1953 Klipschorn JR

stratguysrv

New Member, I just inherited my grandfathers KHorns they ae completely original and unmolested as far as I can tell. I grew up listening to these amazing speakers and I'm looking forward to revitalizing them. My question is about the Style: JR I can't seem to find any information about them. 

Thanks in advance for any information,

1953 KHorn JR 2 thumb.jpg

1953 KHorn JR 4 thumb.jpg

1953 KHorn JR 6 (Woofer) thumb.jpg

1953 KHorn JR 7 (Tweeter) thumb  .jpg

1953 KHorn JR 9 thumb.jpg

Edited by stratguysrv
spelling
  • Like 2

the Khorn JR   did not have a top hat ,  it  used a Khorn bass bin with the Cobreflex EV  horn -------or the Cobreflex IIB horn with the University SAHF  ------and The University MID-T-4401 tweeter  as well as the Stephens 103LX2  woofer--  the XO was the K-500 / 5000 network

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_2018_06/3465458C-53B7-4D99-9C37-176120302754.thumb.jpeg.cef94d52ef8ce368ecb96777c6af55d1.jpegSAHF FS: Klipsch & Associates University SA-HF Driver - Garage Sale - The  Klipsch Audio CommunityCobreflex_IIB_bw-trans.png&width=460&heiimage.jpeg.46e9190a30c8f78f8e3fa8e7aaff2410.jpegVintage 2 MID-T 4401 Tweeter - Speaker by University | #74831418

Very cool, thanks for all the information. My grandfather had said it was a gift from Mr. Klipsch and at some point it was mated to '54 KHorn with a K5 Squawker, University 4401 Tweeter,   and a Stephens 103 LX2. with the  same K-500 /5000 crossover. S/N 729

On 4/26/2021 at 2:38 PM, stratguysrv said:

Very cool, thanks for all the information. My grandfather had said it was a gift from Mr. Klipsch and at some point it was mated to '54 KHorn with a K5 Squawker, University 4401 Tweeter,   and a Stephens 103 LX2. with the  same K-500 /5000 crossover. S/N 729

you should contact @JRH   He's the klipsch Historian ,  he could give you more details as to this SER# 529

The logbook shows this one shipped to R. P. Watson of Texarkana on Nov. 3, 1953.  It also says "sold by PWK". 

The Junior was a compromise (cheaper) so that the buyer could delay the additional cost of upgrading to the "real thing".  Paul was never proud of these.  They are pretty rare!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRH said:

The logbook shows this one shipped to R. P. Watson of Texarkana on Nov. 3, 1953.  It also says "sold by PWK". 

The Junior was a compromise (cheaper) so that the buyer could delay the additional cost of upgrading to the "real thing".  Paul was never proud of these.  They are pretty rare!

Awesome, that was my grandfather, thank again for the information. The story I grew up hearing was that my grandfather was into recoding pipe organs on reel2reel. Mr. Klipsch had somehow heard about my grandfather, I think it was through John Eargle, and invited him to Hope and wanted him bring some of his recordings for speaker testing purposes. KHorn #729 was sold to my grandfather by John M. Eargle. 

1954 KHorn #729.JPG

1954 KHorn #729 (1).JPG

image_50388993 (1).JPG

• Like 4

VERY interesting.  Organ recording with John Eargle is touched upon in the new 75th Pictorial History book.  

No correspondence with your grandfather has so far been discovered in our archives, but I will be looking for such.  Thanks!

• Like 1