the other legend of horns, Dr. Bruce Edgar

Colin

11 hours ago, Schu said:

What's the effect of not controlling the polar regions of those 'round' horns?

I just figure we live in rectangular rooms, so our horns should have rectangular mouths.  The only room that was round in the vertical plane was the exercise wheel in 2001:  A Space Odyssey.  Those round horns would be ideal in that room.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, Edgar said:

Last time I corresponded with Dr. Edgar (no relation), he was very ill. It was quite a long time ago. Anybody know how he's done since then?

Also, just FYI, Dr. Edgar advises against using tractrix horns for bass. Fine for everything else, but they roll-off too high for bass. His words, not mine: http://www.goodsoundclub.com/GetPost.aspx?PostID=21755&Phrase=tractrix

Romy the Cat is a World Class jerk. The way he writes, everyone is an idiot except him. Don't wast you time.

On 12/12/2002 at 9:27 PM, TBrennan said:

Now you guys pay attention to Bruce, he knows what he's talking about. I own some Edgar saladbowls for use above 700hz and they are imaging champs for what that's worth. And tonality is much better than that from old Klipsch horns like the K-400 and K-600. And I've heard Bruce's big Titan and boys the KHorns ain't as good, no way.

Note that the current use of tractrix horns in Klipsch speakers was inspired by Bruce's use of them. The designers at Klipsch were at one time quite frank in crediting Bruce with inspiring them to go tractrix.

By the way, Bruce is quite and admirer of ole PWK but he understands what PWK was doing and why and has no illusions about the man.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Paul Voight invented the Tractrix horns in the 1930's in England. He also came up with the Lowther driver for his corner horn, which are now used in Transmission line/backloaded horns, 1/4 wave pipe, and open baffle systems today. There is a Voight corner horn in the Klipsch Museum in Hope.

25 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Romy the Cat is a World Class jerk. The way he writes, everyone is an idiot except him. Don't wast you time.

I am fully aware of that. But the quote of interest is from Dr. Edgar, not from Romy.

• 9 months later...