Why did Klipsch change Klipschorns 6,000 to 4,500 hz?

JDJohnson

As the can of worms opens B) ...the K401/K 55 (whatever) combo begins to have issues at the outer edge of the top range, and the reduced crossover fixes that to an extent. Also, IIRC, the K-77 as last updated (the Philippine version?) was more robust mechanically that the original ElectroVoice T-35/K-77s.

The Khorn midrange transition has been discussed many times here and no doubt our pals will chime in shortly. 

• Like 1

IIRC --- and this is memory retrieval from some 35 years ago, so may not be accurate --- there was a dip at the top of the K55/K400 range.  About 1980/1982 that was temporarily fixed by altering the phase plug in the K55.  That alteration was short lived.  Lowering the range of the K77 down to 4,500Hz took the K55 dip out of the picture.  EV had originally designed the T35 (K77s were selected, tested versions of the T35) to function down to 3,500Hz in their own speaker systems, with no problem.  PWK originally used a 6 dB/ octave slope in the balancing network, and EV used a 12 dB/octave slope.  In the 4,500 Hz version, Klipsch used a  36 dB/octave slope (!) to protect the tweeter.  I think this started with the AK4 network.  It sounds great.

I hope I remembered all of this correctly!  Others please chime in!

• Like 1

garyrc, That sounds very reasonable to me and it goes along the lines of my guess in my thread about the timeline of the K55V versions...until the end of the AA crossover when the K55V was discontinued.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

I think this started with the AK4 network.  It sounds great.

Gary ---this is correct the AK4 -AL4  xovers have the 4500hz crossover point , and a  steeper slope than prior models-

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KT88 said:

garyrc, That sounds very reasonable to me and it goes along the lines of my guess in my thread about the timeline of the K55V versions...until the end of the AA crossover when the K55V was discontinued.

nope the replacement of the AA was the AK and the crossover point was 6000Hz -

-The k55V--ATLAS  driver  was never discontinued by ATLAS  although  klipsch ceased to  use it from 83 to 2001-----and from 2001 to this day , klipsch uses the K55V with a designation k55X,

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies.

I remember reading here there was a problem with the K55V/K400 going up to 6,000 Hz and I thought the K77 also had some problems going down to 6,000 Hz with how the crossovers were designed, so I wasn’t sure if Klipsch changed the crossovers and the K77 to solve the problem of only the K55V/K400 by crossing it at 4,500 Hz, or maybe the problem with the K77 too by replacing it with another that can go down to 4,500 Hz.