“Cornscala” CS 500/5000 crossover schematic

geoff.

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

@mopardave   I see above the driver compliment you used on your Cornscalas but what did you use for the horn on the mid?  Is that B&C driver a larger format mid in comparison to an A-55G?  I'm contemplating taking my Belle clones apart and building a set of Cornwall sized cabinets since I'd already have the drivers done; I'd just need a larger mid horn.  That or I'm just going to sell them or part them out as they are and buy a local set of Epic CF-3's v1's in Satin Black and call it good.

The B&C DE85 is the driver on the mid horn.

36 minutes ago, mopardave said:

The B&C DE85 is the driver on the mid horn.

When I google that model, all it shows is the actual screw on driver and not a driver/horn combo.  It does mention an ME75 horn for it on the webpage.  I wonder why they don't show the combo.  Hmm.  Any idea of the horn dimensions?

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

When I google that model, all it shows is the actual screw on driver and not a driver/horn combo.  It does mention an ME75 horn for it on the webpage.  I wonder why they don't show the combo.  Hmm.  Any idea of the horn dimensions?

Same size as the Crites/JBL horn.   The De85 has been discontinued.  I think the DE95 took its place but not sure.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:47 PM, mopardave said:

I have the DeanG universals wired and they sound very nice.  These networks are the answer.   I have the mids attenuated at 10db and i think maybe 9 or 8db might be a bit better. I have the tweets attenuated at 3db.   The DE85 have a sensitivity of 108db and the DE120 106db, the Kappa 3015lf 96db.   Thought i would start off hot on the mid, but i think it could use just a bit more output.

IMG_0934.JPG

I'm now at 8db attenuation on mid and 0db on tweet.   Sounds really good and more balanced between the components. I'm getting real close at this point.   I just might try 6db on the mid, that would put the mid quite a bit hotter than the woofer, about 6db hotter that the woofer.

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

Dave, you wouldn’t happen to have the schematic for these would you?

I tried 6db on the mid and it was too much for me in this little office.   I then switched to 7db attenuation and bingo. Think i nailed it.  Man, these Cornscala's are really shining now.  I believe thats the best i'm gonna get.  This 7db setting sets the mid horn 5db hotter than the woofer.  You mentioned in an old post that 5db hotter may be the answer and you were correct Geoff.  I'm listening at 75-80db and i'm really liking this.   I do have the Dia.  The main in and Biamp in are labeled backwards just to let you know. 1184532406_DeanGuniversal.thumb.jpg.409c0a0d549b7400d7691322438a017d.jpg

• Like 2

I’m reading some things that don’t make sense to me - or maybe I’m just misunderstanding?

That network has no attenuation for the tweeter. It was built for a set of Klipschorns. The only thing you can attenuate is the midrange.

0, -1, and -2 are input taps. You subtract this value from the number on the output tap to get your attenuation level.

With room gain, the bass is close to 100dB. To know what the midrange is doing you have to know the actual output level on a given horn. The gain changes depending on the horn you’re using. If you aren’t measuring, then you have a rough approximation, and that’s it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deang said:

I’m reading some things that don’t make sense to me - or maybe I’m just misunderstanding?

That network has no attenuation for the tweeter. It was built for a set of Klipschorns. The only thing you can attenuate is the midrange.

0, -1, and -2 are input taps. You subtract this value from the number on the output tap to get your attenuation level.

With room gain, the bass is close to 100dB. To know what the midrange is doing you have to know the actual output level on a given horn. The gain changes depending on the horn you’re using. If you aren’t measuring, then you have a rough approximation, and that’s it. 

I don't believe your misunderstanding anything Dean.   These were build for Klipschorns, but there sounding pretty darn good on my cornscala's.  I have the tweeter attenuators from ALK wired in, but they are set at 0, they sound best there, so they could be removed.   Yes, i understand how to set the taps for attenuation, but i am not measuring with any equipment. I'm using my ear only and i'm very happy with the sound.   Using the the big rectangular 17x10 horn with the 2" mouth. I think its called a zxpc horn or something like that.

zxpc horn.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deang said:

Nice. I’m sure that sounds pretty good. 

Hey, make sure those resistors aren’t touching the caps.

I will check that Dean.   I am getting plenty of bass, no issue there. I believe they cross 400/6000, is that correct?  Using the Kappa 3015LF woofers.   Very nice cross overs, i'm very impressed.

• 1 month later...