Primaluna Evo 300 and Cornwall IVs

T_Evans

18 hours ago, rebuy said:

I haven't tried disconnecting the Coax Cable, only the HDMI and that stops the buzz.

I do not get a popping sound when I switch to HT on the PL.

I use High Quality 4K Cables.

I'm getting some New Speakers and would like to fix this before they get here.

It's a Brain Drain.....

Yeah I feel your pain! I'm not sure yet how to solve the cable box issue either, but I wonder if something like this might help?

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/tdk-corporation/ZCAT1325-0530A-BK/761919?utm_adgroup=Ferrite Cores - Cables and Wiring&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Filters_NEW&utm_term=&productid=761919&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0ljv0G9zgisesyZ5dn4V074yCYPlYUs3kStwVTbPlEhn_c901u9b60IaAi__EALw_wcB

Update: after troubleshooting with Josh at upscale audio, he suggested I try to swap the 4 power tubes from left to right, and then do the same with the preamp tubes if the power tubes didn't fix anything. So swapped the left 2 power tubes with the right 2 power tubes, and no difference, same pop out of the left channel when selecting HT. Swapped the preamp tubes, and VOILA! No pop! So perhaps one of the preamp tubes is faulty. But I would have expected the pop to come from the right channel instead. When I purchased the amp, my dealer threw in a couple bonus Mullard 12AU7 tubes to try out. So now those are in the gain sockets, and I'm seeing if I can identify which of the PL preamp tubes are faulty by switching them out one at a time. Takes a long time to experiment letting the tubes cool off before I change them. So far no luck eliminating the noise floor, but happy the pop is gone. Confidence is slowly coming back with the amp.

• Like 3

The saga continues! After a while of rolling preamp tubes last night, I was still getting the faintest RFI hum through the speakers. After trying the lights off, lamps off, receiver unplugged, cable box unplugged from power and the coax, etc I looked at the red LED on my old PS3 sitting beside the tv (adjacent to the the PL). Thought “what the hell” and unplugged it. Holy crap, the hum disappeared! The friggin PS3 was causing something that the PL was picking up on HT bypass. So one more mystery solved. But I started to think, if I can’t have my cable box or anything electrical like a PS3 connected without noise, what good is this amp? In any case, finally with pure sweet silence coming from the Cornwalls I put on DSOTM and I think I finally revelled in the joy of tubes with the Cornwalls. It sounded glorious. Immersive, beautiful separation and sound stage. 

UNTIL I heard this really high frequency ringing coming from the left speaker! I thought it was coming from outside or I had sudden tinnitus, but no, sure enough it was coming from the speaker. Mute, volume up, volume down, turntable and preamp on, off, no difference. Just this ear splitting tone that immediately interrupted the wonderful music coming from the grooves. It was at this point I pretty much called it a night. I talked to my dealer today and told him I’m done with this unit, it’s not enjoyable, I’m not going to relax listening to it always on guard for something to be wrong, it’s defective and I want to return for refund or replacement. Completely apologetic and sympathetic, he offered a replacement with shipping (once again I can’t say enough good things about Daniel at Vinyl Sound; if you’re in Canada, get in touch with them because they are awesome). I feel bad because I believe this amp should be amazing, I think I just got unlucky and this one is faulty. So naturally, I asked him about the 400, and so for a little extra 💸💸💸 a new Evo 400 is on the way! In the meantime I’ll enjoy the Cornwalls with the Yamaha (which really does sound fantastic) and I’ll update here once the 400 arrives. 

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions, advice and insight. I’m confident the 400 will be a better experience, and I hope my experience hasn’t turned anyone off form PrimaLuna because I do think they are remarkable amps! 

Cheers, and happy Friday! 🍻

Edited by T_Evans
  • Like 1

Hopefully you will have an experience like I have had for the past year and a half with my EVO 400. I did have one tube burn out and Upscale replaced that the next day. I recently rolled in different preamp tubes and kt 150s just to try tube rolling. My amp has been flawless except for the one tube that failed early on and it sounds better the more I use it. I would estimate between music and tv use it is on at least 6 hours a day and I have zero desire to go back to solid state amps because I am addicted to the sound of my Primaluna

good luck with your new amp

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Hey everyone, well the wait is over, the 400 arrived! All I can say is WOW. This is the sound I was expecting! Sounds incredible, so much power, bass, detail, airiness, and none of the noise and interference I was getting with the 300. I'm super excited, and happy that I wasn't way off the mark thinking I had a bad unit with the 300. This is now a noticeable difference from the Yamaha A-S2100, with better imaging and bass slam. Thanks for everyone's help and advice. Ive got my forever set up now with the 400 driving the Cornwall IVs. Perfect match! Again, shameless plug for Daniel at vinylsound.ca who was super patient, understanding, and genuinely concerned about the issues I had, and made the return and exchange super easy. Happy listening!  

