My first K-horns

Fast996

I just purchased a pair of '89 K-horns from the original owner.

I have always wanted a pair since I listened to them when I was in high school.

They are "KB WO HF"....and I'd say about 8.5/10 in very nice matching oiled walnut.

I mainly am interested in the crossovers as I usually upgrade the caps....

Btw the pricing seems to be all over the place....the seller started at 6k 

i paid 4.5k.....they were local so probably my only chance to get a pair

thanks

p.s these look different than the newer ones and real early editions.

Since I could not have bought new ones and had to pretty much take what was available

how are these '89 ones compared to the others. 

159865248_10219964297322077_6634215147457656853_n (1).jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Budman said:

congrats on your k-horns

are you saying there is no cloth on the sides at all

finished sides had to be done by the previous owner and not factory

They have cloth on the sides. Just looking at new ones,they seem a little different than these. maybe not.

52 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

I just purchased a pair of '89 K-horns from the original owner.

how are these '89 ones compared to the others. these have finished sides and not cloth.

you could enclose the back of the speakers if you are handy enough -----  the 70'th Khorn  had  the cleaner look  of  closed backs ,it  makes the speaker heavier , but it improves on the bass -    here's the enclosed khorn  side by side  with your 89 khorn  -

Klipschorn 70th Anniversary Edition | KlipschKlipschorn Floorstanding Speakers | Klipsch

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Budman said:

new ones have cloth on the sides but the rest is enclosed with wood so you don't really need them tight in the corners

your 89's should come with a rubber seal on the tailboard to fit nicely into the corners

like these 87's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333745387305?hash=item4db4c67729:g:qsMAAOSwBUlffKoZ

Thanks....mine are a little cleaner...thank god. I noticed the crossover is a "AK2"...same as my '89? and how do they sound?

Sorry for all the questions....just trying to get up to speed on these speakers.

7 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

you could enclose the back of the speakers if you are handy enough -----  the 70'th Khorn  had  the cleaner look  of  closed backs ,it  makes the speaker heavier , but it improves on the bass -    here's the enclosed khorn  side by side  with your 89 khorn  -

Klipschorn 70th Anniversary Edition | KlipschKlipschorn Floorstanding Speakers | Klipsch

So the newer one have better bass....hmmm. Seems like that would not be the case as the original design used the corner to increase the size of the folded horn, but what do i know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

So the newer one have better bass....hmmm. Seems like that would not be the case as the original design used the corner to increase the size of the folded horn, but what do i know.

you could read this thread

click right here ▶️ -    Posted January 21, 2013

Yes, Klipschorns with backs and Jubilees need the corners. With the Klipschorn, the walls are needed to finish the LF horn, which doesn't apply to the Jubilee. However, both speakers need corner loading to get all of that last half octave. Roy says the Jubilee needs be within 12 inches or closer to get the correct LF behavior, and I would imagine the same would apply to a Klipschorn with the rear section enclosed -- which increases the rigidity of the cabinet and sounds much better to me. The bass takes on a punchy LaScala quality -- except with balls.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

Don’t believe things that you might read on this forum from certain people. The new K horns do not have “better bass”.  It is simply somewhat different from the previous models. Not to mention it has new drivers, new crossovers, etc., etc. Lots of bullshit already in this thread.  Enjoy your new speakers, you made a great choice!

• Like 1

The man with the most posts wins....I'll take this under advisement. wink wink....I think your right.

When I first read about the AK6 my first thought was a way for the Klipsch engineers to redesign the speaker for more usability in any room.

Not necessarily any 'real improvement in paul's original khorn design. ;) 

Pardon my ignorance about Khorns...but I've been doing some reading on the web and came across this blurb....

It is well known (by everyone except Klipsch engineers apparently) that the Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch and La Scala all use the same undersized mid horn that doesn’t match well with the woofer. They switched from exponential horns to Tractrix (something Klipsch itself uses in newer designs) and use a very good BMS driver (big improvement over the Klipsch mid). The folded bass horn is of course straight up Klipsch but why mess with success (one of my favorite all time speakers, the JBL Hartsfield also uses a folded front loaded horn).

So is this opinion valid about the midrange or not accurate?

15 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

Pardon my ignorance about Khorns...but I've been doing some reading on the web and came across this blurb....

It is well known (by everyone except Klipsch engineers apparently) that the Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch and La Scala all use the same undersized mid horn that doesn’t match well with the woofer. They switched from exponential horns to Tractrix (something Klipsch itself uses in newer designs) and use a very good BMS driver (big improvement over the Klipsch mid). The folded bass horn is of course straight up Klipsch but why mess with success (one of my favorite all time speakers, the JBL Hartsfield also uses a folded front loaded horn).

So is this opinion valid about the midrange or not accurate?

Not accurate.  Khorn and LS share the same mid horn.  The Belle is unique and has a smaller horn.

By everyone  except Klipsch engineers.......really?    I wouldn't use that particular source for info in the future.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Not accurate.  Khorn and LS share the same mid horn.  The Belle is unique and has a smaller horn.

By everyone  except Klipsch engineers.......really?    I wouldn't use that particular source for info in the future.

LOl.....thanks Jim

• Like 2