Chorus 1 Rebuild project

Sixes

Having gotten “into” Klipsch speakers recently (pair of RP-600M and KG 3.2) I was looking to get a pair of Chorus speakers. A Craigslist seller and an hour drive and I had a pair of consecutively numbered Chorus. All original parts. The upper cabinets were in decent shape but the risers were completely trashed. Veneer lifting, cracked, corner pieces missing.  

C87B3175-1AC4-4911-9B42-A54344864AF4.thumb.jpeg.26d26f133c7e7a93c8c65a3ca5fdd04e.jpeg

Electronically, there was no sound from the tweeter on one side and crappy sound out of the other.  I decided that a full crossover rebuild was in order. Having previously bought and installed a Crites crossover in my KG 3.2 I opted for the full Chorus rebuild from Crites. I did an install video here:

I also bought the Crites Titanium diaphragm replacements. I also did a video of replacing those as well:

Regarding the risers, I took them off and stripped off the old veneer. It was tedious, but well worth the effort. I bought some oak veneer on Amazon and with some spray adhesive it was surprisingly easy. I also bought some Magic Slides to raise the risers off the carpet a little higher. Should avoid damaging the corner veneer again. I also put 1” wood screws in each plastic corner brace of the risers. Several fell off quite easily which seems common from what I have seen, so I also used wood glue on each. 

Cosmetically and sonically, they are now 110%. I added some sound absorbing foam on the top of the risers, securing with spray adhesive. It cost me a total of $1000 for the speakers, parts, and electronics from Critesspeakers.com. I recommend their products 1000%. 

Edited by Sixes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Chorus1 Fan said:

Looks great, did you consider doing the "port mod" ?

I did, I just neglected to mention it. I bought and installed the 4”  port tubes from Parts Express. Didn’t notice a difference but I didn’t go the full 7” nor did I flare the inside port opening....yet!!!!  I saw all your mods and I guess you were my catalyst for what I did. So thanks!!,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sixes said:

I did, I just neglected to mention it. I bought and installed the 4”  port tubes from Parts Express. Didn’t notice a difference but I didn’t go the full 7” nor did I flare the inside port opening....yet!!!!  I saw all your mods and I guess you were my catalyst for what I did. So thanks!!,

Cool, & thanks! I would say don't expect a huge increase in bass, just a better, solid low end (depending on the recording)

In my case, I used a cd bass freq "test tone" cd & did before/after testing. Before, anything below the 45hz note was barely audible. After, the dropoff moved down to 39hz - 38hz range.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chorus1 Fan said:

Cool, & thanks! I would say don't expect a huge increase in bass, just a better, solid low end (depending on the recording)

In my case, I used a cd bass freq "test tone" cd & did before/after testing. Before, anything below the 45hz note was barely audible. After, the dropoff moved down to 39hz - 38hz range.

I might have to give that a try...I did notice it was a bit “tighter” than before. I’m going to play around some more. 

51 minutes ago, Sixes said:

I’m driving the Chorus speakers with a Kinter Tripath 2020+ amp pictured here. Works great till I get something else. 

0EF8742A-5236-4846-9258-CDDB10338B80.jpeg

I have one of those myself, but you'll REALLY be impressed (& get better bass) when you get a bigger amp. I have a Luxman R-115 that is rated @ 70w , but magazine tests "back in the day" said it was more like 85w continuous. At about 10 o'clock on the volume, things start falling off shelves 😃

2 minutes ago, Chorus1 Fan said:

I have one of those myself, but you'll REALLY be impressed (& get better bass) when you get a bigger amp. I have a Luxman R-115 that is rated @ 70w , but magazine tests "back in the day" said it was more like 85w continuous. At about 10 o'clock on the volume, things start falling off shelves 😃

I have plenty of powerful amps, from a Pioneer SX-980 to an Onkyo THX919. I am waiting for a Super Zen Triode amp from Decware that I should have in June/July. I also have a cheap Dayton Audio DTA-100a arriving soon. That’s a Tripath with a little more kick!

9 hours ago, Chorus1 Fan said:

Cool! If you lengthen the ports to 7-7.5" & connect that Onkyo, I think you'll find even more clean tight bass 😎

I will, and I’ll report back next week after I have a chance to tweak more. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Yankee Rebel said:

I am going to do this port mod.   Are you including the thickness of the 1" motorboard in the 7 to 7.5" length? 

Go to page 2 for detailed port info, but the port gets mounted flush with the front of the motorboard. (So it's included)

• Like 1