SLUMMING

BigStewMan

I gave myself one day to slum ... so here is I. 

Hope you are all well. I'm doing a quick hit and run, then back to the wide world of music (well, not so wide as much of it sucks). In all seriousness. been spending HOURS a day on my new Les Paul. I may have to take a break and let some new skin grow back on a couple of my fingers. I like it, can't say I like it more than my Strat; but the natural sustain is better on the Les Paul. I think the Strat plays easier. Been creating some nice stuff (in my opinion).  Feels good to be back playing regularly.

I may have to go on a spending spree ... talking with a bass playing buddy of mine and he sent me some photos of his house ... seriously looks like you walked into a music store .... he's probably has 75 bass guitars easily ... drums, keyboards.  It will be good to see him again should I return to that madness called California.  We have an ongoing argument of what takes more talent playing a song or writing a song.  Spoiler Alert:  I say writing, because that's what I do. He says playing, because he performs and has to improvise on stage.  Let's not argue and just say I won.  You guys with me?

Got my second covid shot exactly two weeks ago, so I'm at max protection. 

Weather getting better in the Pacific Northwest; but when you look past the weather it still is the Pacific Northwest and the best weather in the world can't save this area. If all goes as planned, next year at this time, I'll be back in God's Country ... California (small chance of Southern Nevada; but that is a long shot). Helping out my brother and he HATES the desert and extreme high temps and I am taking his happiness into consideration. He's indicated a willingness to return to California. 

Been gone a month from the forum and I've gotten real smart; but then you guys already knew that. 

Peace to you all. 

• Like 10

Good go to hear from you!  Funny how your talking Les Paul,  just this morning I was listening to some GNR at the gym and Coma was playing.  Great song all around, but get to about 6 minutes and on and it hits a certain way.  One has to think "if one wanted to know how a Les Paul should sound, this is it" . At least that's my opinion.  Slash has to be one of my favorite Les Paul players out there.  A guy who makes that guitar sound as it should, totally jams. 

Coma - YouTube

• Like 3

On 4/15/2021 at 5:53 AM, The Dude said:

if one wanted to know how a Les Paul should sound, this is it"

I'm what you'd call a middle of neck player ... that is the sweet spot for my taste.  Just love that sound. 

As far as the Les Paul being easy to play ... it's not difficult (not always comfortable because it weighs a ton. mine weighs over 10 pounds and it has many relief holes drilled in it which takes away some of the weight; but it lives up to it's name ... a SOLID body).  It's not as easy  to play as my Strat and I've not found anything easier to play than a Strat either. The neck on my Strat is just really hard to beat ... effortless to play that thing. By easy, I mainly refer to comfort because there are myriad factors that can come into play that can affect how "fast" a neck is ... thinner neck, lighter gauge strings and low action for example. 

Neck thickness is a matter of taste ... my Brian May Rhapsody has a very wide neck and that's just how it's made.  Fender Jaquars and Mustangs are a lot thinner. 

But, I'm happy with the Les Paul and it is a great guitar. 

Stay well my friend. 

• Like 1

Slumming and day dreaming about the one(s) that got away.

I found a Les Paul gold top in a Gibson hard case at a yard sale. The date was approx '78 and I was hitting the sales with my mom. I was only 15 and didn't have any money, but I did know something about guitars. My mom informed me that we couldn't spend $200 on a used guitar............ I was at school telling a classmate about it a year or so later and he said that he had a 72 Strat that he would sell for that same $200 and throw in a Fender Princeton amp to boot. Just two 16 year olds making a deal. This time dear old dad agreed to hand over the cash. :) Finally needed money for a car and sold that one. Wish I had those two today.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, The Dude said:

Good go to hear from you!  Funny how your talking Les Paul,  just this morning I was listening to some GNR at the gym and Coma was playing.  Great song all around, but get to about 6 minutes and on and it hits a certain way.  One has to think "if one wanted to know how a Les Paul should sound, this is it" . At least that's my opinion.  Slash has to be one of my favorite Les Paul players out there.  A guy who makes that guitar sound as it should, totally jams. 

