Forte works intermintenttly

One of my Forte 1's only comes on when I turn the volume up to a medium level. Then, while I'm listening it will just stop playing until I turn the volume up again. This doesn't happen all the time. One day it will play fine and the next I will have these issues. I know there's something going on in the crossover, but I don't have a clue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by limited_edition
  • Like 1

• Moderators

The first thing I would do is switch the L and R speaker and see if it follows that speaker. This will eliminate either electronics problems or confirm a speaker problem.

It would at least take some of the guessing out of what's going on, then go from there. And it's free to try. 

• Like 3

I'd agree it's prolly not the speaker crossover.  Do the simple cable/speaker switch and see what shakes out.  I'd think it's more in the receiver you're using but that's a guess.  :).  I wouldn't do the deox spray until it was narrowed down to that as a possisble solution.  What kind of receiver are you using and how old is it?  That will give all of us a better idea on what's happening.  Give us the skinny!  THEN we'll help you spend your money.  We've allllll been there!  We're all limited editions too!   😂  😂  :)

• Like 1

I have a few things that come to mind.

Switch speaker outputs on amp

gain access to the crossover and tap on the individual componants to see if that effects sound

check solder joints to see if any are cracked

look for any obvious burning etc of electrical componants

check the binding post to see if it is cracked. 

Judging by the fact that the whole speaker goes out, I would check anything that shares a common source like the positive and negative supply

I don't think there is a zener diode or any type of protection built into that circuit. 

Note, do not jiggle the connections going to the tweeter diaphragm. They are very delicate and can break the fine wire that leads to the voice coil on them. 

Good luck!

On 4/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, limited_edition said:

One of my Forte 1's only comes on when I turn the volume up to a medium level. Then, while I'm listening it will just stop playing until I turn the volume up again. This doesn't happen all the time. One day it will play fine and the next I will have these issues. I know there's something going on in the crossover, but I don't have a clue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1st reaction-------either you're  having a wiring-cabling  issue  where the wiring is not connecting properly ------- or 1 channel of  the amplifier is damaged  --swap the speakers , if the problem persists , swap another  amplifier and retest ---both speakers -