Would I be able to sell my 1979 LaScalas?

audiojerry

It would have to be local (Milwaukee area.) I could even deliver to around a 100 mile radius using my old pickup.

They are vintage 1979, Type LS-BR, Serials 18T986 and 18T987, Tweeters are K-77, Mids are WK K-55-V, crossover Type AA.

The cabinets are in decent shape considering their age, but they do have various nicks, chips, and scratches.

After purchasing I replaced the old xovers with the Super AA Upgrade from ALK Engineering, and I later built the Dave Harris Eliptrac 400 wooden horn kit. I placed the wooden horn on top of the cabinet using the K-55 midrange driver on the Eliptrac, and kept the original metal horn inside cabinet. The sound improvement has been amazing.

So I'm wondering whether they would be sellable in the Milwaukee/Chicago/Madison area, and what would be a reasonable selling price.

Any thoughts? 

2.jpg

• Like 1

"IMO you would probably end up with more $ if you sold the upgrades separately from the stock LS units":

Thanks.     No additional advice?

OK, would these prices seem reasonable?

$1,200 for LS without the Eliptrac Horn, but with upgraded xover (ALKENG requires trade-in old for the upgrade xover) 

$1,600 for LS with Eliptrac - the cost of unassembled Eliptrac kit was $400.

$500 for assembled Eliptracs.   

I could ship the Eliptracs, but LS would have to be pickup or delivery within 100 or so miles.

1 hour ago, audiojerry said:

"IMO you would probably end up with more $ if you sold the upgrades separately from the stock LS units":

Thanks.     No additional advice?

OK, would these prices seem reasonable?

$1,200 for LS without the Eliptrac Horn, but with upgraded xover (ALKENG requires trade-in old for the upgrade xover) 

$1,600 for LS with Eliptrac - the cost of unassembled Eliptrac kit was $400.

$500 for assembled Eliptracs.   

I could ship the Eliptracs, but LS would have to be pickup or delivery within 100 or so miles.

--------you got a really nice pair of speakers -Beautiful condition  ------- so price is going to be higher -

1600k$ for the LS ---without the ALK AA  ---2k$ with a set of klipsch AA  --2500$ with the ALK AA

the ALK  AA  are very  prized   ,next to impossible to find  -----The ALK crossovers are backed up 1 year   -AL is very busy , Cost of crossover parts  and labor is through the roof , call AL and get the latest cost on the ALK AA --you can sell the AA  ALK for top dollar --a set set of klipsch AA sells for close to 300$ shipped -

-the  Eliptracs 600$ , they cost 400$ plus shipping , not counting paint and sanding - 

- GLWS

Thanks for everyone's input. 

I now know I'm not being unreasonable with the prices.  Because of their size and weight,  it would be a 2 man job with an appliance dolly to get them out of my basement listening room and onto a truck or large van. For this reason I think the prices are fair. In addition, I wouldn't have to consider the cost of creating shipping crates and delivery charges.

My preference would be to sell the speakers and the Eliptrac as a package. Honestly, I don't know why a buyer would not want both. The sound improvement with the wood Eliptrac is unbelievable. If the buyer already has his own midrange horn substitute or just prefers the original horn, he could sell the Eliptracs at a profit based on the advice I'm getting here.

And yes, I am using the midrange driver adaptors from Parts Express. The ALK crossovers are not the premium version. He is/was offering an AA replacement using the original xover board. That is why he required a trade-in of the original board, so my LS has to be sold that way.

I added the bass bin braces after seeing how others from the Klipsch Community did it. They definitely help solidify the bass response.  

As I thought about it I would probably have to require local pickup because I would need the buyer's help loading the speakers onto a vehicle. If the buyer didn't live too far away, I have a pickup I could use to deliver to the buyer's home and help unload there.

Why am I selling? I have been really thrilled with the performance of the LS, and am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity and the time to spend with these legendary speakers, but I am getting old and don't want to saddle my family with these beasts if I kick the bucket. Plus, I get restless and I want to get into building my own speakers.   

I will take some time to consider all this before moving ahead with a sale.   

• Like 3

I have said this before, and it bears repeating as history doesn’t change.

Whenever I have sold a pair of La Scalas more than half the interested parties tell me “I had La Scalas before and I wish I had never sold them.”

...I kept the LSI Splits...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

I have said this before, and it bears repeating as history doesn’t change.

Whenever I have sold a pair of La Scalas more than half the interested parties tell me “I had La Scalas before and I wish I had never sold them.”

...I kept the LSI Splits...

Your point is valid and well taken.  I have never owned or heard a speaker that can deliver such effortless, unlimited power and dynamics like the LS. And this is with a 35 wpc tube amp.  My wife owns a 7' concert grand, and the LS replicates that piano's impact when it plays crescendo.

I know I will miss them. I just hope I don't regret my decision.

• Like 1

You will regret selling them, but I think you know that already. 

Get this post into the GARAGE SALE forum, or else folks will be at liberty to critique your price and the components.

Your price seems reasonable and I am certain they will sell quickly

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2