Tubecube 7

steelgtr

11 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Thank you!!  Pretty much what I expected accept it does have feedback, I will calculate how much they are using.

I don't like the current source at the output tube, you just cannot beat a simple RC network, the CCS at the cathode will have awful overload characteristics and with such a low powered amp you do not want that. I know they are en vogue at the moment but it's just not a place I would use a CCS.

Other than that it's a pretty cool little amp, I like it.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, tube fanatic said:

Any pentode can be wired to operate as a triode, and there are many wonderful SETs which use pentodes wired that way.  Some pentodes, when “triode strapped”, have more linear characteristics (less distortion) than some popular triodes.  Triode purists may disagree.......

Maynard

my Dynaco MkIVs monoblocks are strapped for "triode" operation of the EL34, it sounds great!  Only dropped it from my Khorn system because I installed my 2A3 PP amps...regards, tony

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Did you do it? What are your impressions?

I can't make up my mind yet. I am seriously considering the SSE board and build my own from tube labs or the ST-35 board from tubes for HI-Fi. In the meantime, I read enough to know the impact of the Pre-amp on the audio so I bought a preamp from tubes4hifi. It should be delivered today and after a reasonable burn in time will see what the next step is.

9 hours ago, sbcoffey42 said:

I read enough to know the impact of the Pre-amp on the audio so I bought a preamp from tubes4hifi.

That's interesting. I have seen "there is no preamp like no preamp. Go direct." And, I have seen "the preamp is most important". I hope to experiment with both. I suppose it depends on the other links in the chain?

9 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

That's interesting. I have seen "there is no preamp like no preamp. Go direct." And, I have seen "the preamp is most important". I hope to experiment with both. I suppose it depends on the other links in he chain?

If you want more than one input then the preamp seems to be the thing. I plan to start this as the input to my as receiver for now until I start the next one

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sbcoffey42 said:
5 hours ago, Area 51 said:

That's interesting. I have seen "there is no preamp like no preamp. Go direct." And, I have seen "the preamp is most important". I hope to experiment with both. I suppose it depends on the other links in he chain?

Expand  

If you want more than one input then the preamp seems to be the thing.

I have a mechanical switch that allows me to connect 4 inputs to my Tubecube 7.

Screenshot_20220206_060916.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...