the other legend of horns, Dr. Bruce Edgar

Colin

And your horns image, which horns characteristically don't do. The Klipschorn was designed for the days of mono, and it simply doesn't image. I think at the 1988 Stereophile show we had some folks come in who were well respected in the field, who said, "Gee, those horns actually image. I've never heard that before." Maybe you can describe a little bit about how your design evolved.

Old, long, detailed and interesting interview with the other legend of horns, Dr. Bruce Edgar

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4/edgarinterview.htm

The Other End of the Single End: Modern Horns Done With Flare An interview with Dr. Bruce Edgar NEW

by Dave Glackin

Now you guys pay attention to Bruce, he knows what he's talking about. I own some Edgar saladbowls for use above 700hz and they are imaging champs for what that's worth. And tonality is much better than that from old Klipsch horns like the K-400 and K-600. And I've heard Bruce's big Titan and boys the KHorns ain't as good, no way.

Note that the current use of tractrix horns in Klipsch speakers was inspired by Bruce's use of them. The designers at Klipsch were at one time quite frank in crediting Bruce with inspiring them to go tractrix.

By the way, Bruce is quite and admirer of ole PWK but he understands what PWK was doing and why and has no illusions about the man.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

• Sad 1

I wasn't knocking Edgar Bruce....just stating fact...PWK's speakers DO have imaging...maybe not the best on earth, but they still image!! I also have a lot of respect for Edgar Bruce...and his tractrics horns...but he also didn't invent the concept...he just made the concept more available...through his various applications and research on it. In those ways, he and PWK are more similar than different...both of them building on previous concepts and enriching the knowledge and listening satisfaction of the rest of the world!

Seriously though I really would like to hear some of Bruce Edgar's work.

I have heard consistently good things about his horn speakers.

I think sometimes the problem with a three way design like most of the Heritage series is that your image gets stretched vertically due to the three drivers.

A two way on the other hand is more localized vertically.

That being said I do think that the Klipsh image rather well.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace, Josh

I have heard Dr. edgar's speakers and they are very nice sounding indeed! but I can tell you my k-horns image just fine...smaller sweet spot than some othe rspeakers I have owned, but when I am in the sweet spot I get good side to side and front to back imaging...maybe you need to check your polarity or something bud! regards, tony

Klipschorns don't image!! I think mine do. I have mine 11 feet apart and set into a "bay" in the front of my living room. The short wall's length exactly matches the sides of the Khorns. In other words, they just fit. Although the short walls are short, they are sturdy, and bass does not suffer. The long side walls of the room are then another 5 feet or so away from the Khorns, and the room is 25 ft deep to the rear with a cathedral ceiling running from 7' high at the khorns front wall to 10' in the center of the room. I sit about 6 or 7 feet from the plane of the speakers and hear great depth, height, width, and separation of sound. Some live rock recordings from this nearfield position give an impression of the performer's being on a stage slightly above my head. When listening to Nick Drake's 'Pink Moon', the piano solo seems to be coming straight from my left side as if I could look to my left well beyond the speakers and see a piano. When listening to some small jazz combos, it seems as if I am at a front row table in a club (such as Bill Evans Waltz for Debbie). When listening to some classical recordings, the tympani are in my front yard. Is this not imaging, or am I missing something?

• 16 years later...

Last time I corresponded with Dr. Edgar (no relation), he was very ill. It was quite a long time ago. Anybody know how he's done since then?

Also, just FYI, Dr. Edgar advises against using tractrix horns for bass. Fine for everything else, but they roll-off too high for bass. His words, not mine: http://www.goodsoundclub.com/GetPost.aspx?PostID=21755&Phrase=tractrix

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Greg,,,He must be doing ok... this is fairly current, I think.

That's good. I've never met him, but he was very cordial in the emails. He is very much of the "build it and see" mindset rather than "the theory says" mindset.

They have carbon firber horns...

Well, I'm not sure that's really necessary, but they look interesting.

Why do so many horn loudspeakers have to be so ugly? IMHO, one of the reasons for the Klipschorn's longevity is that it can be a truly beautiful piece of furniture.

• Like 1