Looking for a Stamped Steel K-43 woofer.

twistedcrankcammer

Off topic here, are these substantially better sounding compared to K33 for midrange? Is the bass that much different? My mid-80s home lascalas came with K43. I left them in there. I did pick up a pair of K33s from here, that I might try swapping in some day. I haven't been in a big hurry, there are sooo many screws on the bottom plates and it's generally a pain for me at least. Thanks, good luck to OP! Looks like he found what he needed. 👍

14 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

Off topic here, are these substantially better sounding compared to K33 for midrange? Is the bass that much different? My mid-80s home lascalas came with K43. I left them in there. I did pick up a pair of K33s from here, that I might try swapping in some day. I haven't been in a big hurry, there are sooo many screws on the bottom plates and it's generally a pain for me at least. Thanks, good luck to OP! Looks like he found what he needed. 👍

A cordless electric screw gun makes it easier to open the cabinet, but you are fine the way you have it, especially when you turn up the volume!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 10:29 PM, absolve2525 said:

@absolve2525, I have owned three different pairs of La Scalas over the past few years.

The first two were “home” versions with the K-33. Having read the impressions of others on this forum upon trying Kappa 15C woofers in their LS, I gave it a shot. They were everything they said they were, and a bag of chips.

I was finally lucky enough to find my last pair of La Scalas, LSI Splits, and they came with cast frame K-43s.

Here me out on this. Initial impressions were dismal, so I decided to swap them out with K-33s. While I was in there I noticed the woofer mounting screws were loose, to the point of rattling. I went ahead with the K-33 swap anyway. The Kappa 15Cs were in boxes if needed...

After a month or so I swapped the K-43s back in, and this time the bolts were tight.

What a difference in sound. In all of the best ways.

Everything the Kappa 15Cs had brought to my previous La Scalas was back. The woofers had been leaking previously and that’s why they originally sounded so anemic to me.

K-43s bring the mid-bass up substantially, lose little - if anything at all down below, but most importantly they tighten up the bass. The bass hump is far less noticeable in the La Scala using a K-43 or Kappa 15C (cheaper).

You are not missing anything by leaving the K-43s in the doghouse, lol.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:40 PM, geoff. said:

@absolve2525, I have owned three different pairs of La Scalas over the past few years.

The first two were “home” versions with the K-33. Having read the impressions of others on this forum upon trying Kappa 15C woofers in their LS, I gave it a shot. They were everything they said they were, and a bag of chips.

I was finally lucky enough to find my last pair of La Scalas, LSI Splits, and they came with cast frame K-43s.

Here me out on this. Initial impressions were dismal, so I decided to swap them out with K-33s. While I was in there I noticed the woofer mounting screws were loose, to the point of rattling. I went ahead with the K-33 swap anyway. The Kappa 15Cs were in boxes if needed...

After a month or so I swapped the K-43s back in, and this time the bolts were tight.

What a difference in sound. In all of the best ways.

Everything the Kappa 15Cs had brought to my previous La Scalas was back. The woofers had been leaking previously and that’s why they originally sounded so anemic to me.

K-43s bring the mid-bass up substantially, lose little - if anything at all down below, but most importantly they tighten up the bass. The bass hump is far less noticeable in the La Scala using a K-43 or Kappa 15C (cheaper).

You are not missing anything by leaving the K-43s in the doghouse, lol.

I think I may have been the original guy to recommend the 15C for LS and Belles.

Moving a pair of K-43's from MWMs to my LaScalas about 14 years ago and moved the K33's to the MWMs after talking to Gary Gillum, former Klipsch Chief Engineer, who was co-patent holder with PWK on the MWM. This  is how I discovered the superior midrange performance of the K-43 mating up to the K400/K55 when Roy Delgado told the BL product tipped the curve upwards.

Subsequent to that, there was a sale on Kappa 15C's at Parts Express for $109, so I told everyone about which when tried, gave me better performance at a much lower price. I most definitely do NOT recommend the 15C for a Cornwall.......only for a LaScala and Belle as an upgrade to tighten things up in the bass and give a much better midrange detail near 400 Hz. where most of the music is. Not one person ever disagreed with that choice when they tried it, AFAIK.