Walnut Cornwall IV Cat Scratch Repair?

khill

Greetings all,

Newbie here! Firstly, I want to say that these Cornwall IV's were probably the best investment I have made in my 40 years of being an audiophile. I use an all DHT SET system and it is "just right" with these speakers. Yes, I was one of those snooty audiophiles that sat "Klipsch...high-end, pfff..." Oh what hours I've squandered before I came to my senses.

Anyway, I unfortunately am an animal lover and have 3 fur babies with a male Bengal mix that likes to perch and he decided he liked to perch on my new Cornwall's?!? 😣

My question is...how do I hide the claw marks on the cheap without fully refinishing the speakers? I have throw blankets on top now but he still knocks those off at times and he will make a small scratch.

Thank you everyone in advance. I will try my best to add some good content to the forum as I'm an old guy and have some experience with gear matching, tube rolling, and all those audiophile things that push our buttons! 

Kregg

🙂

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317 (1).jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, khill said:

Greetings all,

Newbie here! Firstly, I want to say that these Cornwall IV's were probably the best investment I have made in my 40 years of being an audiophile. I use an all DHT SET system and it is "just right" with these speakers. Yes, I was one of those snooty audiophiles that sat "Klipsch...high-end, pfff..." Oh what hours I've squandered before I came to my senses.

Anyway, I unfortunately am an animal lover and have 3 fur babies with a male Bengal mix that likes to perch and he decided he liked to perch on my new Cornwall's?!? 😣

My question is...how do I hide the claw marks on the cheap without fully refinishing the speakers? I have throw blankets on top now but he still knocks those off at times and he will make a small scratch.

Thank you everyone in advance. I will try my best to add some good content to the forum as I'm an old guy and have some experience with gear matching, tube rolling, and all those audiophile things that push our buttons! 

Kregg

🙂

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317 (1).jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

That was hard to look at.  Ouch!

I don't have cats or an answer to fixing your scratches, but I purchased glass tops for my Cornwalls to prevent anyone from doing anything I can't stop in time. The problem I have with glass tops is that mine do have a tendency to slide easily. I would be worried that one of the cats kicks it off when taking off.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm an animal lover too. I have a dog and a cat. The dog occasionally comes into the music room, the cat never. She doesn't know how to behave and wants to get into everything.

It won't matter what advice you get to repair the speakers if you don't figure out how to prevent it from happening again.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:51 AM, khill said:

I never thought about glass tops. Maybe even Delrin? Thank you!

Scroll up the page for some pics of how one guy here treats his speakers to prevent his cats from damaging them.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:04 PM, The Dude said:

I don't have cats or an answer to fixing your scratches, but I purchased glass tops for my Cornwalls to prevent anyone from doing anything I can't stop in time. The problem I have with glass tops is that mine do have a tendency to slide easily. I would be worried that one of the cats kicks it off when taking off.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Black granite provides protection to the tops of my speakers and matching equipment racks, but not because I have cats. Zero chance the granite moves. I figure the 20% added mass can't hurt either, but that change is still likely to be inaudible. If I were to add speaker spikes, that might have more of a difference now though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Get some unsalted shelled walnuts at the grocery store. Fresh nuts have a certain amount of oil in them you want on those scratches. Literally rub the nut into the scratch areas in all directions. It will crumble a bit and make a mess. Wait a few minutes then rub out the area with a clean cloth. 

This is about as cheap and easy solution as you get. It won't remove the scratches but will greatly disguise them.