calling all pepper heads ...

BigStewMan

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

they artificially  control the ripening of fruits and vegetables   in  trucks with Ethylene control systems  --some suppliers use sulfur and nitrogen to increase shelf life in warehouses--- if you are concerned about chemicals or eating a wholesome food  for better digestion - buy local

Oh yea think everyone that did not think that way thirty years ago know that by now.

Mine that did ripen? They're red and impotent!

More heat before they turned red.. took them all down and put them in a bowl in the fridge.

A few photos of this years salsa garden. The tomato’s are doing well, with one plant taller than me (72”). I’ve got cherry for salads and snacks, Roma for sauce (gravy to you, @dirtmudd) Beefsteak foe sammies, and a few hybrids for presentation (black prince and Mr. Stripey)

Peppers are Cajun Belle, sweet bell, habanero and jalapeño. Me Gusta!

25314A53-0F0B-464A-B665-30B4D606989B.jpeg

61747CA9-A515-4E73-86A0-FEE765C1DB4B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JBCODD said:

A few photos of this years salsa garden. The tomato’s are doing well, with one plant taller than me (72”). I’ve got cherry for salads and snacks, Roma for sauce (gravy to you, @dirtmudd) Beefsteak foe sammies, and a few hybrids for presentation (black prince and Mr. Stripey)

Peppers are Cajun Belle, sweet bell, habanero and jalapeño. Me Gusta!

25314A53-0F0B-464A-B665-30B4D606989B.jpeg

61747CA9-A515-4E73-86A0-FEE765C1DB4B.jpeg

there's a local farmer here... that grows long hots and hot cherry peppers... That well rings your ears and give you the face sweats..

• Like 1

Anyone doing any fermenting with their peppers?  I did a big batch last year of the ghosts that I fermented for 30 days.  I am trying to like this new "layered" flavor, so to speak of the sauce, but I am just not digging it.  Its really earthy and a bit bitter.

• Moderators
On 4/29/2021 at 10:57 AM, Maccagirl83 said:

Ghost Pepper. Anyone who remembers my adventure at the Pilgrimage in 2015 knows what I am talking about.

Seriously though, good flavor, and now, I love them. 

Yes, watching you trying them is a part of the reason I will not it looked painful, and probably was. 

But you did it for a good reason, dad was probably smiling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max2 said:

Anyone doing any fermenting with their peppers?  I did a big batch last year of the ghosts that I fermented for 30 days.  I am trying to like this new "layered" flavor, so to speak of the sauce, but I am just not digging it.  Its really earthy and a bit bitter.

I tried it a couple years ago and think i used white wine to get them started.  It was unremarkable but probably due to my methodology. 

On 5/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, dtel said:

Yes, watching you trying them is a part of the reason I will not it looked painful, and probably was. 

But you did it for a good reason, dad was probably smiling.

I am sure he was. But, ever since then, if people ask me "is it hot" -they can't trust me. I enjoy the heat and the spice. So, at least I am enjoying more foods! Just don't ask me, it all tastes good and sane to me.

Ha.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 1:35 PM, jimjimbo said:

Transferring into permanent locations this weekend.  Finally warm enough at night.  Not ideal, but good enough.

I did mine as well, I had 2 that didn't look like they weren't going to make it.  After good rainfall yesterday they perked back up and are looking better than ever.  I only lost one that I think was way to young to plant out doors.  Luckily I left 2 inside for now hoping they will be ready here in the next month. 

Here we go:  They are all kind of finicky in my neck of the woods, so we'll see how they do this year.  Probably have the healthiest seedlings ever, so hope that's a sign of good things to come.

@oldtimer  @BigStewMan

White Moruga (new this year)

Padron

Lava Red (new this year)

Brain Strain (new this year)

Genghis Khan's Brain (new this year)

Yellow 7 Pot 

Yellow Reaper (new this year)

Death Spiral

Skunk Chocolate (new this year)

Orange Habanero

Thai Dragon (new this year)