Low dialogue while watching movies

Yash

I have a R-41 PM and a R-120SW connected to my TV via optical. When watching movies the dialogue is very Low compared to my 5 year old soundbar. The two channel setup has a much more immersive experience but how do fix the dialogue issue I am having? Any advice or tips?

If these speakers are just built this way do you think higher end models like the R-51PM or the Fives might make a difference?

Cheers

Yash

• Like 1

I don't know the answer.  Most people with stereo TV have a center channel (largely dialog) that can be turned up.

Some TVs have a built in equalizer -- see manual.  If yours does, and if it affects the optical output, turning up the treble, perhaps above about 3,000 Hz (above almost all fundamentals) might make the dialogue crisper and more intelligible.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yash said:

I have a R-41 PM and a R-120SW connected to my TV via optical. When watching movies the dialogue is very Low compared to my 5 year old soundbar. The two channel setup has a much more immersive experience but how do fix the dialogue issue I am having? Any advice or tips?

If these speakers are just built this way do you think higher end models like the R-51PM or the Fives might make a difference?

Cheers

Yash

What protocol are you using between the TV and the audio in on the Klipsch ?

What are the choices on the TV out put

Does the TV have a downmix to Stereo option ?

I would try PCM out with stereo downmix for 5.1 and turn off dolby or anything else

Basically run it as straight stereo, I listened this way for years and loved it.

17 minutes ago, Bubo said:

I would try PCM out with stereo downmix for 5.1 and turn off dolby or anything else

Basically run it as straight stereo, I listened this way for years and loved it.

I think those last two sentences are the key as the manual (page 7) has footer that indicates that for the optical out "Your TV will need to be set to PCM (or Stereo Only).

Based on your description it sounds like the tv is outputting a 5.1 mix to the speakers and you're only hearing the front L, front R, and subwoofer and the R-41PM is discarding the excess channel information from the PCM stream, which would include the majority of the dialogue except for the faint center channel volume sent to the front surrounds to increase the image width.

If that doesn't work, try disabling the Dynamic Bass EQ (page18) - I don't think that is the issue but worth a shot.  Also make sure you're set to "line" (I believe the Klipsch Quick Start Guide may contain an error and have the settings reversed).

Disclaimer: I neither work for Klipsch nor own this product.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:55 AM, garyrc said:

I don't know the answer.  Most people with stereo TV have a center channel (largely dialog) that can be turned up.

Some TVs have a built in equalizer -- see manual.  If yours does, and if it affects the optical output, turning up the treble, perhaps above about 3,000 Hz (above almost all fundamentals) might make the dialogue crisper and more intelligible.

Thanks Gary, unfortunately once I select my tv sound output to optical the built in tv equaliser is disabled. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bubo said:

Protocol is Digital Optical Audio out ( if this is the right term)

choices are hdmi arc or optical but my r-41pm only supports optical. 

TV doesn’t have a downmix option but I only stream movies for the Netflix etc apps. Maybe I should try switching the audio on the apps to 2ch or stereo. I’ll try that and see if it makes difference.

Yes PCM is already selected and if I don’t select PCM the speaker gives out a weird noise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BadChile said:

I think those last two sentences are the key as the manual (page 7) has footer that indicates that for the optical out "Your TV will need to be set to PCM (or Stereo Only).

Based on your description it sounds like the tv is outputting a 5.1 mix to the speakers and you're only hearing the front L, front R, and subwoofer and the R-41PM is discarding the excess channel information from the PCM stream, which would include the majority of the dialogue except for the faint center channel volume sent to the front surrounds to increase the image width.

If that doesn't work, try disabling the Dynamic Bass EQ (page18) - I don't think that is the issue but worth a shot.  Also make sure you're set to "line" (I believe the Klipsch Quick Start Guide may contain an error and have the settings reversed).

Disclaimer: I neither work for Klipsch nor own this product.

yep tv is already set to PCM and I believe you are right that it’s outputting a 5.1 signal. I only tried this with a couple of movies via the in built streaming app ie Netflix and Apple TV and haven’t adjusted the output audio on my Netflix app. I’ll try that to see if there’s a difference . 

Didn’t understand the ‘line’ comment. How do I set to ‘line’?

cheers

yash 

43 minutes ago, Yash said:

Tried that already and it’s still the same :(

The problem is not the speakers

For whatever reason the center channel is missing

What is connected to the klipsch ? the tv ?

8 hours ago, Bubo said:

The problem is not the speakers

For whatever reason the center channel is missing

What is connected to the klipsch ? the tv ?

Yea the tv optical out is connected to the klipsch

I always set my audio in Netflix to stereo and not 5.1. You have to do it for each movie/stream.  At least we do. We always run subtitles as well. My wife's English is fine, but she is from the Philippines and likes them on. 

On 5/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, Marvel said:

I always set my audio in Netflix to stereo and not 5.1. You have to do it for each movie/stream.  At least we do. We always run subtitles as well. My wife's English is fine, but she is from the Philippines and likes them on. 

Thanks Marvel, I can’t seem to change the audio on netflix app. On my old TV that was possible but looks like the newer ones don’t allow you too.

