Charcoal Smoker Rig

oldtimer

Suppose in the smoking world there are other examples of this but not aware.

Does a fan to assist with this reversal come into it would ask.

Or is this effect come from a design you are considering already, another, if we're to ask.

Passive or powered another.

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Suppose in the smoking world there are other examples of this but not aware.

Does a fan to assist with this reversal come into it would ask.

Or is this effect come from a design you are considering already, another, if we're to ask.

Passive or powered another.

WTH?

• Like 1

No fan necessary.  Smoke travels under a partition to the far side before getting to the meat side.  Direct heat into the chamber is avoided that way.  The chimney for the smoke is on the firebox side instead of on the opposite side.  It is a classic design.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It is a classic design.

Yes it is, when I built my first smoker I couldn't decide between reverse flow or tuning plates. I went with tuning plates only because I didn't have enough material to do the whole plate on the inside. It worked fine but always wondered if the reverse flow would have been better, I really liked that design.

I ended up selling it and building a smaller smoker that didn't use as much wood.

This is it so you can see why it was to big. 

Before sanding and paint. 

bbq,,..jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think they are even making the pellet feeders that can be added to DIY smokers. The cabinet smokers are nice also with the pellet feeders going in the bottom.

As far as what Oldtimer is looking for I never really looked them up. The only ones I have seen were at big box stores and those tended to leak alot of air and hard to control the temps because of that. But someone must make a nice one.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:09 PM, oldtimer said:

I am considering a new rig, and leaning towards a reverse draft model.  Any tips, hints or suggestions are welcome.  Budget is definitely south of say $800.  Thanks.

No pellets, electric or other nonsense, please---strictly charcoal.

For $800 and a little more you can get a med. sized Kamado Joe. Or, if you're lucky, you might find someone selling theirs. The KJ is an excellent system for bbq'ing or smoking, best I've ever used, don't think it can be beat, not at any price. I love mine, and retired both my Hasty Bake and LyfeTyme rigs. Hasty Bake is charcoal,  LyfeTyme is old style wood burning. For you, and for the price, Hasty Bake. You won't regret it, and it's a fine rig.

After leaving our old and decrepit Weber at the home we sold (dented, rusty, 2 1/2 legs) just bought a new Weber 22 inch Master

in Spring Green, a striking machine. Steaks and tenderloin so far but damn it do a good job. Great sear on each side, move away from coals and finish off. This one has a temp gauge, I never realized how hot these get. With just one coal basket it gets to 450-500 degrees.

A bit pricey for this model but no regrets - 

4 minutes ago, richieb said:

After leaving our old and decrepit Weber at the home we sold (dented, rusty, 2 1/2 legs) just bought a new Weber 22 inch Master

in Spring Green, a striking machine. Steaks and tenderloin so far but damn it do a good job. Great sear on each side, move away from coals and finish off. This one has a temp gauge, I never realized how hot these get. With just one coal basket it gets to 450-500 degrees.

A bit pricey for this model but no regrets - 

That's my go-to for sure. It came with the 2 charcoal trays that I set up on either side and cook chicken, pork, ribs etc indirect. A small smoke box provides the smoke. Flawless

A person can never have too many smokers (unless physical space is a problem).  I really enjoy using my large BGE which I plan on moving to an XL someday. I also enjoy my Green mountain for when I don't feel like putting much effort into the process(not that the BGE takes much either), I miss using my barrel smoker and off set.  I felt I got better brisket with the offset than any other smoker, but its hard to justify one for just brisket.  Sadly I usually use my Green Mountain for brisket, turns out great.  Anything can make a great smoker, just depends what your after.  Never used a Reverse Draft before, if a good recommendation can't be made, I say look for an original Oklahoma Joe. Not the ones made by Char Grill, the originals, as they weigh about 200lbs and hold heat very well.  

8 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

That's my go-to for sure. It came with the 2 charcoal trays that I set up on either side and cook chicken, pork, ribs etc indirect. A small smoke box provides the smoke. Flawless

I haven't done any smoking on my Weber 22 kettle (yet), only because I have a Weber Smoky Mountain and a DIY Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) (which works flawlessly).  For anyone that is interested, this website and associated links is an enormous source of information about smokers, grills, recipes, wood, etc, etc.  Most info is in the forums.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php

That's a great website for sure.  I've smoked on many different rigs, starting with the old Weber kettle, and you can get great results from many different devices, once you understand how they function best.  In the end, it always comes down to time, temperature and the smoke delivery system.  

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

That's a great website for sure.  I've smoked on many different rigs, starting with the old Weber kettle, and you can get great results from many different devices, once you understand how they function best.  In the end, it always comes down to time, temperature and the smoke delivery system.  

and quantity. The kettle has it's limitations in terms of that. It's not going to feed an army, especially if you're cooking indirect/smoking. 

6 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I haven't done any smoking on my Weber 22 kettle (yet), only because I have a Weber Smoky Mountain and a DIY Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) (which works flawlessly).  For anyone that is interested, this website and associated links is an enormous source of information about smokers, grills, recipes, wood, etc, etc.  Most info is in the forums.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php

Damn I hope I don't get tossed like I did in the banana forum....

23 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Damn I hope I don't get tossed like I did in the banana forum....

I'm right there with you on being able to make anything work.  But I want something with the capacity that a little one just can't do.  That's why I went from a CAB (cheap assed bullet) to a larger side draft unit.  A side draft actually has less space for smoking than listed because too close to the fire box is too hot to use.  A reverse draft I think solves that detail.  I am open to the egg suggestions as well, I know they work well, but capacity/dollar is a consideration.  It is all personal preference.  I have had good results with the cabinet style working with my brother, but it's not for me as a go to rig.  

• Like 1