How about Dayton PA310-8 ?

Tinnitus

Sorry, text didn't get included. I recently replaced K22s with Dayton PA310-8 in a pair of Heresys. Although the appearance is not period correct, to my ears they are an improvement over the K22s in bottom end. Has anyone else used these? What are your thoughts?

On 4/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, Tinnitus said:

Sorry, text didn't get included. I recently replaced K22s with Dayton PA310-8 in a pair of Heresys. Although the appearance is not period correct, to my ears they are an improvement over the K22s in bottom end. Has anyone else used these? What are your thoughts?

Read all about it here -

On 4/28/2021 at 12:27 AM, Tinnitus said:

Not in a Heresy, but I'm using 4 of them with a tractrix horn and the latest compression driver technology. 

I did model them in my Super Heresy and they will work just fine with the same port AND without having to unsolder/resolder/change the Autoformer Taps, so it's a no brainer with great results, but you still have to port it and refresh the capacitors if they are original factory (40 years old).

also, try shorting out the Woofer Inductor to see if you prefer the sound. You can run a wire with a switch through the port to take the inductor in and out of the circuit. You may prefer it this way. Salt to taste!

Thank you all for the information. I had read only a couple favorable reviews of these as a drop in replacement for a K22 in Heresys. At only about $72 each from PE, I gave them a try. No, I did  not add a port (but not ruling that out), or use any equipment other than my ears to test them. I installed one at a time and did an A/B comparison and I noticed an improvement across the spectrum. I’m reluctant to recommend, as sonic tastes are subjective, but I found them to be a noticeable improvement for little money.

• 3 months later...

Been lurking for a while and I hope I can add something back to the community - I've recently installed/ported the Dayton PA310-8 in Heresys. The snag is I have Heresy 2's.

Searching for more bottom end I replaced the K24's with Crites woofers and that made some improvement in bass but not enough (for my tastes/room). Recently swapped in PA310's and followed Claude's guidance on porting, etc. As predicted the mid/lower bass is both extended and more forceful while avoiding one-note/thumpy effects - it's clean and fast. The mids (esp. female vocals) are much better, too. The overall sound is good top to bottom. Well worth the effort for H2's.

This is a pure guess but I think it may work the same in the H1's since you like their sound without porting. YMMV, etc.

One caveat for stock H2's - the 2.5mH/68uf low pass filter sounds a bit thin in the lower male vocal range (for my tastes 😉) so I 'm thinking of trying a smaller cap to raise the freq up from 386Hz to maybe 430-450Hz. I'm holding off until the drivers run-in a bit more before I make the final call since it might open up the upper bass as the suspension loosens up. You probably won't have this issue with the H1 xover but just in case...

Pete

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 3:52 PM, Pete Fowler said:

Been lurking for a while and I hope I can add something back to the community - I've recently installed/ported the Dayton PA310-8 in Heresys. The snag is I have Heresy 2's.

Searching for more bottom end I replaced the K24's with Crites woofers and that made some improvement in bass but not enough (for my tastes/room). Recently swapped in PA310's and followed Claude's guidance on porting, etc. As predicted the mid/lower bass is both extended and more forceful while avoiding one-note/thumpy effects - it's clean and fast. The mids (esp. female vocals) are much better, too. The overall sound is good top to bottom. Well worth the effort for H2's.

This is a pure guess but I think it may work the same in the H1's since you like their sound without porting. YMMV, etc.

One caveat for stock H2's - the 2.5mH/68uf low pass filter sounds a bit thin in the lower male vocal range (for my tastes 😉) so I 'm thinking of trying a smaller cap to raise the freq up from 386Hz to maybe 430-450Hz. I'm holding off until the drivers run-in a bit more before I make the final call since it might open up the upper bass as the suspension loosens up. You probably won't have this issue with the H1 xover but just in case...

Pete

Hi Pete, did you try to drop the cap for the woofer? 

10 minutes ago, Jdwtx85 said:

Hi Jd,

Yes, dropped the cap and shrunk the inductor because despite the name the K53's '700' horn doesn't go anywhere near 700Hz. It's more like an 850Hz horn. So I ended up with a 1.2mH inductor crossing at 925Hz which blends really well with the K53K. I also had to add a zobel network for the woofer because the big voice coil has a ton of inductance and the rising impedance messed with the xover response. I was getting bleed through into the 4kHz range without it. Pretty interesting stuff once I figured out what was going on. 🙂 The final tweak was to extend the port length to 6" which is a nice compromise between extended low bass and a slight loss of detail in the 80-120Hz range. To my ears an acoustic bass sounds still sounds tight and right but you can really hear/feel the bottom end now.

