Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Yash

Low dialogue while watching movies

Recommended Posts

I have a R-41 PM and a R-120SW connected to my TV via optical. When watching movies the dialogue is very Low compared to my 5 year old soundbar. The two channel setup has a much more immersive experience but how do fix the dialogue issue I am having? Any advice or tips?

 

If these speakers are just built this way do you think higher end models like the R-51PM or the Fives might make a difference?

 

Cheers

Yash

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the answer.  Most people with stereo TV have a center channel (largely dialog) that can be turned up.

 

Some TVs have a built in equalizer -- see manual.  If yours does, and if it affects the optical output, turning up the treble, perhaps above about 3,000 Hz (above almost all fundamentals) might make the dialogue crisper and more intelligible.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Yash said:

I have a R-41 PM and a R-120SW connected to my TV via optical. When watching movies the dialogue is very Low compared to my 5 year old soundbar. The two channel setup has a much more immersive experience but how do fix the dialogue issue I am having? Any advice or tips?

 

If these speakers are just built this way do you think higher end models like the R-51PM or the Fives might make a difference?

 

Cheers

Yash

What protocol are you using between the TV and the audio in on the Klipsch ?

What are the choices on the TV out put

Does the TV have a downmix to Stereo option ?

 

I would try PCM out with stereo downmix for 5.1 and turn off dolby or anything else

Basically run it as straight stereo, I listened this way for years and loved it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bubo said:

What protocol are you using between the TV and the audio in on the Klipsch ?

What are the choices on the TV out put

Does the TV have a downmix to Stereo option ?

 

I would try PCM out with stereo downmix for 5.1 and turn off dolby or anything else

Basically run it as straight stereo, I listened this way for years and loved it.

 

 

I think those last two sentences are the key as the manual (page 7) has footer that indicates that for the optical out "Your TV will need to be set to PCM (or Stereo Only).

 

Based on your description it sounds like the tv is outputting a 5.1 mix to the speakers and you're only hearing the front L, front R, and subwoofer and the R-41PM is discarding the excess channel information from the PCM stream, which would include the majority of the dialogue except for the faint center channel volume sent to the front surrounds to increase the image width.

 

If that doesn't work, try disabling the Dynamic Bass EQ (page18) - I don't think that is the issue but worth a shot.  Also make sure you're set to "line" (I believe the Klipsch Quick Start Guide may contain an error and have the settings reversed).

 

Disclaimer: I neither work for Klipsch nor own this product.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 9:55 AM, garyrc said:

I don't know the answer.  Most people with stereo TV have a center channel (largely dialog) that can be turned up.

 

Some TVs have a built in equalizer -- see manual.  If yours does, and if it affects the optical output, turning up the treble, perhaps above about 3,000 Hz (above almost all fundamentals) might make the dialogue crisper and more intelligible.

 

 

Thanks Gary, unfortunately once I select my tv sound output to optical the built in tv equaliser is disabled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bubo said:

What protocol are you using between the TV and the audio in on the Klipsch ?

What are the choices on the TV out put

Does the TV have a downmix to Stereo option ?

 

I would try PCM out with stereo downmix for 5.1 and turn off dolby or anything else

Basically run it as straight stereo, I listened this way for years and loved it.

 

Protocol is Digital Optical Audio out ( if this is the right term)

 

choices are hdmi arc or optical but my r-41pm only supports optical. 
 

TV doesn’t have a downmix option but I only stream movies for the Netflix etc apps. Maybe I should try switching the audio on the apps to 2ch or stereo. I’ll try that and see if it makes difference.

 

Yes PCM is already selected and if I don’t select PCM the speaker gives out a weird noise.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BadChile said:

 

I think those last two sentences are the key as the manual (page 7) has footer that indicates that for the optical out "Your TV will need to be set to PCM (or Stereo Only).

 

Based on your description it sounds like the tv is outputting a 5.1 mix to the speakers and you're only hearing the front L, front R, and subwoofer and the R-41PM is discarding the excess channel information from the PCM stream, which would include the majority of the dialogue except for the faint center channel volume sent to the front surrounds to increase the image width.

 

If that doesn't work, try disabling the Dynamic Bass EQ (page18) - I don't think that is the issue but worth a shot.  Also make sure you're set to "line" (I believe the Klipsch Quick Start Guide may contain an error and have the settings reversed).

