Tubecube 7

steelgtr

41 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

This is a DIY alternative, maybe:

https://getaudio.eu/en/elekit-tu-8100-pcl86-single-stereo-tube-amplifier-diy-kit/

Two watts is barely adequate for the Heresy?

THIS IS A DIY ALTERNATIVE ........from Germany  , read the reviews 

https://www.nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=stc_mkII_pa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

THIS IS A DIY ALTERNATIVE ........from Germany  , read the reviews 

https://www.nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=stc_mkII_pa

Nice, but pricey. Perhaps the components are much better than in the Tubecube? Where is it made? If it is made in 'Chinaland', like the Tubecube.I would say the price is too high. If it is made in Europe, it's different then... 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Nice, but pricey. Perhaps the components are much better than in the Tubecube? Where is it made? If it is made in 'Chinaland', like the Tubecube.I would say the price is too high. If it is made in Europe, it's different then... 

as mentioned it´s a german development and a german product ...of course , even for a diy solution it isn´t that cheap like the chinese stuff .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MicroMara said:

as mentioned it´s a german development and a german product ...of course , even for a diy solution it isn´t that cheap like the chinese stuff .

If it is a kit you need to build yourself, I think it is OK, still quite expensive, compared to the Elekit tube amp kits.

The thing is that this one is very tiny, so it may be a challenge to put together and solder, compared to Elekit, which are bigger, with more space to work on. I thought that the Elekits started at 8 Watts per channel. They have a fabulous reputation. If Nixie is a one-man project, not backed up by a team/company, I have my doubts...

As for so called 'European tube amps', many of them are 'designed and engineered' in Europe, and then built in Chinaland, where workers are abused, maltreated, human rights (Hong Kong!) are not respected, and they externalise the cost to the environment and undermine honest competition by state subsidising. And then they still call it a 'European' product. Nota Bene: you can say the same about your iPhone...

Yet, after all my whining... I took another look at the Nixie tube amp, I also looked at the pictures of it on their website, and I must say it looks really impressive. But I do think you must have good  skills at soldering to put it together! Some of the soldering points are really close to one another!

STC_MkII_innen_1280.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

I' not sure how much soldering you have to do on the Nixie as all resistors are SMD, as an amateur these are hard to solder. You probably just assemble greater components.

If that is the case, you can in no way compare this with the Elekit, where every little resistor must be soldered by the DIY consumer. They charge between 250 and 300 euros to have it done for you, depending on the Elekit dealer...

For me, the fact that Nixiekit doesn't provide the information is another hint that it is 'German design and engineering, produced in Chinaland' and therefore, it should be compared to the Tubecube (which is much cheaper) and not with the Elekit.

The tubes of the Nixiekit are better and more valuable than the stock tubes that come with the Tubecube, it appears, and 'maybe' the other components are better quality too. If that's the case, Mr Nixie should provide more information about their provenance and brand, as Elekit does, and other reliable brands.

I have become extremely sceptical about these internet ventures, which seem to be from Europe, with .eu or .nl or .de in their website address. Often they are Chinaland facades, and when you put an order, delevery times are very long and you can forget about warranty and the like. Contacting them is impossible. I'm not saying this is the case with Nixie, but I've had a few bad experiences with companies like that and now I'm very careful about this...

There are very positive comments about the Nixiekit tube amp here: https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=32367.0 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wetowne said:

That Nixie amp is a hybrid using an STA540 IC amp as the output stage and those EAM86 tubes are just a light show. I wouldn't compare it to the Tubecube. Totally different animal.

I own something similar, branded. It cost 75 euro and has 50 watt, hybrid class D, comes with 2 tubes. It comes Bluetooth enabled. For its price, I love it!DSCF4538.JPG.d54e55b35e78146269bb1f01bc83c71a.JPG  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 6:27 AM, billybob said:
On 4/17/2021 at 9:21 PM, steelgtr said:

Do I need to break it in first?  with or without a load?

thx

Good question...

The outputs require a load on them. Letting the tubes warm up for a few minutes is probably good...

• Thanks 1