Charcoal Smoker Rig

oldtimer

• Moderators

Nice :emotion-21:

Get some wood drying, your going to love it.

There are alot of companies out there but Lang has had a solid reputation for many years as a well built easy to control smoker build to last.

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Nice :emotion-21:

Get some wood drying, your going to love it.

There are alot of companies out there but Lang has had a solid reputation for many years as a well built easy to control smoker build to last.

I got a bed full of red oak last week. 

• Like 1

@dtel  I got my wood here https://www.americanfirewood.net/gallery

It's about 30 minutes from where I work.  It's a fire wood factory.  Unbelievable.  I decided to go with only one type of wood to start till I figure the pit out.  Next time I'll get some different varieties as you can mix and match wood all for the same price as one type.

• Moderators

That's alot of wood in that building, it's handy to be that close. looks good.

Some that may be completely dry already but it will be good and dry by the time you get your smoker, you could probably cut a stick in half to build fires with ? You will not know until you try it out, a small hot fire does best to control the temps

Did you start with oak ? I usually use Oak with some Hickory, when I can get the Hickory, I'm stretching my last pile. I love the way the Hickory smells.

We only have wood burning heater inside so we keep stacks of oak and I just use that to smoke. When our wood guy can he brings some Hickory. 

Tried mesquite didn't care for the taste, pecan and most fruit woods seemed mild to me, plus when I already have a pile of oak it's convenient. 

29 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

You boys are making me hungry. Also, shame on all of you for influencing those of us (me) who are highly influencable. As soon as I sell my LaScalas for $4,500 I'm buying a 36" Hybrid Deluxe with (4) balloon tires.

I have a couple of GE 12 AX7s and a couple of Japanese 12 au7s that I could trade for your Scalas. Let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

That's alot of wood in that building, it's handy to be that close. looks good.

Some that may be completely dry already but it will be good and dry by the time you get your smoker, you could probably cut a stick in half to build fires with ? You will not know until you try it out, a small hot fire does best to control the temps

Did you start with oak ? I usually use Oak with some Hickory, when I can get the Hickory, I'm stretching my last pile. I love the way the Hickory smells.

We only have wood burning heater inside so we keep stacks of oak and I just use that to smoke. When our wood guy can he brings some Hickory. 

Tried mesquite didn't care for the taste, pecan and most fruit woods seemed mild to me, plus when I already have a pile of oak it's convenient. 

There's a meter you can buy thats 30 or 40 bucks that i'll pick up.   It will show you the moisture content of your wood.  I think ideally you want it around 20%.

1 hour ago, wstrickland1 said:

You boys are making me hungry. Also, shame on all of you for influencing those of us (me) who are highly influencable. As soon as I sell my LaScalas for $4,500 I'm buying a 36" Hybrid Deluxe with (4) balloon tires.

Y'all need to tell'em oldtimer sent you, maybe I can get a discount...

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

There's a meter you can buy thats 30 or 40 bucks that i'll pick up.   It will show you the moisture content of your wood.  I think ideally you want it around 20%.

I use leftover wood from winter before last and eventually get around to the wood we got before this past winter.

It stays out under the patio so I am wondering if humidity affects the wood ?  I guess it's possible to get below the average humidity, I would guess the moisture is from the sap and not humidity/rain ?

7 minutes ago, dtel said:

I use leftover wood from winter before last and eventually get around to the wood we got before this past winter.

It stays out under the patio so I am wondering if humidity affects the wood ?  I guess it's possible to get below the average humidity, I would guess the moisture is from the sap and not humidity/rain ?

Rain doesn't soak in too bad.  Direct sun really helps dry it out.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Rain doesn't soak in too bad.  Direct sun really helps dry it out.

The inside stack is the oldest wood and gets no sun but no rain and does get a good breeze. It easy to tell if the wood is really dry when you go to use it, if even slightly green or wet it smokes way to much unless you let the fire get way to hot which is not good.

80% of the inside stack is gone now between heating the house this winter and cooking. 

house (2).jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dtel said:

The inside stack is the oldest wood and gets no sun but no rain and does get a good breeze. It easy to tell if the wood is really dry when you go to use it, if even slightly green or wet it smokes way to much unless you let the fire get way to hot which is not good.

80% of the inside stack is gone now between heating the house this winter and cooking. 

Got one of mesquite and one of post oak.   then there's the misc. pile with apple and pecan.

Those Lang systems look an awful lot like Lyfe Tyme BBQ's, except for the reverse flow. There a lot pricier too.

• 3 weeks later...