 

Disclaimer: I neither work for Klipsch nor own this product.


yep tv is already set to PCM and I believe you are right that it’s outputting a 5.1 signal. I only tried this with a couple of movies via the in built streaming app ie Netflix and Apple TV and haven’t adjusted the output audio on my Netflix app. I’ll try that to see if there’s a difference . 
 

Didn’t understand the ‘line’ comment. How do I set to ‘line’?

 

cheers

yash 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PCM & stereo

 

I would also turn off the bass boost on the Klipsch gear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bubo said:

PCM & stereo

 

I would also turn off the bass boost on the Klipsch gear

Tried that already and it’s still the same :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Yash said:

Tried that already and it’s still the same :(

The problem is not the speakers

 

For whatever reason the center channel is missing

 

What is connected to the klipsch ? the tv ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bubo said:

The problem is not the speakers

 

For whatever reason the center channel is missing

 

What is connected to the klipsch ? the tv ?

Yea the tv optical out is connected to the klipsch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always set my audio in Netflix to stereo and not 5.1. You have to do it for each movie/stream.  At least we do. We always run subtitles as well. My wife's English is fine, but she is from the Philippines and likes them on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Marvel said:

I always set my audio in Netflix to stereo and not 5.1. You have to do it for each movie/stream.  At least we do. We always run subtitles as well. My wife's English is fine, but she is from the Philippines and likes them on. 

Thanks Marvel, I can’t seem to change the audio on netflix app. On my old TV that was possible but looks like the newer ones don’t allow you too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Are you sure? All my sources connected to Netflix allow to select a stereo stream in the Netlix app itself, you can find it where the different languages are available.

Hope this helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) The reference above was for the line/phono selector on the back of the Klipsch speakers.  I suspect that the optical input bypasses this switch but sometimes engineers get creative.  Make sure it is set to "line"

2) What make/model TV do you have?  Some tv's are known for quirks (like my 6-Series TCL is known for turning on the 'soap opera effect' when a firmware update is pushed down to the tv), someone here might have the same model and can provide some advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BadChile said:

1) The reference above was for the line/phono selector on the back of the Klipsch speakers.  I suspect that the optical input bypasses this switch but sometimes engineers get creative.  Make sure it is set to "line"

2) What make/model TV do you have?  Some tv's are known for quirks (like my 6-Series TCL is known for turning on the 'soap opera effect' when a firmware update is pushed down to the tv), someone here might have the same model and can provide some advice.

Yeah I switch it to line and it’s still the same. I tried installing Spotify and played music through the same out (optical) and it works fine with vocals really clear. So I presume it’s the apps like Netflix, prime and Apple TV forcing a 5.1 or some other protocol to the optical output.

 

it’s a Samsung TU8000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruising around the internet it seems like there was a firmware update pushed down in February than is causing some apps to revert back to a 5.1 signal, overriding the global setting on the tv, and I have yet to find anyone indicating that the issue has been resolved.  That does not mean it is without hope, though - again, I own neither the speakers nor the tv.

 

1) Try updating the firmware.  Settings -> Support -> Software Update -> Update Now.

2) Note that there is an item in the manual (page 20) that indicates "You must turn on the external audio device before connecting the audio cable" which is 100% opposite what I suspect everyone on this thread normally does.  Give that a shot.

3) In another strange thing in the manual on page 20 it states that Digital Audio is only available with 5.1 channel broadcasts (considering you can set 2.0 sound...seems odd).  While playing audio, Go into the Advanced Sound Settings.  Settings -> Sound -> Expert Settings.  From there, change the Digital Output Audio Format to Optical and PCM (if it allows - I love manuals that just tell you to do something without showing the menu).  It may be set to "auto" right now, and if on auto it may default to 5.1 even for 2.0 broadcasts despite all other settings.

4) Worst case: Does Bluetooth audio work?  Give that a shot.  Yeah, Bluetooth sucks (true), is a lossy format (true), sometimes drops out (true), why doesn't the optical cable work (true) and this should be plug and play (true).  This might be a work around until Samsung pushes an update.

5) Ok, Bluetooth is the worst case.  Does RCA work?  If so, I'd use that over Bluetooth, but I have a giant box of all types of cables in my basement and surely have an RCA cable.  You may be a better person and not have that box, in which case, Bluetooth it is.  Me?  I'd go RCA if it worked.

 

Good luck.  Hopefully this works.  If not.....buy a new tv.  I've bought new tvs and audio gear on worse excuses.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...