Jump to content

Electric shock at subwoofer metallic parts


Anamitra
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Greetings!

 

I have been using the R12SW subwoofer for almost 3 years now, and hands down I am always in love with it!

 

I recently shifted homes, and the entire audio setup was uninstalled and reinstalled completely by me. Can’t just let anyone else touch it.

 

However after installation, when I touched the on-auto-off switch behind the subwoofer, I got a pleasant electric shock. Unfortunately I don’t have a voltmeter, and using an electric tester I found power at every metallic part of the subwoofer (be it screws, switches, line in ports).

 

(PS : range of electric tested is 110-240v)

 

I disconnected the RCA cables, changed the power source : but all this did not solve the problem.

 

Can you please advise what can I do next? Do you feel there is a loose connection inside the chassis, or a foreign object there which is causing this power leakage? 


Due to these pandemic times taking it to a service center is not an option.

 

Thank you so very much for your suggestions!

Best regards

Anamitra

54F0C5C7-38E9-42F4-B9EA-27D19E842BBF.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anamitra said:

I have been using the R12SW subwoofer for almost 3 years now, and hands down I am always in love with it!

 

I recently shifted homes, and the entire audio setup was uninstalled and reinstalled completely by me. Can’t just let anyone else touch it.

 

However after installation, when I touched the on-auto-off switch behind the subwoofer, I got a pleasant electric shock.

 

I think you should unplug that subwoofer from the wall outlet. You may want to check your house wiring for correct polarity, using a house wiring receptacle tester, or hiring an electrician if you prefer. Then I would check the subwoofer. Be safe with electricity.

 

DSCF0765.JPG.b9edecb5a6b762d28d2601ac8cce1897.JPG

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, Anamitra said:

Hi,

 

Greetings!

 

I have been using the R12SW subwoofer for almost 3 years now, and hands down I am always in love with it!

 

I recently shifted homes, and the entire audio setup was uninstalled and reinstalled completely by me. Can’t just let anyone else touch it.

 

However after installation, when I touched the on-auto-off switch behind the subwoofer, I got a pleasant electric shock. Unfortunately I don’t have a voltmeter, and using an electric tester I found power at every metallic part of the subwoofer (be it screws, switches, line in ports).

 

(PS : range of electric tested is 110-240v)

 

I disconnected the RCA cables, changed the power source : but all this did not solve the problem.

 

Can you please advise what can I do next? Do you feel there is a loose connection inside the chassis, or a foreign object there which is causing this power leakage? 


Due to these pandemic times taking it to a service center is not an option.

 

Thank you so very much for your suggestions!

Best regards

Anamitra

54F0C5C7-38E9-42F4-B9EA-27D19E842BBF.jpeg


 

Hello,

I recently bought this set as well from someone and mine is doing the exact same thing! Did you find out the issue?

 

I was going to call an electrician out to take a look at my outlets as my home was built in 64.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No need for an electrician. You can easily verify your outlet is wired correctly with one of these. Just plug into the outlet and interpret the lights.

 

If the subwoofer gives you a shock even with the connection to your stereo removed (RCA cables), then try reversing the plug in the outlet.

 

Try it with every outlet in your house.

 

Try it at a friend's house.

 

These tests will give you a clue as to whether it's the subwoofer or the house wiring. If it's the subwoofer, send it out for service.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Peter,

 

Thank you I went ahead and ordered one to check just in case. I know on my surge protector it says that it is not grounded so I’m not for sure if that’s the issue or not. Should I be plugging in the subwoofer directly into the wall outlet instead of through the surge protector? 
 

Also one thing I noticed I did was have the red and white RCA cables in both subwoofer slots on the receiver, maybe it was overpowering the subwoofer?

 

The RCA cable I was given is a dual RCA cable but it looks like that would be incorrect? I ordered a Y RCA cable instead now as well after watching some videos. 

Edited by Neal92
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shouldn't matter whether the sub is plugged in to the surge protector. I'd plug it in to the surge protector well, to protect it!

 

Since your sub has an LFE input, if your amp/receiver has an LFE output, then you will use just the white RCA cable and white jack on both and not connect anything to the red input on the sub.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Klipsch Employees

First, NO VOLTAGE SHOULD BE ON THE BACK OF THE AMP! short of static electricity.  That unit should have a IEC power cord connector. I think it is only 2 connectors. IF you house is wired to US code, you should never have this issue. Like others, I suspect the outlet. I know nothing in the sub amp that could cause this.  IT will have NOTHING to do with the RCA's....This is a power from the wall issue.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it was even just static shock? It definitely took me off guard but didn’t do it every time. 
 

The receiver I have is the Denon AVR S750H, I don’t see an LFE input, it just has Sub 1 and 2. 
so I bought a Y cable so one end goes in sub 1 and then the red/white end to the subwoofer. Would that be correct? 

Thank you for the information again, this is my first surround sound set so I’m a little new to this and was luckily able to get this in my opinion for a steal. 

B62A1401-0FCB-4144-BA79-CF3083A9B40A.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2021 at 8:58 AM, Neal92 said:

I recently bought this set as well from someone and mine is doing the exact same thing! Did you find out the issue?

 

I was going to call an electrician out to take a look at my outlets as my home was built in 64.

 

14 minutes ago, Neal92 said:

Maybe it was even just static shock? It definitely took me off guard but didn’t do it every time. 

 

Static electric shocks are common, so that is a possibility. Still, it is important to know for sure that your household electric outlets are wired correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Neal92 said:

Definitely agreed! I get the outlet tool today to check to see if they’re wired correctly which I’ll be doing first before hooking it back up

If your surge protector shows that the outlet is not grounded then there's an excellent chance that your receptacle tester will show the same thing.

 

I'd be tempted to check every outlet in the house.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hot/neu rev when pressing the test button. 
when I don’t press the button and hold the button it shows open ground so it only confirms most of my upstairs isn’t grounded. How much does this typically run to get it grounded? 

 

lastly the bathroom, kitchen and basement showed up as correct. I eventually will be moving these speakers into the basement. 


From this youtube vid it looks like I can just replace the outlets to have it grounded?

 

 

 

81FBAD33-1CE5-4AC1-986E-60D37FBD09AE.jpeg

191218DF-C560-401B-9139-B4AD33695586.jpeg

Edited by Neal92
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The manual for your Denon receiver shows you connect ONE RCA cable from the PRE-OUT Subwoofer jack to ONE subwoofer. Do NOT connect BOTH PRE-OUT Subwoofer jacks to BOTH jacks on one subwoofer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

The manual for your Denon receiver shows you connect ONE RCA cable from the PRE-OUT Subwoofer jack to ONE subwoofer. Do NOT connect BOTH PRE-OUT Subwoofer jacks to BOTH jacks on one subwoofer.

Thank you Peter! 
 

I bought the speakers used, they aren’t even a year old but unfortunately he didn’t have the manual on hand but have looked it up online.

 

I now have one cable on the pre out on the receiver, with both the red and white end of the cable connected to the sub woofer now. 

 

image.jpg

Edited by Neal92
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...