Coma - YouTube

the Les Paul Slash  used in the recording of Guns N 'Roses' Appetite for Destruction (1987)  was a -Fake  Gibson made by kris Derrig in  a small shop in Redondo Beach California behind the Music Works  Guitar Shop  - the guitar is still used by Slash in all his Recordings and Slash's Fake Les Paul guitar was Reproduced by Gibson for the Gibson Slash series -

Photos from Kris Derrig (krisderrig) on Myspace

• Like 1

This last year a gal posted a Fender Strat made in USA for dirt cheap, like $400 dirt cheap. Don't know how accurate the serial number was and if looking up years based on the serial is correct, but when I did, it was something in the late 60s early 70s. When I messaged her that the guitar may be worth more, she said she knew and was selling it to someone for $500.00.

I never knew a guitar could play fast until I watched an interview with Buddy Webster about designing and building the Dean From Hell for Dimebag Darrell. Very interesting what they did to that body style. Dimes always liked that guitar, not just because of looks, but because at the time they were cheap at pawn shops. Buddy helped design the guitar to how it plays/sounds today. I'm sure Dean's builds aren't nothing comparable to what Dean did, but very interesting none the less.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

On 4/17/2021 at 1:17 PM, JL Sargent said:

e said that he had a 72 Strat that he would sell for that same $200 and throw in a Fender Princeton amp to boot.

my very first guitar was a '76 Fender Telecaster thin line semi-hollow body.  I wish I could get it back. I'll never sell a guitar again. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 2:55 PM, The Dude said:

This last year a gal posted a Fender Strat made in USA for dirt cheap, like $400 dirt cheap. Don't know how accurate the serial number was and if looking up years based on the serial is correct, but when I did, it was something in the late 60s early 70s. When I messaged her that the guitar may be worth more, she said she knew and was selling it to someone for $500.00.

if was in decent shape, that was a steal. 

I was at a friend's house and this guy was there and he was a bit of an odd fellow. he said that he hated his fender mustang so much that he felt like speeding down the road and throwing it out the window. my friend said, "I'll give you $50 for it" and the guy sold it on the spot.   I like Fender Mustangs, and Jaguars. 

14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

if was in decent shape, that was a steal. 

I went back through my messages, couldn't find the picture, but I recall you could tell it had been played, not rough, just played, ok maybe rough. Anyway, she did state it was from 65' and I believe it was black. 

20 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I was at a friend's house and this guy was there and he was a bit of an odd fellow. he said that he hated his fender mustang so much that he felt like speeding down the road and throwing it out the window. my friend said, "I'll give you $50 for it" and the guy sold it on the spot.   I like Fender Mustangs, and Jaguars. 

After a hard and hot day of work about 30 years ago I met my friend and my brother at the golf course. They were gulping down their cold beers and said 'lets go'

as soon as I walked in and they decided carts were unnecessary. I ordered a cold one and offered up every piece of golfing equipment I ever owned to the first $100. dollar bill.

It was gone in seconds. Had another cold one and went home. I bought another nice fishing rod and have never been to another golf course since then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, NADman said:

After a hard and hot day of work about 30 years ago I met my friend and my brother at the golf course. They were gulping down their cold beers and said 'lets go'

as soon as I walked in and they decided carts were unnecessary. I ordered a cold one and offered up every piece of golfing equipment I ever owned to the first $100. dollar bill.

It was gone in seconds. Had another cold one and went home. I bought another nice fishing rod and have never been to another golf course since then.

sounds like me during one of my recent moves.  I got so tired of packing that I just loaded the truck with stuff and donated to a thrift store .then after moving, spent a small fortune re-buying most of the things that I got rid of. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, RandyH000 said:

here's  a Strat getting smashed ,  what an a--hole ---this guitar would be worth 100k$ today easy , and some of these were custom built by Fender-------and free to boot , gifts -

I bet it's still worth a small fortune ... if it still exists

On 4/19/2021 at 3:18 PM, NADman said:

I bought another nice fishing rod and have never been to another golf course since then.

that would be me, too. All a golf course is, to me ,is fishing in the water hazards.

Golf???? I've played a couple times.  I considered it a good game if I broke 100 - for 9 holes. Yes, I did have fun. I doubt the folks following me enjoyed the mine field of divots and my sloth "Fun".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1