McIntosh MC2505 McIntosh C32 paired with Heresy 2s

formanj

Looking into purchasing an MC2505 amplifier to pair with a C32 Preamp that I just purchased.  A few questions for those "in the know".

1. Is this a good amplifier to drive the Heresy 2s?

2. My Heresy 2s are marked 4ohm on the terminals.  Would I select 4 ohm on the 2505 amplifier?

Any opinions are welcome, for I am just getting into McIntosh, Klipsch, and audiophile quality equipment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, formanj said:

Looking into purchasing an MC2505 amplifier to pair with a C32 Preamp that I just purchased.  A few questions for those "in the know".

2. My Heresy 2s are marked 4ohm on the terminals.  Would I select 4 ohm on the 2505 amplifier?

Any opinions are welcome, for I am just getting into McIntosh, Klipsch, and audiophile quality equipment.

4 Ohm taps on the rear of the 2505 ?

2505 has a following as does the 2205,

I have had the later since it was new, sounds great with everything

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses!  I am heading out today to pick up the amplifier.  I am currently driving the Heresy speakers with a Marantz 2245, and they sound great, but I am looking forward to hearing them sing with the McIntosh units!  

5 minutes ago, formanj said:

Thanks for the responses!  I am heading out today to pick up the amplifier.  I am currently driving the Heresy speakers with a Marantz 2245, and they sound great, but I am looking forward to hearing them sing with the McIntosh units!  

Plan on recaping the unit if it hasn't been done already.

Same for the C-32

Both are on my long to do list

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Plan on recaping the unit if it hasn't been done already.

Same for the C-32

Both are on my long to do list

The amplifier and preamp have both been professionally serviced within the last two years.  I do, however, have a local guy who is going to inspect them both.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, formanj said:

The amplifier and preamp have both been professionally serviced within the last two years.  I do, however, have a local guy who is going to inspect them both.

If you have the green

get them recapped if it hasn't been done. $300 + $300

Giant filter caps on the amp can be pricey.

Search audio karma for your unit's  parts lists and prices; and common problems, like the diodes and meters or a known problem switch. If the parts are cheap and available, just change them out.

C-32 has a common issues list like ribbon cable de-lamination, replace with: factory, after market or your tech probably has miles of generic in his parts room, or direct wire like a field repair.

On off switches on the Amps are suspect, if replacements are available may be a good idea along with the power relay.

Diodes on the amps are suspect too, cheap enough to just replace all of them and forget about them.

If your guy can get or stocks good quality bulbs, may be good to change them out after 35 years....Don't try to switch to LEDs.

Collect all of the worthwhile information on a printed copy for the tech along with the Service and User Manuals with good schematics for your units. Ask who has them on AK after you search the forum, readily available.

It will save the tech time, and leave more time for doing a good un-rushed job. Also look for the names of the suppliers with the hard to find parts on AK, the factory is also a good source.

I put all of it on a CD for my tech, which saved him lots of time.

Evaluation may be fast, waiting for parts can take a week or two then getting back on the bench for install and test.

See if your guy can take a thermal image of the unit to look for tired transistors, can also be done old school by touch.

Also ask him to measure and verify the various voltage levels on the power supply outputs, should only take a minute.

Also deoxit all of the carbon disc potentiometers and switches which takes some time, once at night then the next day to flush out the trash. $100 2hrs? May be a good idea to buy a can of Deoxit and bring it in with your unit, relatively expensive for the tech to use on every unit he works on.  "somebody said this stuff is good, so I picked up a can"

After the rebuild, you may have to bring it back in for some minor issues that you observe and document for the tech. Be sure to use all of the features every day when you get it back. The C-32 is loaded, even has it's own speaker terminals and built in amp.

Re-cap and cleaning should get you 10-20 years problem free.

Maybe after the first year, take them back in and have the tech inspect them and put them on an oscilloscope

to ensure happiness and tranquility $100

My mother, who was 80 at the time, purchased a 40 year roof with warranty for her home

she didn't want to deal with it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formanj said:

I am currently driving the Heresy speakers with a Marantz 2245, and they sound great, but I am looking forward to hearing them sing with the McIntosh units!  

nothing wrong with a Marantz 2245 , this is a very good integrated amp , you may see a small improvement with the McIntosh  preamp  but the Marantz is no slouch  , the 4 ohms taps should wake up the speakers as they will draw more power from the amplifier

• Like 1

18 hours ago, formanj said:

The 2505 is an MC250 with meters.  Same internal amplifier.  The H2s will like it, as well as the C32.

• Like 2

The MC2505 turned out to be an excellent choice for my Heresy IIs!  When compared to the Marantz 2245, the MC2505 brings a bit more to the low end, for it pushes the woofers a bit more than the Marantz did. I know that this is the MC2505 at work because I am still using the Marantz 2245 as a preamp while my C32 Preamp is getting its tone controls cleaned up.

Love the McIntosh look, and the sound is fantastic!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1