[Help Needed] Connecting Klipsch Heresy II to Marantz 2230

geraldo

Hi, I would love anyone's advice on helping me properly set up my Heresy 2's to my Marantz 2230 amplifier. So, I have tried to connect the wires to the terminals and the amp but I'm getting a good amount of crackling. I'm new to the home audio game and have an affinity for vintage systems. However, I am a bit frustrated because I am quite certain I may just be connecting the system improperly. 

When I turn on The amp I immediately get loud crackling (the volume isn't even turned up at all!)

If this helps at all, the wires I am using are Belden 9497 Audiophile Speaker Cable Wire. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Hello, that amp dates from 1974. Do you know if it has been gone over by a tech? If not, you should use deoxit on all of the pots and twist them left and right several times. Take the cover off so you can get at the pots. If that doesn't correct it, you probably have one or more components going bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geraldo said:

When I turn on The amp I immediately get loud crackling (the volume isn't even turned up at all!)

does the amplifier do the same crackling  sound without the speakers being connected ?

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies, it is greatly appreciated. I believe it's just the amplifier (the wires are brand new) and I've tested the speakers separately and they worked just fine.

Here's a photo of the connections.

Truly appreciate all of the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_5652.jpgIMG_5651.jpg
  • Like 1

Buy a can of deoxit electronic spray, it costs around 5 to 10 dollars. Take your amp and take it off the powergrid. Open it and find the pots of the volume,  balance, treble and basd etc. Spray them precisely and turn them back and forth to get rid of dirt, dust and oxidation. It should improve a lot. You may have to repeat this after a while. 

This is the most likely cause. 

Your combo will blow you away! 

• Like 2

Thank you so much guys!

So, it seems that my best best (for now) is to deoxidize the interior with an electric spray and hopefully this will make the sound (namely the crackling) a lot better?

Again, my apologies for the lack of knowledge on this topic. I'm here to learn--and you all have been incredibly helpful, actually.

Best,

GR

Edited by geraldo
  • Like 1

I have a 2230 as well.  Mine crackles a fair bit on startup.  I usually turn it on with the speaker selector turned to “off”.  Let the amp settle for a minute or two and then turn the speakers to “on”.  As others have mentioned, deoxit on the pots also helps.  
   If you are so inclined, you can get a full rebuild kit from irebuildmarantz.com .  I just got started rebuilding mine last week.  It will be like a brand new unit when done.  You will need to have some experience soldering parts to circuit boards to do this yourself.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I just got started rebuilding mine last week.  It will be like a brand new unit when done.  You will need to have some experience soldering parts to circuit boards to do this yourself.  

And is that a smart thing to do? 

On every level, the answer is YES ! 

• Like 1

One of my H/K 430s needs certain caps replaced. As mentioned above, When I first turn it on I don't adjust anything for a couple of minutes, or adjusting the volume will be super loud and scratchy... After a couple of minutes, it can be adjusted with no issues.

It's currently awaiting some updating.

Hello Geraldo, 

I have cleaned my Marantz 2235 a few weeks ago. I noticed on some forums and Deoxit reviews it was strongly mentioned by some that you need two Deoxit products. The normal Deoxit D5 (red can) and the green Deoxit F5 can (faderlube), which you use after as coating. Apparently if you don't use the Faderlube after, you need to repeat the cleaning every once in a while. 

I bought the small size red can, which is enough. I cleaned every pot twice before closing and moved the slider and the knobs like 50 times per cleaning to make sure the dirt is removed. You will probably feel the knobs rotating more easy after.

I found the following video the most easy to see on where to clean:

I suggest you also read the following post on cleaning, it will give you an idea on what to do and what not to do:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

As mentioned by others, I have also new caps, but the cleaning with Deoxit is a very good start. For me it fixed some sound issues.

Edited by PieterH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PieterH said:

As mentioned by others, I have also new caps, but the cleaning with Deoxit is a very good start. For me it fixed some sound issues.

In my case, my HK430 's crackle was gone immediately, but then it also started sounding much brighter *a few days later*!

Volume and tone potentiometers (pots) work by moving a slider around an arc-shaped piece of carbon/graphite.  When the slider is near the contact point, the current travels only a short distance, so resistance is at its lowest, meaning volume will be highest.  As the knob is turned toward Low volume, the slider is moved around the arc, so the current has to travel further along the resistive material, increasing the resistance through the pot, lowering the volume.

That’s roughly how they work.  The point is that after many years, some of the resistive material is worn off the arc and builds up where it doesn’t belong, causing crackling noises.  The DeOxit can rinse that out, plus any actual dirt that has found its way into the pot.  This can restore the operation of the pots to something like when they were new.

• Like 1