Bottom of Klipsch Quartet speaker cabinet damaged, advice requested

PieterH

Hello all, 

I've acquired my Klipsch Quartet speakers half a year ago and I'm more than happy with them, they sound great on my Marantz 2235. I would like to restore the speaker cabinets to it's original glory, but I have a question.

In the attached pictures you can see the bottom wood of the cabinet has expanded on the front. Both speakers have unfortunately this issue. 

I would like to send my speakers in the upcoming few months to a woodshop to replace the veneer. I'm hoping if someone can advise me on if I have to replace the whole bottom plate of the cabinets or that I can fix this with a filler and new veneer on top. Since I'm no expert I'm afraid that if I only use filler on the cabinet to solve this, the cabinet might be compromised for optimal sound?

My goal is to keep these speakers for a very long time (next week I will receive new crossovers and tweeters) and buy speaker stands, so I do not mind to invest in getting them in good shape. 

Does anyone have a recommendation on whether I should fix this only visually or that I should change the bottom plate completely?

Best regards, 
Pieter
IMG_20210426_1650040.jpg.a0331b3ab58b4a307850e91e4bb5ba56.jpgIMG_20210426_1650299.jpg.8b1048f590aa4c1a2cccae31a5604a28.jpg

Place a straight edge against the front baffle. It looks like the lower edge of the baffle is bowed inward.

You might be able to fill the gap with wood putty or bondo, but I don't think you'll see a smooth transition from the bondo to the wood after sanding and painting. I'd also be worried about the grilles fitting after the work is done.

I'd suggest leaving it as-is, removing the drivers and flowing some glue into the joint from the inside of the cabinet. Once the grille is on I expect you won't notice the imperfection, and I doubt that flaw will hamper the application of veneer.

I bought a used a pair of Quartets with water damage on the top of one so bad it rippled the veneer and the wood beneath it. I left it as-is.

Hello Peter, 

I checked the baffle again with a straight edge, but it seems straight to me. It's the lower piece of veneer that is bent/bulging slightly outward. Thanks for your advice, I will leave it like this and hopefully we can fix it with a touch up instead of replacing the bottom part and add the extra glue like you recommended.

When I have figured out what the 'best' design is for some 12"-13" risers (that have to block vibrations to the ground for my neighbors), I will bring the Quartets to a woodshop to have them veneered and hopefully get some matching risers too.