It's an addiction. Looking for advice, tips.

Tony A

Newbie here to the site.  Love listening to concerts on DVD and BluRay in 2 channel.  Mostly rock and classic rock.

Background.  Started with a Harmon Kardon AVR 430, Infinity Primus 360 mains, Primus 160 rears and a 12" Infinity Primus Sub.  Didn't know jack about subs and cranked the gain to the max.  Blew the sub amp in about 8 months.  Rebuilt the amp off of eBay and blew it again in another year.  

Learned how to operate a sub and bought a R-115SW Klipsch sub.   Love it.  Run the gain at about 11 o'clock.

Last year bought a pair of RP-8000F and a second R-115SW,  Sounds awesome but still want more.

Listening room is my two car garage a.k.a. mancave.  26' x 30' by 10.5' tall.  

Just ordered two more 15" subs, SPL-150SW during the recent 25% off sale. Will have a total of 4 now.

Also looking for a good deal on a pair of RF-7, but will probably get impatient and buy new.

Can I keep splitting my single sub output on the Harmon Kardon to 4 subs?  Splitting to two now and sounds fine.

Will be looking for a good 2 channel amp for the 7's.  Been reading about old Kenwood 220w basic amps.  And just beginning to learn about bi-wiring, O my I have more to learn :)

Bottom line I have learned that I have an "ear" for what sounds "good" and unfortunately only money improves that quality of sound.  I envy those who can spend 15k plus on a single speaker as I can only imagine the bliss they emit.

Weird question.  What to do with my 8000's.  I saw a photo where it looked like a guy had 7's and 8000's together as mains.  Not sure how to balance with power but it was a cool picture.  May just sell the 8000's as they are only about a year old.

Sorry for the ramble.  Klipsch fan now for life.

• Like 3

Sounds like you are off to a good start.  You have a large-ish room with high ceilings, which is good.  You have some pretty good gear to start out with.  My recommendation is that you look into some room treatment.  My guess is that your garage is pretty echo-y and reflective.  Some absorption and diffusion will probably make the gear you already have sound a LOT better.  You can accomplish this for just a few hundred dollars for everything.  A few thick absorber panels and some strategically-placed diffusers will definitely bring a smile to your face.

I would venture just on experience---no facts from your actual equip. that with 4 subs you will be at the limit for your one output from receiver. This is given that you are only using one input on each sub. If you are "Y" into 2 inputs on each sub then you're at the limit with 2 subs already.

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be doing a lot of reading on this site tonight :)

My guess is that your garage is pretty echo-y and reflective.  Some absorption and diffusion 

I have a lot of "stuff" on the walls and "stuff" all over diffusing.  I have looked into diy bass traps for behind my listening area and something for the ceiling.

How much "more" do you want? 

I don't play the lottery so I guess I'll never get what I really want, lol

I have about 5k or so left in my current budget after the two new subs arrive this week.

If you are "Y" into 2 inputs on each sub then you're at the limit with 2 subs already.

That's what I thought :(  Changes my perspective on how to power my planned setup with 7's.

Thanks again.  Sure I may have more questions after pouring over the site here some more.

• Like 1

Cornfused, these guys describe how splitting 3-4 powered subs off of one output is no problem.  Starting at about the 7:30 mark.  They even talk about how if your "average" AVR has two outputs they are parallel anyway which is the same has a Y splitter at around the 6:30 mark.

Edited by Tony A

19 hours ago, Bubo said:

You should be able to use a Y cable to split the output for 2 subs

Look up the impedance for your output, the voltage, and inputs on the subs

and post it here.

Thanks for the reply.

I've looked high and low and even found the tech specs, none list the sub output specs.  I have a Fluke T+Pro electrical tester but all it is showing is continuity when I test the output.  My multimeter is RIP.  Need to get a new one.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/elect/htreceivers/avr430.html

2 current subs are Klipsch 15" R115-SW and the 2 new ones are the Klipsch 15" SPL-150SW.

I have ordered this splitter to try.

https://creativeaudio.net/xd-aics-1f4f/?sku=XD-AICS-1F4F&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4ImEBhDFARIsAGOTMj8qTRJ2zRg7BguipXM-hELD3ROxTAn8feBbaDYGMhHO_KyHIzIcQI0aArkyEALw_wcB

And the two new subs arrived today, woo hoo!

Edited by Tony A

• 3 weeks later...

So I split the sub output 4 ways.  Two new subs are in the rear corners, two original are still left and right on the soundstage.  As far as my ears can tell it is a VAST improvement to the low end.  Really notice the missing mid range now though with no amp powering the 8000s although the HK is pushing 80w RMS to them.

Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 arrived last week and RF-7 IIIs arrive Monday.

Next week will be going to Menards for some noise/fire insulation to build some DIY bass traps.

Super excited to take this system up to the next level!  Hope my wife doesn't divorce me :)

Edited by Tony A
  • Like 1

I would also opt for a Mini DSP 2x4 HD. Integrating 4 subs while using a Mini DSP has a steep learning curve. There are lots of YouTube videos on the subject. I would use the videos of home theater guru or home theater gamer.

You would also need a to buy Umik 1 and install REW software. REW is free and gives you the tools to measure the subs and asbest them individually both also create a house curve.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the welcomes and much appreciate the tip on the minidsp 2x4 NBPK402 & Kamidioblitz.  Looks like I have some more studying to do. 

Not tonight though, RF-7's just got delivered today, a day late :)

Edited by Tony A
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 9:13 PM, Tony A said:

old Kenwood 220w basic amps

Have a Kenwood M2A and preamp C2 hooked up to a pair of CF-3's.  Really impressive :)  and much better than my old Marantz 1152B.

Holey Moley Batman!!!  The difference was amazing, I'm at a loss of words to the improvement.  I was in audio bliss.  I did some adjustments to the sub gain settings just from listening and am now more excited about the idea of pursuing a Mini DSP to further fine tune them.

One big revelation is how much louder the music is perceived at a lower dB now.

Maybe louder isn't the correct word but I experienced the feelings of music at 85dB like I have never experienced before outside of a live concert.  Brought tears to my eyes :)

Moving towards 90dB was mind blowing.  After they are good and broke in I'll have to fire up one of my favorite concert dvd's and break out the bic concert lighter.

Need to get busy on those bass traps now ;)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Emile said:

Have a Kenwood M2A and preamp C2 hooked up to a pair of CF-3's.  Really impressive :)  and much better than my old Marantz 1152B.

My Kenwood M2A is powering Polk SDA SRS. Other side of the room I have La Scala and Cornwall on an Onkyo M504.

• Like 1