All in all a worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers,

Pete

15 hours ago, Pete Fowler said:

Hi Jd,

Yes, dropped the cap and shrunk the inductor because despite the name the K53's '700' horn doesn't go anywhere near 700Hz. It's more like an 850Hz horn. So I ended up with a 1.2mH inductor crossing at 925Hz which blends really well with the K53K. I also had to add a zobel network for the woofer because the big voice coil has a ton of inductance and the rising impedance messed with the xover response. I was getting bleed through into the 4kHz range without it. Pretty interesting stuff once I figured out what was going on. 🙂 The final tweak was to extend the port length to 6" which is a nice compromise between extended low bass and a slight loss of detail in the 80-120Hz range. To my ears an acoustic bass sounds still sounds tight and right but you can really hear/feel the bottom end now.

All in all a worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers,

Pete

Pete, that sounds awesome. I'd like to talk to you more about that.  I'm newer to the forum and it would let me send private msgs. I'm in San Antonio I think your in Austin. Can you email me Jdwtx85@gmail.com.

16 hours ago, Jdwtx85 said:

the ideal replacement woofer for the H II  is the K-28-E  that is used in the Heresy 3-4  , the woofer is an improvement with bass while not affecting the detail , it's also a drop-in with 0 modifications required to the crossover ,  klipsch even has a kit that transforms the H II into the H III , that kit also includes the K-28-E 4 Ohms woofer .

16 minutes ago, RandyH said:

the ideal replacement woofer for the H II  is the K-28-E  that is used in the Heresy 3-4  , the woofer is an improvement with bass while not affecting the detail , it's also a drop-in with 0 modifications required to the crossover ,  klipsch even has a kit that transforms the H II into the H III , that kit also includes the K-28-E 4 Ohms woofer .

Back in December I reached out to support with pics of my speakers and serial #s then they stopped responding. I'd like k28s but I dont know how to get them!

1 minute ago, Jdwtx85 said:

Back in December I reached out to support with pics of my speakers and serial #s then they stopped responding. I'd like k28s but I dont know how to get them!

call these guys ,https://reconingspeakers.com/

they are Klipsch Authorized , they can  check the klipsch  inventory , the k-28-E is used in many klipsch speakers

Good point Randy - I guess it all depends on what a person is trying to accomplish. I was trying to duplicate the results Claude achieved with the K-42.

Reviews made me think the K-28 still leaves the speaker overall bass-light (even ported in the H4). It also doesn't blend significantly better with the squawker (speed-wise). Big magnet drivers like the K-42 or the Dayton are a better match for the squawker dynamics although in the case of the Dayton some xover work is needed as mentioned above. When ported they also put out serious clean bass (which occasionally makes me giggle 🙂).

As a drop-in upgrade the K-28 is much better and will give reliable results (although I think the H4 has some xover changes?). Either way it's a hoot to hear the results so a win-win no matter which approach..

Thanks,

Pete

24 minutes ago, Jdwtx85 said:

Interesting - I had the same experience while looking for a replacement diaphragm for my K-53. Automated first response, automated 'please be patient' email, then nothing. Perhaps they're backlogged and we'll hear in a few weeks?

15 minutes ago, Pete Fowler said:

Good point Randy - I guess it all depends on what a person is trying to accomplish. I was trying to duplicate the results Claude achieved with the K-42.

Reviews made me think the K-28 still leaves the speaker overall bass-light

I purchased a pair  of K28-K  WOW was my initial reaction  , the bass is more prominent than a K-22 or K-24  , the cone is much stiffer , 

I also own some K42 cast woofers made by Eminence , they are Heaaavy  , only difference is the higher power handling .

Just now, RandyH said:

I purchased a pair  of K28-K  WOW was my initial reaction  , the bass is more prominent than a K-22 or K-24  , the cone is much stiffer , 

I also own some K42 cast woofers made by Eminence , they are Heaaavy  , only difference is the higher power handling .

Randy, It's documented many time here on the forum. You now introduced a 4ohm woofer in place of a 8ohm woofer. So now the output of the woofer is +3db louder than before, look it up!

15 minutes ago, Jdwtx85 said:

Randy, It's documented many time here on the forum. You now introduced a 4ohm woofer in place of a 8ohm woofer. So now the output of the woofer is +3db louder than before, look it up!

no need to look it up , I can vouch for the K-28 to replace the K-22  ,   this was an old trick I learned from @Daddy Dee  on the klipsch Forum .

31 minutes ago, Jdwtx85 said:

Ah ok, so you do understand the woofer will be louder?

Reason many claim more boom/bass

the K22 was not a true 8 Ohms woofer  , the H1 in 1983-84 used the K-24 rather the K-22  , with 0  changes to the crossover , so swapping the k-28 was naturally done by other forum members.

and I quote from klipsch -

" 1983-1984: The K-24 woofer is substituted for the K-22, and during the last production of the Heresy-I,"   , plus dont forget that the  earlier H II came out with 8 Ohms round cups instead of  4 Ohms round cups .