Charcoal Smoker Rig

oldtimer

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Nice, hadn't heard of them before.

There are many variations these days. 

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Materials and leakage are reported issues.  I looked pretty hard at that one.  It just seems wasteful to spend that much and still leave so much to be desired.  

I was told they are now made by Char Grill to be sold at big box stores.  The originals weigh twice as much and hold very well.  I would look for used one locally before ever considering purchasing a new one.  

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I I am pretty sold on Lang as of now.  More than occasional use for this Texan, and I often pitch in for some good sized gatherings.

the Hybrid patio is  expensive at 1st perhaps , but it will heat to the desirable temperature easily -and that makes all the difference when smoking -

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the Hybrid patio is  expensive at 1st perhaps

Na, I won't feel a thing, no problem at all helping Oldtimer spend his money. :lol:

Ok but really it is a nice unit, that would outlast the owner.

Turntables are overrated, and this thing will make a few pops and clicks as the wood is burning. :o

36-hybrid-original.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been happy with my Louisiana Grill 24" kamado. It was $600 at Costco last summer.

I've never had a smoker or smoked anything before to compare it with, but the spare ribs were delicious so I must have done something right.

Capture2.thumb.JPG.85efb06051c0bf498f0f64977ec83dc0.JPG1723384992_Capture1.thumb.JPG.8e6589b8eeaca1d69f765cf27858bf8c.JPG

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

As am I.  Big bucks for shipping unless you want to drive over to Georgia and pick up.

Do you have any idea what shipping would be?  I have thought of which would be more cost effective, renting a vehicle and picking it up or shipping.

33 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

If the fire in an egg requires more charcoal how do you add it?

Open the lid and add charcoal.  LMAO, sorry, couldn't help it.  I have a few friends that have them and for very long smokes, that may be required, but they are extremely efficient.  A simple charcoal chimney fired up about 20 minutes prior to adding would work fine, and an area to move the food over to add the new is pretty straight forward.  They are so well insulated and controlled that starting with the correct amount of fuel for the smoke is going to work in a lot of instances.  Just my .02 worth.

57 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Open the lid and add charcoal.  LMAO, sorry, couldn't help it.  I have a few friends that have them and for very long smokes, that may be required, but they are extremely efficient.  A simple charcoal chimney fired up about 20 minutes prior to adding would work fine, and an area to move the food over to add the new is pretty straight forward.  They are so well insulated and controlled that starting with the correct amount of fuel for the smoke is going to work in a lot of instances.  Just my .02 worth.

Every time I have looked at an egg in the store it looks like to me you have to take the food off and then the grate to add charcoal.  Is there some hinged grate option like a Weber ball has?

image.png.bc77adf62c8e8a5ada93156b656d190d.pngimage.png.3362ce79c3ed105c0c9e8fb3e2a6818b.png

Late to the party considering the price restriction but check out Yoder Smokers out of Hutchinson KS. I can only vouch for their pellet unit that my SIL has. It is built like a brick crap house and he loves it. I see there are a few dealers in the DFW area, the low priced unit at $1199. Might be worth a look if the locals have any to lay eyes on -  

13 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Every time I have looked at an egg in the store it looks like to me you have to take the food off and then the grate to add charcoal.  Is there some hinged grate option like a Weber ball has?

image.png.bc77adf62c8e8a5ada93156b656d190d.pngimage.png.3362ce79c3ed105c0c9e8fb3e2a6818b.png

I'm assuming the same thing, but never looked close enough to know the correct answer, but I'll ask a friend that owns one and confirm.  I know someone that is reading this has one and you would think they would have said something.  LOL

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Do you have any idea what shipping would be?  I have thought of which would be more cost effective, renting a vehicle and picking it up or shipping.

Here is the info I just received from Lang.  Shipping from their facility in Nahunta, GA to my home in the South Bend, IN area.  Approx 950 miles.

$500 Paid to the driver upon arrival or must be prepaid before unit ships. The driver will have the ability to unload and the unit is fully assembled, just needs to be seasoned for the first time. Lead time on all models/builds is running a solid 4-month lead time. Due to COVID these lead times can change. Thanks for Looking at Lang hope to serve you one up soon.

Lang Smoker Cookers
12300 US Highway 82 West,
PO Box 547
Nahunta, GA 31553
Phone- 1-800-462-4629 or 912-462-6146
info@langbbqsmokers.com
www.langbbqsmokers.com

14 hours ago, mark1101 said:

I've gone close to 12 hours without needing to add any wood.  That being said, the accessory you have pictured to the right allows for easy removal of the plate setter to add wood if necessary.  To answer your question, there is no secret door to add wood, yes you need to remove the food/grate/plate setter in order to add wood/charcoal.  But as I have mentioned, it rarely happens and isn't that complicated if needed.   I have cooked several times on one batch of wood, 2-3 times with one batch at high temps such as 600/700 degrees.   Very well insulated and very efficient. 

• Like 1

Well Jimbo, that is probably less expensive than renting a vehicle plus the associated expenses to do it yourself.  I looked up Nahunta on the map, it is almost to the Atlantic coast.  Richie, the Yoder's look nice, but they are not reverse draft and look harder to clean.  

• Like 1