calling all pepper heads ...

BigStewMan

in your opinon, what is the tastiest pepper?  doesn't necessarily have to be super hot; but something that you feel enhances the taste of a dish. 

Many love the taste of habenero, some Ancho.  

my interest lies mainly in making salsa. at the grocery store, I see jalapeño, Serrano, Anaheims readily available.  I've used them all. But, looking for something with a kick; but also a dynamite taste.

any suggestions?

• Like 1

I've got your answer but I can't find them since I got addicted to them. Not the little pumpkins, they hurt me later on. Darn they're good in salsa though. It's simple and sirachi sauce is made from them. Ripe Jalapenos. They've got like triple plus some more in scoville value, but a sweetness to them at the same time. LaPreferida quit putting them in bottles so I am going to "grow my own" when I get settled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Coming soon.....late August/Sept.

I had a hell of a time this year getting my Chocolate Reaper, Chocolate Habaneros, Chocolate Ghost seeds to germinate.  I need a setup like this for next year.  Looks simple, plastic shelving with lighting system. Any insight would be appreciated.  

To answer OPs question.  I like Reapers for heat in rubs,  but flavor I preferer Habaneros and Jalapenos.  I always grow Reapers, habaneros, and Jalapenos.  Last year I grew a Trinidad scorpion, this year I will substitute that for a Ghost.  If Peeper Joes comes through for me, I will add some Chocolate varieties as mentioned above. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I had a hell of a time this year getting my Chocolate Reaper, Chocolate Habaneros, Chocolate Ghost seeds to germinate.  I need a setup like this for next year.  Looks simple, plastic shelving with lighting system. Any insight would be appreciated.  

To answer OPs question.  I like Reapers for heat in rubs,  but flavor I preferer Habaneros and Jalapenos.  I always grow Reapers, habaneros, and Jalapenos.  Last year I grew a Trinidad scorpion, this year I will substitute that for a Ghost.  If Peeper Joes comes through for me, I will add some Chocolate varieties as mentioned above. 

If you don't have them already, heat mats are the secret to successful germination.  Exotic peppers are notorious for low germination rates, and I found that this year as well.  All of these seeds were put in March 22.  First sprouts March 27.

• Like 5

I was wondering how I got to react to this thread before @oldtimer & @jimjimbo !

Knew they were the experts here.

& even though it hurt my guts, I got that $20 for eating that little orange pumpkin on a dare from my co-workers that day.

Untitled.jpg

Not hot like a hab, very tasty though! Guess if I want some by the fall I'd better get some seeds and germinate now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seti said:

I love the Scotch Bonnet sauce I've had in the Caribbean. It is difficult to have a hot sauce that is also tastey but they do a great job.

Pineapple, Mango, Scotch Bonnets, garlic and mustard

I love the ghost chilies.   If one can get over the heat they have a wonderful flavor.   

I cook a Mexican dinner once a week and grill Jalapenos with it.  The heat in them is very inconsistent.   Some are like spicy Bell Peppers and some are real burners. 

Can anyone tell by the size, time of year , or scent???

tc

Just now, IB Slammin said:

I love the ghost chilies.   If one can get over the heat they have a wonderful flavor.   

I cook a Mexican dinner once a week and grill Jalapenos with it.  The heat in them is very inconsistent.   Some are like spicy Bell Peppers and some are real burners. 

Can anyone tell ?  the size, time of year , or scent???

tc

5 minutes ago, IB Slammin said:

Some are like spicy Bell Peppers and some are real burners. 

Can anyone tell by the size, time of year , or scent???

Very dependent on the actual variety.  Grocery store jalapenos could come from anywhere, you never know.  And, they are picked very early which is not great for heat or flavor development.  Peppers do pretty well in containers, so go to a good nursery and pick out a couple of nice plants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Very dependent on the actual variety.  Grocery store jalapenos could come from anywhere, you never know.  And, they are picked very early which is not great for heat or flavor development.  Peppers do pretty well in containers, so go to a good nursery and pick out a couple of nice plants.

Thanks 

Thought I'd try the amazon fresh today and got lucky. They had those great Xochitl tortilla chips and I got 1 1/2 lbs of j a p s. That was our abbreviation for them at a mexican restaraunt I worked and drank at long ago.

They aren't fully ripe but if they've started they might keep going in the sunshine!

PXL-20210422-223324735.jpg

• Like 1