“Cornscala” CS 500/5000 crossover schematic

geoff.

1 minute ago, geoff. said:

I have searched and cannot seem to locate a schematic for a Cornscala style network crossing at 500 and 5000 hz.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Is this a good cross over to use on the cornscala?   Was looking at Bob Crites xover.

3 minutes ago, LTusler said:

Yes, the way they are built, it would be easy to upgrade them.  I have an ad in for sale with a picture of them.

It is hard finding a pic of them.   I looked at ALK's AP-12 and AP-15 too, but he's taking no more orders til after July 1.

Ran into an issue with the cross overs from Crites.  They won’t sell me a complete pair because they did not engineer this pair I have. They do not do one offs.   No problem.  I’m now wondering if I could modify a B or 1 of the B cross overs to work in my CS.

• Like 1

So we meet again, lol.

What is it you currently have?

And what frequencies would you prefer it to cross at?

I also have some Cornwall B-3 crossovers I was hoping to repurpose. The boards with the terminal strip and autoformers are a good start.

2 minutes ago, geoff. said:

So we meet again, lol.

What is it you currently have?

And what frequencies would you prefer it to cross at?

I also have some Cornwall B-3 crossovers I was hoping to repurpose. The boards with the terminal strip and autoformers are a good start.

That’s what I was thinking.  I have cornscala with B&C De85 and DE120 and kappa 3015lf.  I’m thinking I may be able to use the Crites A/4500 network and maybe update the caps with something real nice.  Would be a good network to start with? I have no idea really to what cross points work best with my components.

That is a very capable complement of components.

I also have an A/4500, but can’t bring myself to embrace the notion of messing with something that does what it’s supposed too so well. If La Scalas are in your future you may want to hang on to them.

Is your DE85 8 or 16ohm? Some crossovers are specific about this.

Looks like 500hz is good. 

You can cross any where you want to the tweeter, likely somewhere between 5000 and 6000 would be good.

I’m thinking an ALK Cornscala-wall or Universal, whatever it’s called now, may be the way to go. For a couple of reasons.

I will have to revisit that.

And maybe just sell the spare crossovers...?

After more searching i now think the Crites A's may be the ticket with better caps.  Crites doesn't use the best of caps.  Jantzen or Jupitor may be the fix.  My DE85's are 8ohm.  Al doesn't use the best of caps in the CSW networks either, more economical for him to build.    I have a home built crossover in my SuperHeresy with Hovland Musicaps and that speaker really sparkles, very detailed.  I'm so impressed with the sound out of those little speakers.  Now i just have to get the CS the same way and i believe its in good high quality caps.   A member here let be use his DeanG universals in my CS awhile back and they were very detailed with those xovers.   The mid sounded perfect.   He is gonna let me use them again for a bit.  I may just make copies of them for myself this time.   Its about 600 bucks just for the components on those.  That is why i was looking at modding some Crites for now.    

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mopardave said:

After more searching i now think the Crites A's may be the ticket with better caps.  Crites doesn't use the best of caps.  Jantzen or Jupitor may be the fix.  My DE85's are 8ohm.  Al doesn't use the best of caps in the CSW networks either, more economical for him to build.    I have a home built crossover in my SuperHeresy with Hovland Musicaps and that speaker really sparkles, very detailed.  I'm so impressed with the sound out of those little speakers.  Now i just have to get the CS the same way and i believe its in good high quality caps.   A member here let be use his DeanG universals in my CS awhile back and they were very detailed with those xovers.   The mid sounded perfect.   He is gonna let me use them again for a bit.  I may just make copies of them for myself this time.   Its about 600 bucks just for the components on those.  That is why i was looking at modding some Crites for now.    

klipsch have entered the game with OEM capacitors that sound great in klipsch original crossovers ,  these sell through @JEM Performance   , they may not be fancy caps , but the sound is pure Klipsch - wouldn't be something if these inexpensive caps would sound amazing ?  in your crossovers

57 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

klipsch have entered the game with OEM capacitors that sound great in klipsch original crossovers ,  these sell through @JEM Performance   , they may not be fancy caps , but the sound is pure Klipsch - wouldn't be something if these inexpensive caps would sound amazing ?  in your crossovers

Anything is possible.

I have the DeanG universals wired and they sound very nice.  These networks are the answer.   I have the mids attenuated at 10db and i think maybe 9 or 8db might be a bit better. I have the tweets attenuated at 3db.   The DE85 have a sensitivity of 108db and the DE120 106db, the Kappa 3015lf 96db.   Thought i would start off hot on the mid, but i think it could use just a bit more output.

IMG_0934.JPG

• Like 1

@mopardave   I see above the driver compliment you used on your Cornscalas but what did you use for the horn on the mid?  Is that B&C driver a larger format mid in comparison to an A-55G?  I'm contemplating taking my Belle clones apart and building a set of Cornwall sized cabinets since I'd already have the drivers done; I'd just need a larger mid horn.  That or I'm just going to sell them or part them out as they are and buy a local set of Epic CF-3's v1's in Satin Black and call it good.