calling all pepper heads ...

BigStewMan

1 hour ago, Jeeper said:

Nice looking set up you have jimjimbo for starting your plants.

Having a small garden is a joy to have.

Thank you.  Yes it is a joy.  I'm lucky to have a small space where I can do this without disturbing the rest of the house.  Have been doing it for quite a few years.

6 hours ago, IB Slammin said:
6 hours ago, IB Slammin said:

I love the ghost chilies.   If one can get over the heat they have a wonderful flavor.   

I cook a Mexican dinner once a week and grill Jalapenos with it.  The heat in them is very inconsistent.   Some are like spicy Bell Peppers and some are real burners. 

Can anyone tell by the size, time of year , or scent???

tc

Luck of the draw I'm afraid. I was at a real mexican restauraunt ordered roasted stuffed jalapenos the girl said they are hot I said I know I've had this before and she said yes but the kitchen wants you to know they are hot hot. I stupidly ordered the roasted jalapenos. As I took the first bight I notice the entire kitchen staff has walked out to see me take a bite. One bite and it was the hottest pepper I have ever had. I turned red started dripping in swet and got tunnel vision. The kitchen sent me a pitcher of water and tortillas. When a kitchen says it is hot now I listen.... How the hell does a jalapeno get that hot........

16 hours ago, seti said:

Luck of the draw I'm afraid. I was at a real mexican restauraunt ordered roasted stuffed jalapenos the girl said they are hot I said I know I've had this before and she said yes but the kitchen wants you to know they are hot hot. I stupidly ordered the roasted jalapenos. As I took the first bight I notice the entire kitchen staff has walked out to see me take a bite. One bite and it was the hottest pepper I have ever had. I turned red started dripping in swet and got tunnel vision. The kitchen sent me a pitcher of water and tortillas. When a kitchen says it is hot now I listen.... How the hell does a jalapeno get that hot........

It is a combination of the sun, soil, and water the plant gets, plus probably good old genetics since chiles cross pollinate readily.  Jalapenos are the most varied heat-wise in my experience.

• Like 2

Yup, there are definitely different heat levels of jalapenos. As stated previously cross pollination happens. I grew jalapenos next to my ghost pepper  and scorpion pepper plants once !!!  OMG, those jalapenos were so friggin hot, I couldn't even stand it.

I always dehydrate my peppers and turn them into powder with my VitaMix. I gave that super hot jalapeno powder,  scorpion pepper powder & the ghost pepper powder to a guy I used to work with. He loved it. I have enough poblano pepper, mild jalapeno & tobasco pepper powder to last me the rest of my life  !

To anyone wanting to do this yourself :

make sure ALL the moisture is out. Before turning on blender wet some paper towels and drape them over the top & use a big rubber band, to catch the fine powder that escapes. Open directly under your stoves exhaust fan while on high. If not, you will effectively pepper spray your entire house. Lol, it didn't bother me but the rest of the family was NOT HAPPY  ! Lol  Or just do it outside & stand up wind ! Lol

On 4/22/2021 at 10:21 PM, seti said:

Peppers can be strange. I can chop up a ghost and put rings on a sandwich and it no doubt has some big heat. At the same time, I can chew up a tiny Tabasco pepper and it will bring me to my knees and reaching for milk. I don't pick my Jalapeños until they start to what is called corking.  Its basically when lines start to develop down them and this is supposedly when they have reached their max potency.   It can happen when they're green, red or brown, you just never know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It is a combination of the sun, soil, and water the plant gets, plus probably good old genetics since chiles cross pollinate readily.  Jalapenos are the most varied heat-wise in my experience.

When you coming to AR Old timer?    You need to come clean out my freezer. 

9 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Its basically when lines start to develop down them and this is supposedly when they have reached their max potency.   It can happen when they're green, red or brown, you just never know.

interesting.  I was watching a cooking video last night and this Mexican lady said her mother had told her that exact thing about the lines on the pepper indicating that it's hot. 

PXL-20210425-203426295.jpg

Why do they pick these before they're ripe?

It's a shame `cause they're so much better this way!

Jalapenos from Amazon fresh (they were .89 for 8oz) is where I'll get them until I have my own plants producing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Less damage during shipping.

For the ones in the produce dept maybe, but not pickled. Only saw that for two years, got me hooked then a year ago couldn't find them at all.

Bound to be a farmers market where they can be had, but I'm a-ok for the next few days here.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:34 PM, BigStewMan said:

in your opinon, what is the tastiest pepper?  doesn't necessarily have to be super hot; but something that you feel enhances the taste of a dish. 

Many love the taste of habenero, some Ancho.  

my interest lies mainly in making salsa. at the grocery store, I see jalapeño, Serrano, Anaheims readily available.  I've used them all. But, looking for something with a kick; but also a dynamite taste.

any suggestions?

For salsa, it's hard to beat a Chile Pequin, aka chile de monte. Tasty, flavor packed little buggers that will bring a tear to your eye. They are most definitely a favorite all along the South Texas border region. Easy to grow, but they can't survive a cold snap much below the mid 30's. Lots of different takes on making salsa, cooked or not cooked, very flavorful. I love'em toasted on a comal together with tomatoes and/or tomatillos. They're excellente my friend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

For salsa, it's hard to beat a Chile Pequin, aka chile de monte. Tasty, flavor packed little buggers that will bring a tear to your eye. They are most definitely a favorite all along the South Texas border region. Easy to grow, but they can't survive a cold snap much below the mid 30's. Lots of different takes on making salsa, cooked or not cooked, very flavorful. I love'em toasted on a comal together with tomatoes and/or tomatillos. They're excellente my friend.

thanks for the tip ... I will give those Chile pequins a whirl. I do cook the peppers for salsa. 

On 4/23/2021 at 3:11 PM, CECAA850 said:

My 3 plants are full of flowers.  I cut them back after the freeze and they've come back with a vengeance.

All of mine were wiped out by snowmaggedon. I cut them back as well and even covered them with horse feed bags. The pequins are easy to grow but die just as easy, if not easier.

On 4/25/2021 at 4:44 PM, JohnJ said:

Why do they pick these before they're ripe?

It's a shame `cause they're so much better this way!

they artificially  control the ripening of fruits and vegetables   in  trucks with Ethylene control systems  --some suppliers use sulfur and nitrogen to increase shelf life in warehouses--- if you are concerned about chemicals or eating a wholesome food  for better digestion - buy local

On 4/23/2021 at 10:54 PM, Max2 said:

Its basically when lines start to develop down them and this is supposedly when they have reached their max potency.   It can happen when they're green, red or brown, you just never know.

This a great tip and I will watch for that.  

On another note, my Chocolate Habanero have sprouted.