My first K-horns

Fast996

5 hours ago, Wirrunna said:

200v caps will be fine, but what kind of Arizona caps are they ? Paper & Foil ? Polyester, Metalized etc.

Blue Cactus ....double layer kraft+mylar dielectric and high purity mineral oil impregnation

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

So I take it...the answer is use approved items or you could muck up the sound.

I've been in audio since junior high....in my 60's now....and this reminds me of the Mcintosh opinion by many. No offense but I like to experiment

and voice any 2nd hand equipment or speakers i buy....especially the Klipsch....because you either love them or hate 'em.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fast996 said:

So I take it...the answer is use approved

it's a bit more complicated than that   ------it took over 20 years to convince klipsch to sell their OEM caps to forum members --and we are very lucky to even have access to these parts ---you wanna use other parts , go right ahead , others have tried for the past 20 years -

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

it's a bit more complicated than that   ------it took over 20 years to convince klipsch to sell their OEM caps to forum members --and we are very lucky to even have access to these parts ---you wanna use other parts , go right ahead , others have tried for the past 20 years -

Baloney. Pimento cheese.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, Fast996 said:

Pardon my ignorance about Khorns...but I've been doing some reading on the web and came across this blurb....

It is well known (by everyone except Klipsch engineers apparently) that the Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch and La Scala all use the same undersized mid horn that doesn’t match well with the woofer. They switched from exponential horns to Tractrix (something Klipsch itself uses in newer designs) and use a very good BMS driver (big improvement over the Klipsch mid). The folded bass horn is of course straight up Klipsch but why mess with success (one of my favorite all time speakers, the JBL Hartsfield also uses a folded front loaded horn).

So is this opinion valid about the midrange or not accurate?

Completely inaccurate.  Perhaps a version of the Jubilee used a BMS driver, but the Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch and La Scala didn't/don't (save maybe the newest tweeter).  The Klipschorn and La Scala do use the same squawker horn, but it is far from undersized with a 240 Hz cut-off. 

On 4/27/2021 at 4:40 PM, Fast996 said:

How a  bought upgraded AK2 crossovers? Any consensus? Crites...ALK...North Reading or others. Thanks

Any of the crossovers after the Type AK is a good crossover.  Any xover over 30 years old would benefit from new, high quality film and foil capacitors.  Don't read too much into "approved items".  We've been using high quality parts and getting commensurate results for many years. 

Stick with xover designs made to work with your K-55-M squawker.  There is a small difference in output over the older K-55-V, but enough to through off the midrange balance if you use an older A or AA (my preference) xover.  There are ways to adjust an AA, but then you're into a lot of testing. 

On 5/1/2021 at 10:29 PM, Fast996 said:

I was reading about going from the AK2 crossover to the Ak3 configuration. I have some leftover Arizona capacitor 2uf 200vdc...question,is it safe to use the 200 v caps in the mid range position?

2021-04-29_10-06-05.png

Yes. 

I have never seen this video. What a great piece of history. This video was filmed in June of 1989 and my Klipschorns were made in April 1989. Just wonderful to see all the employees that

made my Klipschorms.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hoo-ray.....:D

I finally have them hooked up in my Bedroom....rock on. I haven't heard a live pair in probably 50 years. Bright and horny... no way...smooth as a baby's butt. Dynamic? very much so. I love the immediacy and fullness. These must be very room dependent. Mine are 1989 WO AK-2's and very open and produce a wonderful wall of sound. A great midrange...female voice is wonderful. Highs have realism and very open. The bass is the best part...powerful and is a force that I love. Overall great clarity. I'm glad I took the plunge...if you have a room that these horns are designed for I can't think of a better used speaker value.
p.s. my corners are 16 feet a part and the room goes back about 20 feet.
right now powered by my Marantz 4400 with a Panasonic blue ray player.

20210627_154809.jpg

• Like 2