KPT 904 Active Crossover Downstream of Amp?

Hilltoppa

Need some help deciding on an active crossover for my  2-channel 2-way setup. I listen to all types of music and use Vinyl, CD and R-to-R source materials.

I am  trying out a number of speaker systems and switching around the horns between different bass bins: My goal is to find the best sounding system to my ears and in my room. This setup is in my home shop so I have a 22" by 24" space to fill and I am not worried about the cosmetics (No WAF involved). It may be I need 2 systems - one for Rock and one for Classical/Jazz.

The Speaker components I have or will shortly finish putting together are:

Lascalas with  KP 480 Bass Bins.  - Lascalas have upgraded crossovers, mids and tweeters.

KPT 904 system with the K510 Horn - Still building

JBL 4722 setup - system running with JBL 3722 horns. Waiting on the drivers and will switch to the 4722 horns. (1.5" vs 1" drivers)

May try the JBL 4722 horn on the KPT 904 to see what happens

I am using a Rougue Audio Cronus Magnum 2 as my amp/pre-amp.  This is an integrated tube amp so I cannot put the crossover between the pre-amp and the amp so it will need to go beteween the amp and the speakers.  I will be rolling the tubes a bit to see if it affects the speaker sets differently. Don't think it will but want to confirm. 

I also run a 12" Velodyne Servo sub.

I do not want to bi-amp - I am just looking for a hardware solution utilizing my Rogue.

Will be using L-Pads to balance the Hi and Low frequency outputs on the theatre systems. I know the Hi frequencies run hot. 

My goal is to find the best sounding system to my ears and in my room. I think of the above as a starting point. If I find more equipment I will add to thelineup to listen to.

I am on the hunt for putting this system together as cheaply as possible so I will be looking at used equipment. 

What I need is a good downstream crossover that has a bit of flexibility and does not require extended testing to set up.  I want to tweak it with my ears. Once I get the system set up I will get into audio analysis equipment and how to use it but that is in Phase 2 of this project. I have a LOT to learn there and  I am just not ready for it.

I have researched crossover brands and these seem to be the recommended ones:

DBX

Ashley

Bryston

Behringer

Xilica

Before I get into reading manuals to see which ones are downstream capable and meet my needs I was hoping for some guidance/experience from the forum to shorten the list or, potentially, take it in another direction given the guidelines noted above. I am looking at the 80% solution on these - not the 100% solution.  

All thoughts are appreciated. 

• Moderators

Only have heard of them being upstream of the amp. As far as i know they run off of line voltage not amped up voltage, I use it just before the amp then straight out to the speakers. 

• Like 1

That is what most of the threads show but there were a few that talked about adjustable crossovers in the downstream side. I may have misunderstood. 

As you can tell - I am new to this and still trying to figure it out. 

Should I use a low pass filter on the sub inlet to break the Hi and Low frequencies apart? Then what do I do on the hi side. 

I do have an extra rebulit Klipsch Type AA crossover set from my LaScalas I could use but it is a 3-way and not a 2-way.

I'm using a mini dsp 2x4hd on my kpt 904s. I'm using the active peqs straight from klipsch. The minidsp is a little nosey on the horns so I hand to pad the input to my amp for the horns. You can set the hf output down about -3db on the dsp helping calm down hot the horns r. I'm looking into getting a xilica dsp in the near furniture. You definitely need to run your pre outs to the dsp then to your amp and straight to your horns and your other channel to the bass bins. Correct me if wrong but didnt you just snag a set of 904lf-N out in Pennsylvania? The 904-lf-n has a passive crossover inside the bass bin. You can just run that with a mono amp and use a lapd on the hf to tone down the hf, thags what i did until I was able to get a active crossover set up. 

two-way-active-crossover.png

Edited by Dan A
Added more context

Much Thanks - I did just get the 904 bass bins an a set of JBL 4722's.  I am setting them up to compare to my Lascala setup. 

It sounds like I was making this a lot harder than it needs to be.  I thought the crossver in the bass bin was a Low Pass so I needed to add a crossover for the Horns.  

4 hours ago, Hilltoppa said:

Much Thanks - I did just get the 904 bass bins an a set of JBL 4722's.  I am setting them up to compare to my Lascala setup. 

It sounds like I was making this a lot harder than it needs to be.  I thought the crossver in the bass bin was a Low Pass so I needed to add a crossover for the Horns.  

Im always happy to help,, I've learned a ton latey about this for my 904s. It has both high pass and low pass. If you look at the barrior strip on the side you should see inputs on the left and a hf output on the right. it's more than likely a bi-amp version. Once you open it up you can see there will be 2 inputs one for hf and one for low, they are probably tied in together for one input similarly to how the heritage or rp/rf biamped versions are without the fancy terminals like they have. If you do use them you just need to make sure you find a way to pad the horn by around 3db. The 904 is designed to be place behind a screen and the hf has a harder time pricing through the screen than the lf so they turn up the horns for commercial theaters. Have fun I've been tinkering with my 904s for a few months and it's been enjoyable! Feel free to message me if you have questions I'm more than happy to help someone to the dark side 😆