Charcoal Smoker Rig

oldtimer

• Moderators
13 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

It's where I got all the info for both smokers I built, and where I go to find out how to cook something I haven't done in a long time.

I had joined once with a welding machine problem and was told what part I needed and they were right it was fixed, haven't been back in a long time. 

For anyone who cares, the MB Gravity 560 is just that, gravity fed. You put the charcoal in the hopper and it uses what is needed. What doesn't get burned up can be used next time. There is a fan to regulate temps and an app to raise/lower the temp and check the meat probes. You put wood chips mixed in with the charcoal in the hopper and in the ash pan. But what it does that most offset smokers can't do is get the temperature up to 700+ degrees to sear steaks.

Just an FYI

Shakey

10 minutes ago, USNRET said:

How does the gravity feed “gate” work? Any issue with clogs?
I currently use Weber charcoal and RecTeq Rt700 pellet.

No clogs. But sometimes you do get larger chunks of charcoal that fall through. Some people have modded it with an additional metal rod to prevent this. I don't worry about it.

I am going to repair and limp along my current side draft for now.  Upping the budget since I realize it's not enough for a quality reverse draft.  Gotta save some pennies, although I have the turntable money I could repurpose...Best deal I found is the smallest series from langbbqsmokers.com, might splurge on the hybrid 36 for the built in grill.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, oldtimer said:

.Best deal I found is the smallest series from langbbqsmokers.com, might splurge on the hybrid 36 for the built in grill.

Do you mean the Hybrid patio ?   Looks like a good price, only a few hundred more then the Original patio and much bigger.

Lang does have a good reputation, must be doing well, they say lead time is 90-120 days.

Does anyone in Texas make reverse flow ?  I do remember a few well respected companies in Texas when I was more into reading about that stuff. I just don't remember if any were reverse flow designs?

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 4/25/2021 at 1:09 PM, oldtimer said:

I am considering a new rig, and leaning towards a reverse draft model.  Any tips, hints or suggestions are welcome.  Budget is definitely south of say $800.  Thanks.

No pellets, electric or other nonsense, please---strictly charcoal.

Green Egg, but get the made in USA one Primo. Direct, indirect, will hold steady temp from 200 to 600 and everywhere in between. Pizza, brisket, ribs, steaks, fish, boston butt . . . . .

https://www.primogrill.com/

If you want a reverse flow look at "Lang".  

The Masterbuilt 560 would be my ticket.  I have a Camp Chef pellet grill which is excellent for just about every style of cooking.  The frustration is that I have tried just about every type of pellet and they just don't give up the smoke flavor of charcoal or stick burners.  But........That Masterbuilt has the same PID type of temperature control as a pellet grill, a fan, and uses charcoal.  I read reviews and tests that were done with it.  If I were buying today that would be my cooker.

The only issue with a reverse flow..............which would be my ultimate cooker really (here in Georgia everyone has those)..........is that they are a few hundred pounds, large, and I can't justify a professional cooker for occasional use (just wife and I) that will rust on my deck..........and that requires firewood............although that is what will ultimately make the best barbeque.

5 hours ago, mark1101 said:

they just don't give up the smoke flavor of charcoal or stick burners.

I wholeheartedly concur.

5 hours ago, mark1101 said:

can't justify a professional cooker

If you read previous posts you will see that I am pretty sold on Lang as of now.  More than occasional use for this Texan, and I often pitch in for some good sized gatherings.  I also want complete analog---no fans or electric hoppers.

On 4/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, oldtimer said:

I am open to the egg suggestions as well

Kamado style grill is what the BGE is.  Look at an UGD, other than more egg shaped and thicker walls, they cook close to the same.  I have not problem cooking at lower temps, but quantity is an issue, you have to get creative to fit 3-4 butts on a large.  If I am getting to that amount of butts for a big event, I resort to my easy bake over the Green Mountain.  You do a lot with the egg, especially extremely high temps for searing or cooking pizzas.