RIP Michael Collins

DizRotus

The third man involved with the first Moon landing has passed at 90.  How frustrating it must have been to be so close, but never set foot on the Moon?  Without him, Armstrong and Aldrin could not have returned home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/science/michael-collins-third-man-of-the-moon-landing-dies-at-90.html

• Like 3

“I am alone now, truly alone, and absolutely isolated from any known life,” he wrote in recreating his thoughts for his 1974 memoir, “Carrying the Fire.”

Think about that for a moment.

In hindsight, they should have sent him up on the next shot so he could walk on the moon.  Keep it rotating that the guy who stays behind is on the next landing mission.

Interesting days.  I still have a recording that my dad made while we attended the lift off of Apollo 11.  Made on a cheap recorder, I've digitized it and though it's still hokey (dad pretending to be some interviewer talking to his 9 year old son...) when the lift off begins, you can still hear/feel the power of it through capable speakers.  Feed it some power and it will drown you out while shaking things up.

• Like 1

The "Apollo 11" documentary from 2019 was awesome.  I was one month old so I barely remember 😉.  The film not only showed the astronauts and mission control, but scenes from the crowd watching the launch.  RCA must have given everyone sun visors as a promo giveaway, and Krispy Kreme had a donut stand.  Pretty cool.