IMG_8679.jpg

Edited by T_Evans
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, T_Evans said:

UPDATE: Hey everyone, well the wait is over, the 400 arrived! All I can say is WOW. This is the sound I was expecting! Sounds incredible, so much power, bass, detail, airiness, and none of the noise and interference I was getting with the 300. I'm super excited, and happy that I wasn't way off the mark thinking I had a bad unit with the 300. This is now a noticeable difference from the Yamaha A-S2100, with better imaging and bass slam. Thanks for everyone's help and advice. Ive got my forever set up now with the 400 driving the Cornwall IVs. Perfect match! Again, shameless plug for Daniel at vinylsound.ca who was super patient, understanding, and genuinely concerned about the issues I had, and made the return and exchange super easy. Happy listening!  

IMG_8679.HEICUnavailable

Congrats on getting the EVO 400 and WOW!!!! As I have mentioned many times on the Klipsch Forum I love my Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amp. Over a year and a half ago I went to Upscale Audio just to hear what a 100% all tube Integrated amp would sound like. At that time I owned a very nice sounding Mcintosh MA252 Hybrid Integrated. It was beautiful and sounded very good and I had not finished paying it off. I was not in the market for a new Amp but once I heard the EVO 400 I became obsessed and had to have one. Lucky for me Kevin Deal offered me a great Trade in on my MA252 and the rest is history.

I use it many hours a day. It is far more enjoyable to my ears in every way than the Mcintosh Hybrid was. I listen to music at very low levels in the early morning hours and it sounds very warm and very dynamic even at those levels. I have tube rolled with some Brimar preamp tubes and replaced the EL34s with KT 150s and WHOA!!!!!!!! Spectacular!

The Forte IVs sound freaking amazing with a very wide soundstage and depth beyond the size of the speakers. I imagine  your Cornwalls IVs and your new EVO 400 are a match made in heaven - have fun feeling the music

plIevoMG_1954.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Fido said:

Congrats on getting the EVO 400 and WOW!!!! As I have mentioned many times on the Klipsch Forum I love my Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amp. Over a year and a half ago I went to Upscale Audio just to hear what a 100% all tube Integrated amp would sound like. At that time I owned a very nice sounding Mcintosh MA252 Hybrid Integrated. It was beautiful and sounded very good and I had not finished paying it off. I was not in the market for a new Amp but once I heard the EVO 400 I became obsessed and had to have one. Lucky for me Kevin Deal offered me a great Trade in on my MA252 and the rest is history.

I use it many hours a day. It is far more enjoyable to my ears in every way than the Mcintosh Hybrid was. I listen to music at very low levels in the early morning hours and it sounds very warm and very dynamic even at those levels. I have tube rolled with some Brimar preamp tubes and replaced the EL34s with KT 150s and WHOA!!!!!!!! Spectacular!

The Forte IVs sound freaking amazing with a very wide soundstage and depth beyond the size of the speakers. I imagine  your Cornwalls IVs and your new EVO 400 are a match made in heaven - have fun feeling the music

Thanks! I'm definitely a PrimaLuna convert now too. You are absolutely right, they are a match made in heaven! 

I have a set of Mullard preamp tubes that I'll give a go in a little while. Just trying to take my time with it now that I have a properly functioning unit. Very cool to hear about the KT150s, that'll be the way I go eventually as well, but for now I'll just enjoy the EL34s. Thanks for the insight! Those big 150s look pretty cool too!

PS, not sure why the photo I tried to upload didn't work, looks like its on there now!

2 hours ago, T_Evans said:

Thanks! I'm definitely a PrimaLuna convert now too. You are absolutely right, they are a match made in heaven! 

I have a set of Mullard preamp tubes that I'll give a go in a little while. Just trying to take my time with it now that I have a properly functioning unit. Very cool to hear about the KT150s, that'll be the way I go eventually as well, but for now I'll just enjoy the EL34s. Thanks for the insight! Those big 150s look pretty cool too!

PS, not sure why the photo I tried to upload didn't work, looks like its on there now!

I waited over a year before changing out the el34s which I still love. The kt150s just add a tad more punch on my Forte IVs and the IVs have more punch than my Forte 1s had while losing nothing anywhere along the different frequency ranges. Listening to Jackson Browne acoustic on my system makes it feel like he is playing on a stage 12 feet in front of me in my living room. PS I love the way the EVO400 looks with those big KT 150s

98A55E23-2CDE-48D1-BE5F-7FAC3E709E01_1_105_c.jpg

Forget about using the cage with the 150's Fido, not going to happen. At least not on my PL, Lol!

