Shout Out to DeanG

thebes

7 hours ago, thebes said:

For some reason I can't contact you by message. Are you still in the xover biz? Got a small project for you.

-you gotta grab his attention  when he pops in , once a month -

Thanks guys. Can't send him a message via the forum, that's why I posted here.

A former member bought some ALK 5800's and Es-400's in the garage section. We've both heard them and they aren't quite right.

I figured Dean could work his magic on them. Al's backed up for months.

I thought he'd moved his trade over to Facebook or something, but maybe he's through.  I haven't spoken to him in years so I can't call him.

Probably not a simple cap swap.  Gonna need some measurements. 

My buddy is Klipsch fanatic.  He even read books with math in them and stuff, in order to properly treat his room, which has big wall  cylinders, ceiling treatments and other nifty stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebes said:

Gonna need some measurements.

Are you guys just wanting is to test the crossovers to make sure everything is working as designed?

If so, all you need are some resistors to replace the drivers, a true RMS meter (I use a Fluke 115), and a sine wave generator (I use an app on my phone).  

I think I have the ES schematic in LTSpice.  Using it, I can determine what the voltages across the resistors should be for a certain input voltage at a given frequency.

I do this all the time when testing my crossover designs.  It isn't perfect, but clearly shows if I have component issue.  If the voltages are right, and the speaker

sounds bad, then I know my design sucks.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 3:51 PM, thebes said:

A former member bought some ALK 5800's and Es-400's in the garage section. We've both heard them and they aren't quite right.

I figured Dean could work his magic on them. Al's backed up for months.

Crites has a spectrum analyzer.  Could easily measure them and more than likely fix you up.