Murphy's Oil Soap on Heresy IVs

I have a pair of Heresy IVs in Natural Cherry which I believe have a satin lacquer finish. I Have read that Murphy’s Oil Soap is safe to use on veneer and can serve as a polish. I am considering using it on my IVs. Does anyone have experience using this product or have any suggestions on how to apply it? Is it safe to use?

Any other comments on this subject would be appreciated.

Edited by Joe Carter
spelling

That is the only product I have used on all my speakers, all the heritage stuff I have owned etc. it even made my K402 horns that I had look a deeper black. I remember my Mom always using it on all the wood furniture when I was a kid LOL

Rich

I've used it on wood floors for mopping

I would not use it on any veneer, water.

Do you know that your speakers have a clear coat on them ?

If yes, oil would do nothing;  if no, it could cause the veneer to swell, become grainy, and possibly separate.

I have oiled walnut, and usually just use a cotton cloth to dust them

Every few months I clean everything with a clean micro fiber, rinsed in warm water with a small amount of dish soap, and wrung dry. You can test it on any room in your house with a just water rise bucket, and a dish soap bucket then wrung moist, on the walls. You may wash every wall in the house after you try it. The 20 packs of micro fibers they sell at Costco work great.

My two cents

3 hours ago, Joe Carter said:

I have a pair of Heresy IVs in Natural Cherry which I believe have a satin lacquer finish. I Have read that Murphy’s Oil Soap is safe to use on veneer and can serve as a polish. I am considering using it on my IVs. Does anyone have experience using this product or have any suggestions on how to apply it? Is it safe to use?

Any other comments on this subject would be appreciated.

Why?  Are they that dirty?  How about a microfiber cloth?  Anything else is a gamble.

• Like 2

Older model Heresys and other Heritage speakers have either a raw or an oiled finish.  Those speakers can benefit from being oiled, but after about 2006 or so, most of the speakers come with a lacquered finish.  This includes Heresy III and IV.

DO NOT OIL LACQUERED SPEAKERS.  IT WILL RUIN THE FINISH.

mikebse2a3  is right.  If you don’t believe him or me, believe your owner’s manual.  Use a dry cloth to clean your speakers, nothing else.

It is all my mother would use on all of our woodwork in our house. I also use it as well and might have used it on my speakers back in the day. I believe it to be the best thing to use on any wood product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Gil is absolutely right about its potential destructiveness on fine finishes.  it greatly darkens and increases light-to-dark contrast in veneer grain. I had to have my mahogany lacquer Style B K-horns re-finished in order to dissolve out the discoloration from the lye.  I don't think they've ever fully recovered.  Who puts lye on a varnish finish?  

Great for Zebrawood!

-- Larry