1) The reference above was for the line/phono selector on the back of the Klipsch speakers.  I suspect that the optical input bypasses this switch but sometimes engineers get creative.  Make sure it is set to "line"

2) What make/model TV do you have?  Some tv's are known for quirks (like my 6-Series TCL is known for turning on the 'soap opera effect' when a firmware update is pushed down to the tv), someone here might have the same model and can provide some advice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BadChile said:

1) The reference above was for the line/phono selector on the back of the Klipsch speakers.  I suspect that the optical input bypasses this switch but sometimes engineers get creative.  Make sure it is set to "line"

2) What make/model TV do you have?  Some tv's are known for quirks (like my 6-Series TCL is known for turning on the 'soap opera effect' when a firmware update is pushed down to the tv), someone here might have the same model and can provide some advice.

Yeah I switch it to line and it’s still the same. I tried installing Spotify and played music through the same out (optical) and it works fine with vocals really clear. So I presume it’s the apps like Netflix, prime and Apple TV forcing a 5.1 or some other protocol to the optical output.

it’s a Samsung TU8000

Cruising around the internet it seems like there was a firmware update pushed down in February than is causing some apps to revert back to a 5.1 signal, overriding the global setting on the tv, and I have yet to find anyone indicating that the issue has been resolved.  That does not mean it is without hope, though - again, I own neither the speakers nor the tv.

1) Try updating the firmware.  Settings -> Support -> Software Update -> Update Now.

2) Note that there is an item in the manual (page 20) that indicates "You must turn on the external audio device before connecting the audio cable" which is 100% opposite what I suspect everyone on this thread normally does.  Give that a shot.

3) In another strange thing in the manual on page 20 it states that Digital Audio is only available with 5.1 channel broadcasts (considering you can set 2.0 sound...seems odd).  While playing audio, Go into the Advanced Sound Settings.  Settings -> Sound -> Expert Settings.  From there, change the Digital Output Audio Format to Optical and PCM (if it allows - I love manuals that just tell you to do something without showing the menu).  It may be set to "auto" right now, and if on auto it may default to 5.1 even for 2.0 broadcasts despite all other settings.

4) Worst case: Does Bluetooth audio work?  Give that a shot.  Yeah, Bluetooth sucks (true), is a lossy format (true), sometimes drops out (true), why doesn't the optical cable work (true) and this should be plug and play (true).  This might be a work around until Samsung pushes an update.

5) Ok, Bluetooth is the worst case.  Does RCA work?  If so, I'd use that over Bluetooth, but I have a giant box of all types of cables in my basement and surely have an RCA cable.  You may be a better person and not have that box, in which case, Bluetooth it is.  Me?  I'd go RCA if it worked.

Good luck.  Hopefully this works.  If not.....buy a new tv.  I've bought new tvs and audio gear on worse excuses.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 11:17 PM, BadChile said:

Cruising around the internet it seems like there was a firmware update pushed down in February than is causing some apps to revert back to a 5.1 signal, overriding the global setting on the tv, and I have yet to find anyone indicating that the issue has been resolved.  That does not mean it is without hope, though - again, I own neither the speakers nor the tv.

1) Try updating the firmware.  Settings -> Support -> Software Update -> Update Now.

2) Note that there is an item in the manual (page 20) that indicates "You must turn on the external audio device before connecting the audio cable" which is 100% opposite what I suspect everyone on this thread normally does.  Give that a shot.

3) In another strange thing in the manual on page 20 it states that Digital Audio is only available with 5.1 channel broadcasts (considering you can set 2.0 sound...seems odd).  While playing audio, Go into the Advanced Sound Settings.  Settings -> Sound -> Expert Settings.  From there, change the Digital Output Audio Format to Optical and PCM (if it allows - I love manuals that just tell you to do something without showing the menu).  It may be set to "auto" right now, and if on auto it may default to 5.1 even for 2.0 broadcasts despite all other settings.

4) Worst case: Does Bluetooth audio work?  Give that a shot.  Yeah, Bluetooth sucks (true), is a lossy format (true), sometimes drops out (true), why doesn't the optical cable work (true) and this should be plug and play (true).  This might be a work around until Samsung pushes an update.

5) Ok, Bluetooth is the worst case.  Does RCA work?  If so, I'd use that over Bluetooth, but I have a giant box of all types of cables in my basement and surely have an RCA cable.  You may be a better person and not have that box, in which case, Bluetooth it is.  Me?  I'd go RCA if it worked.

Good luck.  Hopefully this works.  If not.....buy a new tv.  I've bought new tvs and audio gear on worse excuses.

Thanks for the suggestions. Really appreciate you searching for solutions.

So here’s what I’ve tried and I think it’s right that the software is constantly outputting 5.1.

I tired using Bluetooth connection and it still has the same issue. But when I tried connecting my phone through Bluetooth and watch the exact show on Netflix through my phone the dialogue was louder.

So now I am thinking if one there DACs might solve my issue. I have no experience with using DACs.

https://drop.com/buy/fx-audio-dac-x6

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

on the hand my tv is only a week and a half old and it has backlight led issues after getting it exchanged once already. So I am getting a slightly upgraded version (Qled60T) which is also a Samsung and feel the software will give me the same issues.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:28 AM, Yash said:

So now I am thinking if one there DACs might solve my issue. I have no experience with using DACs.

https://drop.com/buy/fx-audio-dac-x6

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

NO

On 5/12/2021 at 3:28 AM, Yash said:

on the hand my tv is only a week and a half old and it has backlight led issues after getting it exchanged once already. So I am getting a slightly upgraded version (Qled60T) which is also a Samsung and feel the software will give me the same issues.

Maybe if the next model downmixes 5.1 to 2.0 pcm