Appropriate room size for which speaker?

Hifi72

On 4/21/2021 at 7:55 AM, Shakeydeal said:

That space would be perfect for a pair of Fortes, and you can find the IIIs at pretty good prices now that the IVs are out. And you probably wouldn't need a sub at all.

I would go for Heritage instead of RP all day long.

Shakey

I have to agree. I’ve had my Forte 2s in big rooms, small room and a big room with high ceilings. They sound great in any size room.

• Like 1

I also use the exact same Marantz unit - highly underrated. You will be fine. It matches well with Klipsch products. go for the best speakers you can find/afford. The Marantz could be changed down the road. In the mean time you will be very pleased. I'd lean towards Fortes or if fortunate Cornwalls.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YK Thom said:

I also use the exact same Marantz unit - highly underrated. You will be fine. It matches well with Klipsch products. go for the best speakers you can find/afford. The Marantz could be changed down the road. In the mean time you will be very pleased. I'd lean towards Fortes or if fortunate Cornwalls.

Good to know!  I find the Marantz a great little component.  I'll keep an eye on the used market re:Fortes.  They are just above budget even by selling the Moon and Arias I think.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have Cornwalls in a similar sized room. I’ve tried my RP160s in there as well. The Cornwalls fill the room with ease, probably could fill a room twice the size. The RP160s actually rock out pretty good in there too but they don’t have nearly the dynamic headroom and punch at moderate volumes and higher. Not to mention less midrange detail but that’s not a fair fight. I would imagine the Heresy’s would split the difference and maintain most of the midrange detail.  With a sub I bet they’d be great. 

I use an SVS sb3000 with my Cornwalls, though it hasn’t been on in awhile. Lol. It has all the power you’ll ever need in your room. I would suspect the 2000 or even 1000 might be enough. Honestly there are folks on here who are a lot more experienced and knowledgeable than me on the subject. I can only relate what I have. 
Back to the speaker vs room size. I c did compare the JBL L100 classics and my KLF20s to my Cornwall IVs in my room. Even though the JBLs and KLFs were plenty of speaker for the room, the Cornwalls still had a bigger wall of sound that could be appreciated. Kind of like a 75 inch tv is plenty for a home theater for most but if you then put a 100inch screen in you’d still appreciate the larger image. 

So preference for floor models isn't necessarily a thing for most people? I  have seen Heresy IV, and Jubilee systems. probably a few others too. I am still learning. I see the compressions systems with crossovers. That is what I want. I couldn't imagine a system without it in any room. I mean now that I know that they exist. 

I was looking to build something similar in reference to a home sound system. I always hated when they talk so low and them ... BLam! something blows up and it shakes everything, including setting off car alarms. Yeah, I really want to see what fun I could have with a $13k floor model.