable replacement for the Chorus 2. The process of ordering parts from Klipsch has never been especially pleasant nor quick. 

28 minutes ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

Can I return Forte 3 Passive radiators that are still new in the box and get them replaced with new Chorus II PR's? You were very adamant at defending your position that the Forte 3 PR was a acceptable replacement for the Chorus 2. The process of ordering parts from Klipsch has never been especially pleasant nor quick. 

What did you pay for them? If you have any issue getting an RMA on those I am sure there is interest here for them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

What did you pay for them? If you have any issue getting an RMA on those I am sure there is interest here for them.

Their price is very reasonable when bought directly from Klipsch which is why I went with new versus a rebuild kit. I paid about $85 ea delivered. Shipping alone would be $40-50 without a business rate.