Best side surrounds for Forte ?

Yeats

Noob question. I'm being given my Dad's mint condition Forte I's and I need some suggestions for side surrounds. Timbre matching is important but it's not everything to me. I'm using a Pioneer Elite SC-67 AVR, running 180w per channel (I think?) and have decided to get a Klipsch Academy center because timbre matching is more important in the front three IMHO. I'll be adding at least one sub, probably SVS or HSU.  The room is medium sized (maybe 15 x 20 at most) and can be entirely closed off for a four wall box effect. It is a first floor apartment in an older building but it's in a noisier area.

My basic question is should I go for KG4s, Heresys or eschew concerns regarding sound matching altogether on the sides and get something like the RP-600m?

Edited by Yeats

I had KG4s as surrounds with forte mains and really liked the combination.

I will say this, though:  If timbre matching your front LCR is important to you I would highly suggest not getting an Academy.  I tried one with Heresy mains and couldn't stand how different it sounded.

A third forte would be the best choice, then a Quartet or Heresy as a center. 

Academies all around. I once had a Forte II L/R and acedemy center/acemedy left surround/acedemy right surround.

For movies I don't think the latter khorn/Belle/khorn and 4x Heresy sounded all that better.

Music yes movies not really

Rplace,

Not that I have the option of doing Khorns with 4x Heresys at the moment (I WISH), but I do want to use the system (only looking for 5.1 for now) for music as well. I listen to a lot of HD tracks, concert videos and I'm getting my Pop's Thorens turntable which will replace my Vestax. I remember he was allowed to play his jazz loud on Sunday mornings and the Fortes were pretty magic even though they shook my bed around as a wake up call :) As long as the surrounds and center don't stick out like a sore thumb sonically next to the Forte pair, I'll be okay with it. For most straight audio listening, I think I'll be going 2.1. So, I have a couple of votes for Academy, one strongly opposed and a couple of other suggestions including KG4. Thank you!

Edited by Yeats
  • Like 1

Welcome. Thanks for dropping by here. I liked Islanders suggestion the best. Timbre match all of your base. Timbre match all of your height. I would be willing to compromise for the surround position and suggest Quartet for the surround channels. Some rooms can get away with as little as 8 inches of open space behind the passive. If they are positioned toward the rear of your seating position and not actually on the side I like them raised at least 18" and toed-in. Do not put your main seating position up against the back wall. While you search for your purchase, if you happen find a pair of Chorus then your golden. Put the Forte's in the surround position and you are done for a very long while. RP-600M are for height channels in that setup. Multi channel music, 2 channel, movies, who cares, just hit the button and put on what ever speakers you want to listen to what ever decoder you choose.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I had KG4s as surrounds with forte mains and really liked the combination.

I will say this, though:  If timbre matching your front LCR is important to you I would highly suggest not getting an Academy.  I tried one with Heresy mains and couldn't stand how different it sounded.

A third forte would be the best choice, then a Quartet or Heresy as a center. 

I ran an academy with  chorus I's and didn't really like it. The academy bass for me didn't seem to match the I's. Nice speaker just didn't work well for me as a center. Did a DIY chorus center, much better.

• Like 1