I have purchased two Dialogue Premium Integrated amps over the last four years or so and agree that both PL and Upscale Audio are TOP NOTCH!

I have also purchased a ton of tubes from Kevin over the years and as far as power tubes go I can no longer listen to anything besides the KT-150 for any length of time. Everyone has their output tube and that is mine. My PL DP's have no problem with them whatsoever, I have a quad in each. Heck, I started using the KT-150 when they first came out in Nos Valves VRD's with Craig's assistance with bias.

Did you know there is now a TUNGSOL KT-170? Sheesh, when will it end?

Anyway, my point is I LOVE PRIMALUNA and I am a vinyl only guy as well.

Love my Dialogue Premium. Connected to the Volti Audio VX Crossovers that I built, connected to the modified La Scalas that I built with the new B&C 2" Coaxial Driver attached to Dave's Elliptrac 400 horn.

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jorjen said:

Forget about using the cage with the 150's Fido, not going to happen. At least not on my PL, Lol!

I have purchased two Dialogue Premium Integrated amps over the last four years or so and agree that both PL and Upscale Audio are TOP NOTCH!

I have also purchased a ton of tubes from Kevin over the years and as far as power tubes go I can no longer listen to anything besides the KT-150 for any length of time. Everyone has their output tube and that is mine. My PL DP's have no problem with them whatsoever, I have a quad in each. Heck, I started using the KT-150 when they first came out in Nos Valves VRD's with Craig's assistance with bias.

Love my Dialogue Premium. Connected to the Volti Audio VX Crossovers that I built, connected to the modified La Scalas that I built with the new B&C 2" Coaxial Driver attached to Dave's Elliptrac 400 horn.

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

That system with those modified LaScala speakers must sound freaking amazing.

T_Evans, congratulations on your new amp. Is the problem with the coax cable also gone? If not, this is usually the only working solution because (or if) there are different ground potentials between the mains and the antenna connection that cause the hum. See below the link. The isolation transformer type works best in my system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheath_current_filter

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 4:14 PM, KT88 said:

T_Evans, congratulations on your new amp. Is the problem with the coax cable also gone? If not, this is usually the only working solution because (or if) there are different ground potentials between the mains and the antenna connection that cause the hum. See below the link. The isolation transformer type works best in my system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheath_current_filter

Thanks, I’ll check that out. Unfortunately the ground loop is still present with the cable box. So I’ll keep working that issue. Thanks for the link!

On 5/4/2021 at 7:11 AM, jorjen said:

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

Beautiful system! What are you using for a phono preamp?

Got a little carried away there OP, sorry. Didn't mean to barge into your thread. You are having a serious problem, one that can become very frustrating. Hope you get it fully resolved.

Thanks for the compliments by the way.

I am using a Lehmann Black Cube SE II phono stage for the Soundsmith Zephyr Mk III with excellent success. Very nice match.

What I have fought mostly over the years with my systems have been room acoustics and speaker placement. You know, small room disease. Best its been right now though. Funny thing is, I had the least trouble with my small rooms with the bigger speakers. Three different pairs of KHorns and a pair of Jube Clones.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jorjen said:

Got a little carried away there OP, sorry. Didn't mean to barge into your thread. You are having a serious problem, one that can become very frustrating. Hope you get it fully resolved.

Thanks for the compliments by the way.

I am using a Lehmann Black Cube SE II phono stage for the Soundsmith Zephyr Mk III with excellent success. Very nice match.

What I have fought mostly over the years with my systems have been room acoustics and speaker placement. You know, small room disease. Best its been right now though. Funny thing is, I had the least trouble with my small rooms with the bigger speakers. Three different pairs of KHorns and a pair of Jube Clones.

Haha no problem! Love seeing pics of everyone's set up! 

It appears the coax cable issue is a common one, so I just need to figure out how to ground it (or unground it maybe). I've found a few remedies like isolation transformers that I will try when I get back home in a couple weeks. I'll let you know when I have it sorted.

Cheers!

With regards to speaker wire connection to the Evo, how many are using bare wire wrapped around the post, or using spade connectors? I was recommended Furutech FP-201(G) connectors at about $24 Cdn each. I'm a fan of using bare wire connections, but I find without a hole in the pots, I'm nervous about stray wire strands after wrapping them around the post.  Worth spending the $100 to have piece of mind not having a short, and a secure connection with the spade? Any degrade in the audio?