Upgrade Suggestions

Joey717

Hello all,

So I have been slowly upgrading my system, and now that my room will be more of a conventional setup allowing a true 7.1 I wanted to see where I should upgrade (if at all) so I am looking for suggestions.

Currently I am running

Denon AVR-1911

Front L\R - R-620F

Center - R-34-C

Surround and Rears - Quintet III

I feel like the Quintet speakers are a little tinny sounding at times, so I wanted to upgrade them, however I can only do it in pairs.

So I was wondering A) which would be best to upgrade first (surrounds, or rears) and then B) what suggestion on speakers.

Also I plan to eventually upgrade the Denon to something that can handle Atmos and Front heights.

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey717 said:

So I was wondering A) which would be best to upgrade first (surrounds, or rears) and then B) what suggestion on speakers.

A) I would replace the Surrounds first... they usually get more information in my experience. Then later you can upgrade the rear surrounds.

B. This would depend on your budget. If you are planning on eventually upgrading to Dolby Atmos, then I'd suggest going with one of the bookshelf speaker models in the reference range.

I hope this helps.

Brendon

• Like 3

On 4/27/2021 at 12:14 PM, inMotionGraphics said:

A) I would replace the Surrounds first... they usually get more information in my experience. Then later you can upgrade the rear surrounds.

B. This would depend on your budget. If you are planning on eventually upgrading to Dolby Atmos, then I'd suggest going with one of the bookshelf speaker models in the reference range.

I hope this helps.

Brendon

This is perfect, thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed the R-41M are on sale and have a key hole in the back of them.

Is the sale at the moment better than what would usually come around black Friday or is it about the same @ the $172

Also would using the key hole to mount to a wall affect the rear firing port?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joey717 said:

Is the sale at the moment better than what would usually come around black Friday or is it about the same @ the $172

I'm afraid I can't help you with pricing questions, as I don't live in the US, and am not familiar with US pricing etc...

14 hours ago, Joey717 said:

Also would using the key hole to mount to a wall affect the rear firing port?

Yes, it would, but I think the issue is negligible on surround and rear surround speakers, since they are mostly used for effects and ambiance etc. You'll also be crossing them over at around 80Hz, so you aren't depending on them to produce a lot of low frequency extension etc. For what it's worth, I've got my surrounds and rear surrounds mounted on the walls using the key holes. I just used very long screws to give them a bit of a downward tilt. I'm sure mounting them on adjustable mounts would be the better way of doing it, but not worth it in my opinion at the reference range of speaker models. If I upgraded my surround channels to RP-600's though, I'd probably be looking at some kind of mounting system to ensure I get the most out of those speakers... 🙂

• Thanks 1