Charcoal Smoker Rig

oldtimer

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Well Jimbo, that is probably less expensive than renting a vehicle plus the associated expenses to do it yourself.  I looked up Nahunta on the map, it is almost to the Atlantic coast.  Richie, the Yoder's look nice, but they are not reverse draft and look harder to clean.  

That's down near Brunswick. I'll get it to my house, you come here and get it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Well Jimbo, that is probably less expensive than renting a vehicle plus the associated expenses to do it yourself.  I looked up Nahunta on the map, it is almost to the Atlantic coast.  Richie, the Yoder's look nice, but they are not reverse draft and look harder to clean.  

My bad. I was under the impression offset and reverse flow are one in the same -  another day of hybrid learning. 

I love my Weber Smokey Mountain. Bought it thinking I would get something better in the future. After I received it I found that it’s all I really need. makes great Q. You guys that have smokers try some peach wood. Great on pork! I used it on a brisket and it turned out great also. Hickory and pecan are heavy hitters also.

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Would like to try peach wood sometime, but I never see it here. I am mostly using sugar maple these days which is just perfect in my estimation.

I also have trouble finding peach wood. I have gotten some at a local orchard. The last I received was from Fruita Wood online. A little pricy but the moisture content is a 15 percent which is great for smoking. A lot of comp teams use this wood so I’m sure it’s good enough for a guy like me. I do make some mean Q though, I must say.

• Moderators

Not a bad price on shipping really, just paid $350 to ship two doors.

Not much different in size from a smoker,  from Outside Atlanta to S Mississippi and I got a break for ordering 2 doors. We figured the cost of driving and one night in a hotel would have saved us less than $100. Didn't want to drive 12 -14 hours round trip in one shot.  

The wait time is the bad part, waited almost 5 weeks for the doors, everything is backed up these days.

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

Not a bad price on shipping really, just paid $350

you could  save even further with  Fedex Ground- or Fedex Air if you had a business account ( discounts )  , and if you only shipped with the carrier to increase your shipping Rate discounts  -

our Business discounts are way lower than the quotes we get from USHIP-UPS or even FEDEX   if we compare the rate with or without a Business Account  -